U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2009, 10:48 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,724,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylb View Post
As a Charlotte native, I get a good laugh in the way people in Atlanta just dismiss Charlotte. But really, Charlotte will never obtain growth of Atlanta because they have to vie with other cities in NC for money. In the state of Georgia, what other city does "Hotlanta" have to compete with? Albany, Savannah, please. Like it's been said many times over, Georgia without Atlanta is Missisippi.

Was that the best you can do?? LA has SF San Diego and sacramento to compete with and those cities still got growth and developed so did citys in Texas. Kansas city didnt stop st Louis from developing. And i guess Illinois is kentucky without Chicago

Old 05-07-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYnowNC View Post
Not trying to compare the two on size, just simply stating that there is something to do in Charlotte also. That's it. Both venues are nice. However, I just don't know if Atlanta has that much more to offer. There aren't any stores or nightlife spots that make me feel like I wish I were back in Atlanta. I think Atlanta is more upscale due to the many different jobs and Universities. But, I think the decision Atl vs. CLT decision should be based on the quality of life. Which city can provide a better quality of life? My answer is Charlotte, mainly focusing on Atlanta's horrible traffic. After sitting in traffic all week, I didn't feel like doing any unnecessary weekend driving....

Okay, now back to The Epicentre. The theater allows for reserve seating, recliner seats, tables for mixed drinks and food from the restaurant and a lounge bar -All at the movies. -Yeah, I think this is going to be hot for a minute (translation) for quite some time.... Now, is it better than Atlantic Station? Don't know. The vibe of the people make it what it is and that goes for anywhere.

Well Atlantic station is a live work and play enviroment. Atlantic statin has condos homes large IKea store. H&M Guess, restaurants geisha house ASton kutchers Dolce ,Fox Sports grill. big department store La fitness, Movie theatre and bowling alley Ten Pen, Epicentre does not compare to Atlantic station on no levels Atlantic station could be its own little city.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
They're very different. Atlantic Station is more like Birkdale Village, both are essentially outdoor malls. The EpiCentre is more like Underground Atlanta, mostly clubs and resturants, although Underground has really gone down.

Atlantic station is not a outdoor mall

Old 05-07-2009, 11:38 AM

8,190 posts, read 12,324,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
No Atlanta is no NYC or Boston,but it is certainly way ahead of Charlotte in urban Design.Almost every new construction project in Atlanta is geared toward more "live,work,and play concepts like Atlantic Station but on different levels.
Where I think Charlotte will make greater progress than Atlanta in the long run is in the area of mass transit. A great part of this is because North Carolina treats Charlotte much, much better than Georgia treats Atlanta. I believe this is partially due to North Carolina have three 1 million+ metro regions scattered across the state, while Georgia has the behemoth Atlanta at 5 million+, and the next metro area behind it (Augusta) is 10 times smaller. Thus, southern Georgia politicians in particular are often ignorant of the unique issues that urban issues face.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:58 AM

8,190 posts, read 12,324,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgNCATL View Post
If you are trying to compare Epicenter to Atlantic Station then you just lost all credibility.
True. Epicenter doesn't bring out all the thugs after dark.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:43 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,285,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Where I think Charlotte will make greater progress than Atlanta in the long run is in the area of mass transit. A great part of this is because North Carolina treats Charlotte much, much better than Georgia treats Atlanta. I believe this is partially due to North Carolina have three 1 million+ metro regions scattered across the state, while Georgia has the behemoth Atlanta at 5 million+, and the next metro area behind it (Augusta) is 10 times smaller. Thus, southern Georgia politicians in particular are often ignorant of the unique issues that urban issues face.
That much is true.Our state politicians are really backwards at times.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:29 PM

294 posts, read 684,095 times
I've lived in both cities and here's my observation. Atlanta looks, feels and is much larger. It is much more vibrant and has a ton more to do than Charlotte does. Atlanta's drawbacks are; night and day traffic. The metro felt too disjointed and fragmented (almost like a patchwork type of place). It spite of all glamour, it has a dark underbelly.
Charlotte. Charlotte had a much better quality of life IMO. It's cleaner, mor organized and feels better connected in realtion to it's suburbs. I did not get that disjointed feeling while in Charlotte.
Conclusion: Charlotte is very nice if you are looking for a much smaller city providing greater quality of life but it's not very exciting. Atlanta is in a different class than Charlotte and the two are not really comparable. Atlanta is more like Houston than Charlotte. Charlotte is more like a newer Birmingham or even Nashville. However, if I were to ever move back to either one at this point in my life it would be Charlotte because overall, the quality of life is better.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:35 PM

233 posts, read 828,813 times
Default Well...

All I can say it that since I have been living in Charlotte, I haven't necessarily had an extreme need to once again live in Atlanta. This doesn't make Atlanta a bad city, it is still very attractive when compared to a lot other cities. I just don't feel like I am missing anything that I cannot get in Charlotte.

It's amazing how people ignore Atlanta's traffic issue just to defend its status over Charlotte.......

I guess my thought on this is, if Charlotte weren't a threat to Atlanta, then people wouldn't be asking the question "Atlanta or Charlotte?".....Just saying...

Old 05-07-2009, 05:49 PM

233 posts, read 828,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladt View Post
I've lived in both cities and here's my observation. Atlanta looks, feels and is much larger. It is much more vibrant and has a ton more to do than Charlotte does. Atlanta's drawbacks are; night and day traffic. The metro felt too disjointed and fragmented (almost like a patchwork type of place). It spite of all glamour, it has a dark underbelly.
Charlotte. Charlotte had a much better quality of life IMO. It's cleaner, mor organized and feels better connected in realtion to it's suburbs. I did not get that disjointed feeling while in Charlotte.
Conclusion: Charlotte is very nice if you are looking for a much smaller city providing greater quality of life but it's not very exciting. Atlanta is in a different class than Charlotte and the two are not really comparable. Atlanta is more like Houston than Charlotte. Charlotte is more like a newer Birmingham or even Nashville. However, if I were to ever move back to either one at this point in my life it would be Charlotte because overall, the quality of life is better.
Well analyzed.

Yes, at this point in my life Charlotte works for me. However, if I want to go out on the town, I know where to go. There are many transplants constantly promoting new events in Charlotte. The last event was "Playdate." This event did well in Atlanta, but had record breaking numbers in Charlotte.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
True. Epicenter doesn't bring out all the thugs after dark.

And i guess Epicentre brings all the Rednecks, Hillbillies and Trailer Trash at night. Even though there may be blacks (who you call thugs) that doesnt take away that Atlantic station is a better development, with better restaurants trendy stores and bars thanks

Last edited by atlantaATL; 05-07-2009 at 06:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or