U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 04:38 AM

6,249 posts, read 9,696,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
I think that comes from the Charlotte end. You'd rarely see Charlotte mentioned on Atlanta discussion forums but from my experience, thats not the case the other way around.
Isn't this an Atlanta discussion forum? I can't seem to find Atlanta mentioned in Charlotte at the moment.

At any rate, Atlanta makes Charlotte look like Mayberry so Atlanta folks take it easy. Atlanta is the "New York" of the south and Charlotte ain't even close to being the south's "Chicago". With that said, let me get ya'll down in the "A" familiar with the "QC"(Queen City).

Here are some videos of Charlotte that I took recently. Be sure to watch them in "high quality".

Bobcat's Tuesday

YouTube - urban charlotte

Panthers' Sunday

YouTube - Urban Charlotte

YouTube - Panthers Sunday

Urban Neighborhoods

Night life

Old 11-18-2008, 08:03 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,815,395 times
No diss on NY but Charlotte can have the "NY of the South" moniker because it's not even close (we're about the size of a borough). I hope ATL does ATL. Charlotte is nice but I'd rather not be in Atlanta from 20 years ago.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
No diss on NY but Charlotte can have the "NY of the South" moniker because it's not even close (we're about the size of a borough). I hope ATL does ATL. Charlotte is nice but I'd rather not be in Atlanta from 20 years ago.
20 years ago, Atlanta was only 8 years away from hosting the Olympics!!! Most people in the "A" back then saw their city as being the "big fish" in the South. Atlanta also attracted tens of thousands more new comers in the last 20 years too.

Calling Charlotte a city that is only 20 years behind the "A" is a huge compliment!!! Five years ago, Atlantans called Charlotte a city that is 30 years behind. I guess five years from now, Charlotte will only be 10 years behind huh?

My point is that Atlanta has historically been WAY ahead of Charlotte. Now that Charlotte has decided to become a "Word Class City" too, the gap between Atlanta and Charlotte will shorten within the next 10 to 20 years. People that move to Charlotte are trying to get in on the "ground floor" of the south's next Atlanta. Fulton county has about 1 million people and a little over 530 sq/mi of land. Mecklenburg county has about 900,000 people and 526 sq/mi of land. What makes Atlanta so much larger than Charlotte is the population outside of Mecklenburg and Fulton. City to city comparisons currently show two fairly equal sized cities. This is why Charlotte and Atlanta are compared more than some Atlantans would like. I don't wish to start a Charlotte/Atlanta war, but Charlotte is mid sized on its way to being big. Atlanta is already big. When Charlotte becomes big too (less than 15 years away), Charlotte will be an even bigger thorn in Atlanta's side.

Until then, enjoy the fact that Atlanta is much larger than Charlotte while it lasts. Take my word for it, it won't last very long. Charlotte is taking some huge steps that might SHOCK some of you guys if you ever found out what it is.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:05 PM

7,732 posts, read 11,807,643 times
I think Charlotte is a great place. That being said, I really don't think Charlotte will ever totally catch up with Atlanta as far as physical size goes, and why would you want to? We both compliment each other nicely, IMO. Charlotte does some things better, we do some things better. Our business, transportation and educational infrastructure is already in place though - and it would be virtually impossible to catch up to same level as Atlanta has attained.

I think of Charlotte as our brash, slightly more conservative little brother. It's all good!

BTW, I absolutely have to hand it to Charlotte as far as the wonderful changes going on in the core. The changes for the better are simply amazing and worthy of much praise. The two big banks should be very proud of the improvements they have been able to bankroll.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I think Charlotte is a great place. That being said, I really don't think Charlotte will ever totally catch up with Atlanta as far as physical size goes, and why would you want to? We both compliment each other nicely, IMO. Charlotte does some things better, we do some things better. Our business, transportation and educational infrastructure is already in place though - and it would be virtually impossible to catch up to same level as Atlanta has attained.

I think of Charlotte as our brash, slightly more conservative little brother. It's all good!

BTW, I absolutely have to hand it to Charlotte as far as the wonderful changes going on in the core. The changes for the better are simply amazing and worthy of much praise. The two big banks should be very proud of the improvements they have been able to bankroll.
You said it!!! I have a sister in the "A" (Panola Rd area of Lithonia) and I don't ever see Charlotte's metro catching up to Atlanta's. I do see Charlotte and Atlanta being in the same category or class within the next 15 to 20 years however. Metro size is not important to me. I would rather see Charlotte's metro at only 1.5 million with half living in Charlotte than 6 million with less than 10% living in Charlotte. Suburbs just don't cut it for me.

I will say that I LOVE Atlanta's night life and busy nature!!! If Charlotte can get "busy" like Atlanta without all of the suburban crapola, Charlotte would almost be perfect!!!

Also, I will be doing "Urban Atlanta" videos the next time I am in the "A". I can't wait!!! I love the south as a whole so don't get it twisted!!!

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 11-18-2008 at 02:03 PM..

Old 11-18-2008, 01:24 PM

7,732 posts, read 11,807,643 times
LOL at suburban crapola, I like that!

Sadly though, I must admit that is what I personally feel the Panola/I-20 area is (no offense to your sister).

Old 11-18-2008, 02:11 PM

1,087 posts, read 2,349,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
And atlanta will be even bigger in 10 years id say 20 years and charlotte will be on point its really not a big city to me i dont get that when i go to charlotte i feel like i am in a mid sized city

Why do you hate Charlotte so much?

Old 11-18-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
LOL at suburban crapola, I like that!

Sadly though, I must admit that is what I personally feel the Panola/I-20 area is (no offense to your sister).
None taken. I tell her the same thing when I visit.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:38 PM

7,848 posts, read 17,858,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
You said it!!! I have a sister in the "A" (Panola Rd area of Lithonia) and I don't ever see Charlotte's metro catching up to Atlanta's. I do see Charlotte and Atlanta being in the same category or class within the next 15 to 20 years however. Metro size is not important to me. I would rather see Charlotte's metro at only 1.5 million with half living in Charlotte than 6 million with less than 10% living in Charlotte. Suburbs just don't cut it for me.
It's the other way around for most people...the city population isn't important but the metro population is the main number. The biggest difference in the two cities is that Charlotte has annexed a lot more area and is now almost twice the size of Atlanta in square miles (Charlotte 280 sq.mi. to Atlanta 132 sq.mi.).

The city population of Atlanta has just begun to grow again after years of decline, but it is growing through an influx of residents and not through annexation (increase of 125,000 residents since 2000)...which means the city itself is densifying and actually keeping up with the growth of the suburbs.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
It's the other way around for most people...the city population isn't important but the metro population is the main number. The biggest difference in the two cities is that Charlotte has annexed a lot more area and is now almost twice the size of Atlanta in square miles (Charlotte 280 sq.mi. to Atlanta 132 sq.mi.).

The city population of Atlanta has just begun to grow again after years of decline, but it is growing through an influx of residents and not through annexation (increase of 125,000 residents since 2000)...which means the city itself is densifying and actually keeping up with the growth of the suburbs.
Please read post #23 again about Fulton and Mecklenburg county. Meck has a higher rate of growth than Fulton too. I posted this info to show that Charlotte does grow quite fast without annexation. The county line doesn't move like the city limits.

Also, Charlotte is denser towards the center of town. If Charlotte had about 100 sq/mi of land, it would have a population of about 350,000 to 400,000. Outside of Charlotte's original city limits, the city is quite sparse. Don't let that 280 sq/mi 700,000 population fool you. Many people use that info on forums to show that Charlotte is less dense than what it really is. Think about it. Name me one county in metro Atlanta with only 280 sq/mi of land and nearly 700,000 people. I can't think of one.

Basically, the original 100 sq./mi. of Charlotte is about 350k. The 180 sq/mi that surrounds the core is about 350k also. The biggest difference between Charlotte and Atlanta are the burbs. If this was a Charlotte versus Boston debate, Boston would win hands down on urbanity alone. Atlanta can't beat Charlotte on urbanity alone. The burbs is what helps Atlanta. I love the "A" but I gotta keep it real. Urban lovers don't see much difference among southern cities. Atlanta is doing well when it comes to being big. Urbanity is another topic that I wish not to get started on. I will make a lot of enemies here if I start to talk about urbanity or Atlanta and Charlotte's lack there of.

Rather than going there, I choose to celebrate the urbanity I do see in these New South cities. There is lots of new urbanity in both cities that I enjoy. Let's not fight over who is bigger or better. Let's save that talk for when the Panther's are beating the pants off of the Falcons LOL!!!

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 11-18-2008 at 04:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or