U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 06:00 PM

13,425 posts, read 21,879,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Right. I imagine Atlanta leaders of the past and present equate "international city" with how tall their skyscrapers are. Uh, I beg to differ...lol.

Yes! Look at Boston, Philadelphia, or all of the European and Latin American cities...cities with relatively low or no skyscrapers. And many, if not most, are considered "international."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 08:16 PM

107 posts, read 139,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
4) A building is concrete, glass, and steel - nothing more. It houses offices space and possibly a hotel or condos. It does nothing to solve traffic problems, air quality, or crime. It's just a building. Funny comments about being "international" by the developers in that article - as though building this, people will suddenly see it and go, "Oh.. my gawd... Atlanta certainly is international now! lol
Buildings provide jobs and bring more people downtown lol. Don't be such a stinker Greg.

Btw would BOA be jealous of this building if built lol?

Old 09-23-2008, 08:38 PM

22,626 posts, read 34,714,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
Gee I hadn't thought of that possibilty. Where did you hear that ICG might be the anchor tenant?

If that's happens then this tower has a high probability of getting built.
Some inside talk by a friend of mine that is an exec there...certainly far from a done deal, but I was told that the prospect of the signage atop a signature building was 'alluring'.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:03 PM

1,472 posts, read 1,650,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Right. I imagine Atlanta leaders of the past and present equate "international city" with how tall their skyscrapers are. Uh, I beg to differ...lol.
I think the architect that made the comment was simply referring to architecture (not height) that could become as recognizable as Atlanta as some buildings that immediately identify other international cities.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:17 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,142,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
I think the architect that made the comment was simply referring to architecture (not height) that could become as recognizable as Atlanta as some buildings that immediately identify other international cities.
Maybe it'll have a large neon Peach on top surrounded by Coke bottles, then.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:28 PM

So funny how much negativity this announcement has generated here. It's like telling a kid that just achieved something great that despite that he'll never amount to anything.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:56 PM

321 posts, read 995,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martarider View Post
Finally, a real skyscraper to put those silly fools in Nashville back in their place

70-story tower eyed for Midtown - Atlanta Business Chronicle:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
So funny how much negativity this announcement has generated here. It's like telling a kid that just achieved something great that despite that he'll never amount to anything.
Oh gosh, gee I wonder why? Didn't the thread start with a bit of negativity towards another capital city for no reason? Oh sure, let's "put down" Nashville, TN ... so ATL can look better? Yeah ... sure ... right ... anything you say.

I think this comment amounted to "the cloud calling the raindrop wet"

Old 09-23-2008, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswlguy View Post
Oh gosh, gee I wonder why? Didn't the thread start with a bit of negativity towards another capital city for no reason? Oh sure, let's "put down" Nashville, TN ... so ATL can look better? Yeah ... sure ... right ... anything you say.

I think this comment amounted to "the cloud calling the raindrop wet"
Well, that is true; no point in dragging Nashville into it.

Old 09-24-2008, 03:54 AM

13,425 posts, read 21,879,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post

Old 09-24-2008, 08:58 AM

7,213 posts, read 9,995,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Yes! Look at Boston, Philadelphia, or all of the European and Latin American cities...cities with relatively low or no skyscrapers. And many, if not most, are considered "international."
Older established "international" cities will hold the reputation they have without "tall" architecture, but one of the sure fire ways for a city that hasn't been on that list to get noticed is with skyscrapers. Who would have ever considered Kuala Lumpur on any list before the Petronas Towers? Who would even know where Dubai is without the massive growth there? if they had spread the same square footage flat over the desert would it have made the impression it did by going upward?

So, agreed, there are other factors to be ranked "international" but if you have a skyscraper (or two or three) that ranks as one of the tallest in the world, it is an instant ticket to be considered for inclusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or