Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2009, 02:36 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,093,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
OMG!! The AJC must read City Data, because they certainly see a rivarly between the two cities. Very timely...

CHARLOTTE VS. ATLANTA
Rivalry to be economic King of South heats up
By Dan Chapman
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Sunday, May 10, 2009

Article: Rivalry to be economic King of South heats up | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/stories//2009/05/10/charlotte_atlanta_economy.html - broken link)

They’ve worked mightily the last two decades to get out from under the parochial, little-brother-to-Atlanta shadow 36,000 . In uptown, where 10,000 people live, they’ve succeeded.
Beyond uptown’s pizzazz, though, Charlotte still lags Atlanta in virtually every big-city category. Atlanta counts four — downtown, Midtown, Buckhead and Atlantic Station — high-rise business, living and entertainment districts.
Atlanta is also home to four major league sports teams and a slew of universities — Georgia Tech, Morehouse, Georgia State, Emory — that the Queen City envies.
Morgan, of the Charlotte Chamber, said the 1996 Olympics “put Atlanta on a stage we can only aspire to

Old 05-09-2009, 02:37 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Losing C&S, First Atlanta, Bank South, Fulton Federal, etc. was a blow to the city...but Atlanta still has SunTrust, the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, the Federal Home Loan Bank of Atlanta, and a host of smaller bank headquarters as well as international bank locations. Actually Atlanta is still one of the largest banking centers in the U.S.:

How Charlotte became a banking giant, outpacing Pittsburgh's banks

Old 05-09-2009, 02:51 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
The developments below were all "proposed" within the past 2 years, and the first two are already under construction. I post these not to say, ooh, ahh, look at our buildings, but rather to show that much of what many of you profess is little more than conjecture. You really don't know much about Charlotte at all. Its as if some of you throw things at the wall, just to see if it sticks. Saying Charlotte's days are done sounds good, but its not the fact. One thing that article failed to mention was that Charlotte also just beat out Atlanta for 200 engineering jobs from Toshiba. You guys might want to look in your rear view mirror more...

Article: Toshiba nuclear division to add 194 jobs - Business - News & Observer (http://www.newsobserver.com/business/story/1504505.html - broken link)

Ok this is silly.What news to Charlotte is big when they get new jobs.Atlanta gets company with certainly more than 200 jobs all the time.Since last year these jobs have been announced in Atlanta:

Verizon brings 700 jobs
Wendys International bought by Arbys bringing over 120 jobs.Moved headquarters from Ohio
Gentiva Health Services Inc. moves Headquarters from Long Isalnd,NY
Yes Video Incorporated 300 jobs
Qt Kitchen 227 jobs
J.M.Smucker locating it southeast hub at the Airport
GreenTech to bring 320jobs

There is more I'm sure but this is a quick list.These are mostly from this year and some in last year.I don't think you know much about ATLANTA.If you did you would know that 200 jobs is just a drop in the bucket.In this economy it is significant.But when you add them with other jobs its much better.This is the biggest difference between Charlotte and Atlanta.Things that make major front page news in Charlotte, is on the back page in Atlanta.I'M sure that Charlotte is doing well but Charlotte will be in Atlanta's rear mirror for a very very longtime to come.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:12 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Red face Charlotte is Dwarfed!

Midtown and Buckhead's skyline appear just a big or bigger than Charlotte's whole skyline.
Attached Thumbnails
Atlanta vs. Charlotte-mid-atl.jpg   Atlanta vs. Charlotte-buckheadnights.jpg   Atlanta vs. Charlotte-charlotter.jpg  

Old 05-09-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Midtown and Buckhead's skyline appear just a big or bigger than Charlotte's whole skyline.

I think this is a better pic

CHARLOTTE

Buckhead

Midtown

Anyone of Atlantas edge city skylines can be one of charlottes downtown.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:33 PM

649 posts, read 1,423,226 times
Quote:
The developments below were all "proposed" within the past 2 years, and the first two are already under construction. I post these not to say, ooh, ahh, look at our buildings, but rather to show that much of what many of you profess is little more than conjecture. You really don't know much about Charlotte at all. Its as if some of you throw things at the wall, just to see if it sticks. Saying Charlotte's days are done sounds good, but its not the fact. One thing that article failed to mention was that Charlotte also just beat out Atlanta for 200 engineering jobs from Toshiba. You guys might want to look in your rear view mirror more...

Article: Toshiba nuclear division to add 194 jobs - Business - News & Observer (http://www.newsobserver.com/business/story/1504505.html - broken link)

Dude, I know a lot about Charlotte. I was talking about Skyscrapers. Those are buildings and one is maybe a mid-rise building. In Atlanta, the Mandarin Hotel will be 70+ stories and 1400 peachtree is in the Design phase and could be a new tallest for Atlanta. What about 12th & Midtown and the entire Midtown Mile. Then you have the office building proposal at Allen Plaza which is over 50 stories. These projects are what I call skyscrapers. There are more, but I don't feel like naming them all. If you are talking about buildings like your pictures, Atlanta have those size buildings going up everywhere. What I was stating is that, Charlotte days of skyscrapers 40+ stories poping up everwhere is over for a long time. The Skyscraper boom is over. It may continue to build low-rise to mid-rise building here and there, but that's it. I don't see Trump building there for at least 5 years if at all.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:56 PM

649 posts, read 1,423,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaatl View Post
i think this is a better pic

charlotte

buckhead

midtown

anyone of atlantas edge city skylines can be one of charlottes downtown.
lol!

Old 05-09-2009, 05:07 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,642,678 times
I don't think it's a stretch to say that Buckhead's skyline is on a higher level than Charlotte.

Old 05-09-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
I don't think it's a stretch to say that Buckhead's skyline is on a higher level than Charlotte.
No not higher level But i think buckhead has more buildings than Downtown Charlotte and midtown can very well be charlotte downtown But Midtown would beat charlotte downtown in urban development

Old 05-09-2009, 05:58 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,642,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
No not higher level But i think buckhead has more buildings than Downtown Charlotte and midtown can very well be charlotte downtown But Midtown would beat charlotte downtown in urban development
Okay, cool. What I should have said is that Buckhead and Charlotte's skyline are in the same league (in my opinion).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta