U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-19-2008, 03:23 PM
 
13,566 posts, read 22,018,249 times
Reputation: 4587

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I was gonna stop posting on this thread, but I had to reply to this quote because there is a slight error. Charlotte's uptown (downtown) is growing like a weed. Have you ever heard of the Novare group? You should being that the are based in Atlanta. New comers to Charlotte are choosing the urban high rise life too!!! Check out the Charlotte projects Novare is building as well as other cities in the south.
Novare Group - Current Projects (http://www.novaregroup.com/development_projects.html - broken link)

The tallest condo tower in Charlotte is being built by a different group than Novare. This tower will stand 50 plus storeys tall.
The VUE Charlotte (http://www.vuecharlotte.com/vue_content.html - broken link)

Here is my personal video that shows the current construction of The Vue.

YouTube - Urban Charlotte

Atlanta does have more urban options than Charlotte. Nobody is debating that. Atlanta also has more suburban options too. My point is that Charlotte can show a newcomer a rail transit oriented community and a high rise condo too. Atlanta does not have the monopoly on this in dixie anymore thanks to Charlotte.
I will give you this, Mr. Charlotte...

The only three things (and I mean only!) that Charlotte has over Atlanta is...

1) The welcoming attitude to expanding mass transit. The growth of the light rail system, its planned expansions, and the excitement/fervor that the light rail initiative has created in Metro Charlotte is phenomenal.

2) The Charlotte-Mecklenburg school system. What the school sytem has done to create quality schools for all is also phenomenal. Wake County (Raleigh) has also done a cutting-edge job (economic integration). North Carolina is actually a model on how it takes persistence, time, a comprehensive plan, and input for real educators to really turn schools around. North Carolina knows it will take a few decades (not a few years) to see real change in schools and education.

3) The commuter rail connecting Charlotte and the other cities of the Piedmont.


*Atlanta could learn a lot from the three elements listed above...!

 
Old 11-19-2008, 03:24 PM
 
13,566 posts, read 22,018,249 times
Reputation: 4587
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
Well, fortunately with all the development going on in metro Atlanta, there wont be a lot of trees 20-30 years from now.
Doesn't that make you happy, Great Plains?
 
Old 11-19-2008, 03:26 PM
 
Location: West Metro Atlanta
606 posts, read 1,745,904 times
Reputation: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I will give you this, Mr. Charlotte...

The only three things (and I mean only!) that Charlotte has over Atlanta is

1) The welcoming attitude to expanding mass transit. The growth of the light rail system, its planned expansions, and the excitement/fervor that the light rail initiative has created in Metro Charlotte is phenomenal.

2) The Charlotte-Mecklenburg school system. What the school sytem has done to create quality schools for all is also phenomenal. Wake County (Raleigh) has also done a cutting-edge job (economic integration). North Carolina is actually a model on how it takes persistence, time, a comprehensive plan, and input for real educators to really turn schools around. North Carolina knows it will take a few decades (not a few years) to see real change in schools and education.

3) The commuter rail connecting Charlotte and the other cities of the Piedmont.


*Atlanta could learn a lot from the three elements listed above...!
You mean people in Charlotte are more in favor of expanding mass transit than people in Atlanta are despite traffic in Atlanta being much worse than Charlotte ?
 
Old 11-19-2008, 03:27 PM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,265,202 times
Reputation: 2781
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Deacon, as usual you are the voice of reason...unfortunately, reason seldom prevails on these city comparison threads.
Thank you...what a nice compliment. I was trying to extend an olive branch - it wasn't accepted.
 
Old 11-19-2008, 03:27 PM
 
13,566 posts, read 22,018,249 times
Reputation: 4587
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
You mean people in Charlotte are more in favor of expanding mass transit than people in Atlanta are despite traffic in Atlanta being much worse than Charlotte ?
Yessir! Sad isn't it?

Dallas, Houston, and L.A. are also expanding mass transit...!
 
Old 11-19-2008, 03:29 PM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,265,202 times
Reputation: 2781
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
You mean people in Charlotte are more in favor of expanding mass transit than people in Atlanta are despite traffic in Atlanta being much worse than Charlotte ?
No...I think he means that there HAS been rail expansion in Charlotte recently where in Atlanta there has only been plans for rail expansion. People want it here too, but funding has been a problem. From what I've heard, funding is becoming a problem in Charlotte for future expansions.
 
Old 11-19-2008, 03:31 PM
 
Location: West Metro Atlanta
606 posts, read 1,745,904 times
Reputation: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
No...I think he means that there HAS been rail expansion in Charlotte recently where in Atlanta there has only been plans for rail expansion. People want it here too, but funding has been a problem. From what I've heard, funding is becoming a problem in Charlotte for future expansions.
Why has funding been more of a problem in Atlanta than Charlotte ?
 
Old 11-19-2008, 03:35 PM
 
Location: Working on infraction #2
341 posts, read 1,220,020 times
Reputation: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
If Gwinnett is Atlanta, so is Newnan.

Whatever makes you happy dude! I don’t necessarily agree with this, but some inner city folk don’t look to kindly on people from places like Newnan saying they are from Atlanta, when I was younger we used to say “if you aint from a zone, then you aint from my home” which means if your not from one of the APD police zones i.e. Zone 1-6, then your not from Atlanta. Just like how Jersey City, NJ is considered on paper to be apart of the NYC metro, but if you ask someone from Jersey City if they are from NYC they will look at you like you are crazy. You can say you live in Atlanta, and the MSA can say you live in the “Atlanta region”, but this ATLANTA boy from Atlanta (Zone 2 to be exact) does not think you live in Atlanta, I say you live in GEORGIA!!!
 
Old 11-19-2008, 03:38 PM
 
Location: West Metro Atlanta
606 posts, read 1,745,904 times
Reputation: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Virgo Child View Post
Whatever makes you happy dude! I don’t necessarily agree with this, but some inner city folk don’t look to kindly on people from places like Newnan saying they are from Atlanta, when I was younger we used to say “if you aint from a zone, then you aint from my home” which means if your not from one of the APD police zones i.e. Zone 1-6, then your not from Atlanta. Just like how Jersey City, NJ is considered on paper to be apart of the NYC metro, but if you ask someone from Jersey City if they are from NYC they will look at you like you are crazy. You can say you live in Atlanta, and the MSA can say you live in the “Atlanta region”, but this ATLANTA boy from Atlanta (Zone 2 to be exact) does not think you live in Atlanta, I say you live in GEORGIA!!!
I've noticed that in metro Atlanta, people that live outside of the city still consider themselves Atlantans while in places like Irvine, CA in Orange County, they dont consider themselves a part of Los Angeles.
 
Old 11-19-2008, 03:45 PM
 
13,566 posts, read 22,018,249 times
Reputation: 4587
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
Why has funding been more of a problem in Atlanta than Charlotte ?
Because people here (politician, citizenry, what have you) are less inclined to expand it/fund it. (See my previous post...it clarifies everything).

There have been plans galore in Atlanta...plans do not equal implementation. The fact that Charlotte has gone forward with their plans (in a relatively short amount of time) is commendable.

Check out some of the many "plans" for Atlanta:

www.cfpt.org


There is a commuter rail plan that many have placed on here...but I cannot locate/remember it.

I'm a native Atlantan. I've studied so many plans over the last 3 decades...it is really hard to believe if anything will ever truly be implemented in Atlanta. I even have doubts about the Beltline(www.beltlinepartnership.org). I really hope I am wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top