Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 06:41 AM

274 posts, read 857,040 times

Advertisements

It's none of your bosses business where you live unless he's going to be living with you. I cant believe that someone in this day and time would even be concerned about what a boss thinks. Your boss should only be concerned about your work performance and you should find a place to live that YOU like and is affordable and with the least commute. To hell with what your boss thinks about where you live. [/i]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 07:43 AM

1,499 posts, read 5,078,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
It's none of your bosses business where you live unless he's going to be living with you. I cant believe that someone in this day and time would even be concerned about what a boss thinks. Your boss should only be concerned about your work performance and you should find a place to live that YOU like and is affordable and with the least commute. To hell with what your boss thinks about where you live. [/i]
The OP's question is not an unreasonable post. I personally know of an HR person who will "misplace" resumes from College Park and East Point addresses due to bad experiences in the past. Is is right? No. Is it reality? Yes.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:56 AM

989 posts, read 1,735,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
The OP's question is not an unreasonable post. I personally know of an HR person who will "misplace" resumes from College Park and East Point addresses due to bad experiences in the past. Is is right? No. Is it reality? Yes.
There is no reason to put your home address on your resume. Name, number and email address are sufficient means of communication in todays age. Home addresses on resumes poses a security concern for identity theft and personal safety. A manager should hire the most qualified candidate and not the the one in closest promixity. I would be honest, if asked where I lived. If it a cause for concern, I would ask why and let them know you are in the process of moving.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:19 AM

826 posts, read 3,110,739 times
OhioNative -brings up a good point. This board has many conversations about race, but I have found class to be a huge issue in Atlanta. Some of the comments I get from people , due to the size of my engagement ring, are pretty intrusive. For example, asking someone "Why do you even work" is hardly appropriate, especially at work.

To the Original Poster, just say you live in Buckhead. When I first moved here I lived in Buckhead and didnt even know it.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:26 AM

16,627 posts, read 29,293,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xirt8 View Post
I am moving to Atlanta... I will be working in Buckhead in a "corporate" position... but until I get my own place I will be living with friends from my hometown who live in a "bad neighborhood"... I don't want to raise any red flags when my future employer asks me where I am staying... so where can I say I am living that's the same distance from Buckhead as College Park
There are nice parts of College Park.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:59 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,906,189 times
This is the silliest topic I think I have ever seen.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:27 PM

878 posts, read 2,726,385 times
The OP has a legitimate point and even if we don't think so, let's not judge. Suggestions...Vinings or Midtown are safe bets.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:42 PM

321 posts, read 1,115,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
Absolutely right. I'm NOT exactly sure about the 'address' thing ... however it's AGAINST THE LAW for a prospective employer to ask someone in an interview "How old are you" for one thing. Perhaps this "location issue" may fall under Federal or State guidelines of hiring practices and procedures.

Once again [my favorite saying] another "Bevis and Buckhead" Atlanta situation.

Just shows how unsophisticated some residents perceptions are in Metro Atlanta. Perhaps the OP should just "play dumb" and state they are "not sure" exactly what neighborhood they are in. Ya know, two lights past the "out house", then left at the spitoon ... then 3 cows (goats) past the next road and I'm home ...

Old 10-02-2008, 05:47 PM

321 posts, read 1,115,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
There is no reason to put your home address on your resume. Name, number and email address are sufficient means of communication in todays age. Home addresses on resumes poses a security concern for identity theft and personal safety. A manager should hire the most qualified candidate and not the the one in closest promixity. I would be honest, if asked where I lived. If it a cause for concern, I would ask why and let them know you are in the process of moving.
Ditto ... Ditto ... Ditto ... Ditto and double DITTO. Precisely correct. What if you answered a 'blind' ad ... showed up for the interview from [somewhere, over the rainbow?] and were the fanstastic candidate of the date? Do be disqualified because of zip code, proximity or neighborhood?

The best candidate with the credentials, education, experience and personal interview should be considered first and foremost.

NOT BY YOUR ZIP CODE. Inside/outside, us/them, we/they ... does this place [City of Atlanta] NEVER cease to amaze me after 18 years? Nope.

Another "Bevis and Buckhead" City of Atlanta issue.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:47 PM

77 posts, read 310,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post

The poster already has the job so there is no point in lying.

Wouldn't they need a legitimate mailing address? If you lie and tell your boss you live in "X" neighborhood but your mail goes to "X" neighborhood it just makes you look like a liar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta