U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-06-2009, 01:42 PM
 
582 posts, read 1,197,700 times
Reputation: 343

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crider View Post
I believe that the differences between the two cities are more pronounced to southerners than to those who are from other regions of the nation. I have a Philly and NYC bias in that I spent many Summers and some Winters with relatives who lived there, The Bronx and North Philly. My frame of reference for big cities are from that vantage point. When Atlanta was really becoming popular and growing those relatives would visit me in Charlotte and we would travel to Atlanta and have good times. Their descriptions were and still are the same. Either Charlotte is a "little Atlanta" or Atlanta is a "Big Charlotte." I don't know if that will ever change. I even have friends in Atlanta that make the same comparison between the two. I am perfectly fine with those descriptions. I like both cities and believe that the Southeast is large enough for both.
I actually agree with you. I even say that Charlotte is a small Atlanta. There is just some people from Charlotte that think if they build 1 or 2 more condo towers(LOL), it's all of a sudden ATL status. There are a lot of similarities between Philly and New York, but no one is there talking about it's going to catch the Big Apple. Yes, there is a bigger size difference between the two, but you get my point. I also want to add that people from the northeast think every city is small in the US except Chicago and LA. They even think D.C. is country. Charlotte will resemble Atlanta one day, but by that time Atlanta will resemble Chicago. It will be 30+ years for either to happen though.

 
Old 05-06-2009, 04:56 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 13,262,108 times
Reputation: 2929
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
You forgot the Numbers 3 ritzs carltons 4 W hotels not W brand. Soon to open Lowes, Palamor, St Regis. Four Seasons etc . Charlotte would never be able to host a Major event because they dont have the Hotels Space.

This is what charlotte would have to do to catch up with Atlanta status and size and status

STATUS AND SIZE


Atlanta is one of eight U.S. cities classified as a "beta world city" by a 2008 study at Loughborough University

With a population of 519,145,[7] Atlanta is the thirty-third largest city in the United States, and the 28-county Atlanta Metropolitan Area is the 8th largest region in the United States, with more than 5,376,285 residents.[8][9] The Atlanta Combined Statistical Area, an area home to 5,729,304
people, is the most populous in the Southeastern United States,[10] and the city is considered the central metropolis and the unofficial capital of the region.[11][12]
Internationally known as a top business city and transportation hub,[13][14] Atlanta contains the world headquarters of businesses such as The Coca-Cola Company, AT&T Mobility, Delta Air Lines, Home Depot, and UPS. Atlanta has the nation's third largest concentration of Fortune 500 companies, and more than 75% of the Fortune 1000 companies have a presence in the Atlanta metropolitan area.[15][16] Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, which is located seven miles south of downtown Atlanta, is the busiest airport in the world.[17][18]

Atlanta attracts the thirteenth-highest number of foreign tourists of any city in the United States, with more than 478,000 foreign visitors arriving in the city in 2007.[62] That same year (according to Forbes), it was estimated that Atlanta attracted The Atlanta metro area is served by many local television stations and is the eighth largest designated market
area (



Atlanta has more than 30 institutions of higher education, including the Georgia Institute of Technology, a predominant engineering and research university that has been ranked in the top ten public universities since 1999 by US News and World Report, and Georgia State University. The city also hosts the Atlanta University Center, the largest consortium of historically Black colleges and universities in the country. Its members include Clark Atlanta University, Morehouse College, Spelman College, and the Interdenominational Theological Center. Adjoining the AUC schools, but independent from them,


Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (IATA: ATL, ICAO: KATL), the world's busiest airport as measured by passenger traffic and by aircraft traffic,[132] provides air service between Atlanta and many national and international destinations.From world-class attractions and mouth-watering cuisine to gorgeous scenery and Southern charm, Atlanta has become one of the most popular places to live and visit in the Southeast. With no lack of amazing attractions, guests are quick to realize why over 37 million people visit the city each year for its city lights and Southern nights.
You posted all that I wanted to post,but I didn't want to go overboard.LOL.Great post that further cements logic instead of PASSION.
 
Old 05-06-2009, 06:57 PM
 
Location: South Charlotte
233 posts, read 827,918 times
Reputation: 152
Default However.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I cannot believe you cannot see why density matters.Let me explain it to you.When there are more people in closer areas,usually there are increased things to do in a "closer"areas.Such as:
1)More public spaces.They become better designed and more creative.(like Atlantic Station or parks like Centennial,Piedmont and Grant Parks.
2)More public institutions like colleges and universities.This intern creates more wealth and a better more educated class of citizens.It also brings more "worldly"people.People who travel more.
3)A more educated populace,in turn brings more business.(like Nordstorms..lol).It also creates business that are more exclusive.Therefore you get influences from other places throughout the world.
4)Better transportation options.Like heavy rail(not LIGHT RAIL...all nine miles of it)

How can Charlotte be anywhere near Atlanta when based on those criteria and other things?Let's ask a few simple questions.
Atlanta has many major U.S.universities.Many of them ranked very high.A few are as follows:
1)Emory Univ.
2)Morehouse College
3)Georgia Tech.
4)Georgia State Univ.(almost 30,000 students)
5)Agnes Scott College
6)Ogelthorpe Univ.
7)Savannah College of Art and Design
8)Clark Atlanta Univ.
there are more but that's off the top of my head of the ones that have a national and international appeal.
Charlotte has:
1)U.N.C.-Charlotte(great school but not ranked)
2)Johnson C. Wales Univ.(?)
There are a couple of others but very minor.

And how about cultural institutions?Compare
Atlanta has:
1)The Fernbank Museum(the largest Natural history museum South of D.C.)
2)The High Museum
3)Michael C. Carlos Antiquities Museum(also largest in the South)
4)Georgia Aquarium(largest in the world)
5)Martin Luther King Jr Historic National Center

Charlotte has :
1)NASCAR Hall of Fame(no comment needed)
I honestly don't know what else.I could do a search but WHY?If people never heard of any of the places ,then their not noteworthy enough to be mentioned.

Atlanta financial problems has NOTHING to do with the cities population.Nor does it reflect how great the city is or isn't.The city has been growing since the late 90's!!It's growing at a faster rate than Charlotte..by a long shot.We are not even talking about the suburbs.

Atlanta is also a regional powerhouse because of its influence.Think of it.Consider the following:

A)Atlanta has CNN,,Turner Broadcasting Company,Tyler Perry Studios,The Weather Channel,Cox Communications,The Travel Channel

B)The Center for Disease Control(the only government agency headquartered outside of D.C). Every time there is a public health emergency(i.e.. Swine Flu),you hear of Atlanta.When Do you hear of Charlotte?

C)Hartsfield-Jackson Airport(busiest airport in the world with The airport offering direct flights to 95 cities in 57 countries.)How many at Douglas for all those people in Charlotte?Oh I forgot, you have to drive to Atlanta for a direct flight to Seoul or Madrid.

D)The Federal Reserve Bank the Sixth District

Sure you can go to a nice restaurant in Charlotte,but what about a top rated national one?The same goes with hotels.Like the Ritz Carlton.The W ,Intercontinental,The Four Seasons or soon the Manderin Hotel.
How about a Broadway play?

Truth is that you can while in Atlanta do things in Atlanta that you cannot do in Charlotte.The quality of the few things that you can do in both differ in Quality.Atlanta is nothing even close to NYC,but at least most things you can do in NYC you can do and experience in Atlanta.Atlanta is a Beta World City like Miami,and Denver and Minneapolis.Charlotte is no where NEAR that scale. Charlotte will someday come close but unless Atlanta has a catastrophe worse than the city laying off 700 workers from an already bloated city government,there is NO WAY in Hell Charlotte could EVER compete with Atlanta.No matter how many big banks they have.
I lived in Atlanta and I now live in Charlotte, and one single thing Charlotte has over Atlanta is decent traffic. Charlotte has regular rush hour traffic.

One thing I can say about leaving NY to move to Atlanta (Baltimore in between) and now Charlotte is, that fun can happen anywhere. I can always visit NY for some in depth culture and I can easily drive to Atlanta for some culture. So, the fact that those things are not in my "backyard" in abundance is irrelevant if I am spending 2 hours each way in traffic on a daily basis.

Yes, Charlotte is smaller than Atlanta, and Atlanta is smaller than NYC, but then again I don't party all seven nights anymore.... I think the key to enhancing your quality of life is having more time for self, family and friends, not sitting in traffic.

I pick Charlotte because it is a lot newer and there isn't some extreme crowd or line for anything other than Nascar.... So you actually have a chance to experience certain events and not feel like it is too crowded. -Could have stayed in NY for that. Also, I can use my KFC coupon without having to stand on a ridiculous line......had to go there. The natives are nice, even my fellow NYers are nice......must be the Southern air...

Just for the record Atlantic Station is a neat concept, however, I have had friends emailing me from Atlanta wanting to visit The Epicentre in Charlotte, take part in CIAA festivities, and other events transplants are helping to make happen in Charlotte. Had a friend from DC just visit, and is now planning a second trip back to Charlotte. I have been to more networking events here, than in Atlanta.

Don't sleep on Charlotte, Atlanta. I mean, where were you prior to the Olympics? I know. I lived in GA at the time....

Last edited by NYnowNC; 05-06-2009 at 07:12 PM..
 
Old 05-06-2009, 07:25 PM
 
582 posts, read 1,197,700 times
Reputation: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYnowNC View Post
....Just for the record Atlantic Station is a neat concept, however, I have had friends emailing me from Atlanta wanting to visit The Epicentre in Charlotte, take part in CIAA festivities, and other events transplants are helping to make happen for Charlotte. Had a friend from DC just visit, and is now planning a second trip back to Charlotte. I have been to more networking events here, than in Atlanta....
People in Atlanta and D.C. do like to travel LOL. If they are your friends, I'm sure they are just looking for something to do when they visit you. I don't understand your point. If you are trying to compare Epicenter to Atlantic Station then you just lost all credibility.
 
Old 05-06-2009, 07:45 PM
 
22 posts, read 47,386 times
Reputation: 46
Default Charlotte will never be

As a Charlotte native, I get a good laugh in the way people in Atlanta just dismiss Charlotte. But really, Charlotte will never obtain growth of Atlanta because they have to vie with other cities in NC for money. In the state of Georgia, what other city does "Hotlanta" have to compete with? Albany, Savannah, please. Like it's been said many times over, Georgia without Atlanta is Missisippi.
 
Old 05-06-2009, 08:45 PM
 
Location: South Charlotte
233 posts, read 827,918 times
Reputation: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgNCATL View Post
People in Atlanta and D.C. do like to travel LOL. If they are your friends, I'm sure they are just looking for something to do when they visit you. I don't understand your point. If you are trying to compare Epicenter to Atlantic Station then you just lost all credibility.
Not trying to compare the two on size, just simply stating that there is something to do in Charlotte also. That's it. Both venues are nice. However, I just don't know if Atlanta has that much more to offer. There aren't any stores or nightlife spots that make me feel like I wish I were back in Atlanta. I think Atlanta is more upscale due to the many different jobs and Universities. But, I think the decision Atl vs. CLT decision should be based on the quality of life. Which city can provide a better quality of life? My answer is Charlotte, mainly focusing on Atlanta's horrible traffic. After sitting in traffic all week, I didn't feel like doing any unnecessary weekend driving....

Okay, now back to The Epicentre. The theater allows for reserve seating, recliner seats, tables for mixed drinks and food from the restaurant and a lounge bar -All at the movies. -Yeah, I think this is going to be hot for a minute (translation) for quite some time.... Now, is it better than Atlantic Station? Don't know. The vibe of the people make it what it is and that goes for anywhere.
 
Old 05-06-2009, 08:53 PM
 
Location: Crown Town
2,742 posts, read 5,987,428 times
Reputation: 1666
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYnowNC View Post
Okay, now back to The Epicentre. The theater allows for reserve seating, recliner seats, tables for mixed drinks and food from the restaurant and a lounge bar -All at the movies. -Yeah, I think this is going to be hot for a minute (translation) for quite some time.... Now, is it better than Atlantic Station? Don't know. The vibe of the people make it what it is and that goes for anywhere.
They're very different. Atlantic Station is more like Birkdale Village, both are essentially outdoor malls. The EpiCentre is more like Underground Atlanta, mostly clubs and resturants, although Underground has really gone down.
 
Old 05-06-2009, 10:06 PM
 
2,758 posts, read 4,915,659 times
Reputation: 1114
So, is Charlotte supposed to be an up and coming rival for Atlanta? I ask because I see it as a good thing because this city needs a push. We can't let the lesser Queen City come in and takeover "our" region. Atlanta has better transplants, Charlotte's just New York and New Jersey (no West Coast and Midwest).
 
Old 05-07-2009, 03:30 AM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 13,262,108 times
Reputation: 2929
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylb View Post
As a Charlotte native, I get a good laugh in the way people in Atlanta just dismiss Charlotte. But really, Charlotte will never obtain growth of Atlanta because they have to vie with other cities in NC for money. In the state of Georgia, what other city does "Hotlanta" have to compete with? Albany, Savannah, please. Like it's been said many times over, Georgia without Atlanta is Mississippi.
Oh the "what if argument".Its irrelevant.It's an argument based on the fact that basically you cannot compete so then you want fantasize about "what coulda shoulda woulda been".The fact is the Atlanta Metro Region has an economy that dwarfs Charlotte.Also its region makes up countless "edge cities" that have become independent. Meaning that they have their own infrastructure,economy ,and cultural venues.
If Atlanta were a part of North Carolina,it would encompass an area that would be half the size of that whole state(considering that North Carolina is smaller).So it would include much of N.Carolina's main cities. Who says that a state has to have more than one major urban area?Because it makes you think it makes Charlotte look better?North Carolina has bigger cities,but other than Raleigh- Durham,(which by the way is not one city)they are not big cities at all.So it's really pointless.Its got as many backwards places as Georgia.
So yes Atlanta was the catalyst for growth in the begining.

To say that Georgia is Mississippi without Atlanta has no merit.Although they are not huge cities.They do have important industries that have a wide national scope.
Savannah is one of the major ports in the U.S.It also is one of the most visited destinations in the U.S.Headquartered there is GulfStream Aviation,and JCB(third largest producer of construction equipment in the world),and S.C.A.D.One of the top school for the Arts in the country.

Augusta has also experienced growth.Its profile is international as it host the Masters every year.In the city of Augusta there are almost 200,000 people.In its metro area,more than 400,000.

Columbus is growing and is the headquarters for AFLAC ,TSYS, Synovus, Ft.Benning,and Carmike Cinemas(4th largest in the U.S).Ft.Benning has the infamous School of the Americas.

I mentioned all these things about the cities because if Georgia were Missisippi ,there would be Casinos to bring in a tax base.That is what they had to do in Missisippi.

Quality of life is important,but just because Charlotte has less traffic,does not mean that its not experiencing the same growing pains.There are enough places you can go to without lines in all of metro Atlanta.Quality of life is good only if you can support that quality of life with a decent salary.Bottom line is their is a place everywhere for everybody.Charlotte is a cool city that is growing and already is experiencing problems like Atlanta.The fact still remains that people want what Atlanta has to offer more than what Charlotte has offer.The traffic only reinforces that fact.

Last edited by afonega1; 05-07-2009 at 03:38 AM..
 
Old 05-07-2009, 10:42 AM
 
1,303 posts, read 1,720,975 times
Reputation: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYnowNC View Post
I lived in Atlanta and I now live in Charlotte, and one single thing Charlotte has over Atlanta is decent traffic. Charlotte has regular rush hour traffic.

One thing I can say about leaving NY to move to Atlanta (Baltimore in between) and now Charlotte is, that fun can happen anywhere. I can always visit NY for some in depth culture and I can easily drive to Atlanta for some culture. So, the fact that those things are not in my "backyard" in abundance is irrelevant if I am spending 2 hours each way in traffic on a daily basis.

Yes, Charlotte is smaller than Atlanta, and Atlanta is smaller than NYC, but then again I don't party all seven nights anymore.... I think the key to enhancing your quality of life is having more time for self, family and friends, not sitting in traffic.

I pick Charlotte because it is a lot newer and there isn't some extreme crowd or line for anything other than Nascar.... So you actually have a chance to experience certain events and not feel like it is too crowded. -Could have stayed in NY for that. Also, I can use my KFC coupon without having to stand on a ridiculous line......had to go there. The natives are nice, even my fellow NYers are nice......must be the Southern air...

Just for the record Atlantic Station is a neat concept, however, I have had friends emailing me from Atlanta wanting to visit The Epicentre in Charlotte, take part in CIAA festivities, and other events transplants are helping to make happen in Charlotte. Had a friend from DC just visit, and is now planning a second trip back to Charlotte. I have been to more networking events here, than in Atlanta.

Don't sleep on Charlotte, Atlanta. I mean, where were you prior to the Olympics? I know. I lived in GA at the time....



I wonder why Atlanta is the 5th most visited city in the USA And the Atlantic station development is way better than Epicentre. Atlanta has always been in the spotlight thats how we were able to get the Olympics a event that Charlotte will never get to see. I wonder why they Hosted that Event in Atlanta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:26 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top