U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-18-2008, 04:38 PM
 
1,303 posts, read 1,661,087 times
Reputation: 191

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
Why do you hate Charlotte so much?
i dont hate charlotte at all its just slow and boring to me.

 
Old 11-18-2008, 05:55 PM
 
7,848 posts, read 17,828,226 times
Reputation: 2762
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Please read post #23 again about Fulton and Mecklenburg county. Meck has a higher rate of growth than Fulton too. I posted this info to show that Charlotte does grow quite fast without annexation. The county line doesn't move like the city limits.

Also, Charlotte is denser towards the center of town. If Charlotte had about 100 sq/mi of land, it would have a population of about 350,000 to 400,000. Outside of Charlotte's original city limits, the city is quite sparse. Don't let that 280 sq/mi 700,000 population fool you. Many people use that info on forums to show that Charlotte is less dense than what it really is. Think about it. Name me one county in metro Atlanta with only 280 sq/mi of land and nearly 700,000 people. I can't think of one.
Georgia Counties:
Dekalb County - 268 sq.mi....750,000+ residents
Cobb County - 340 sq.mi....700,000+ residents

Ok...are we talking about counties here or are we talking about cities? You said yourself that the most important number to you is the city population, then you go into the county statistics...I checked the rate of growth for both counties - both Fulton and Mecklenburg have grown by about 200,000 residents since the year 2000. And Mecklenburg County growth is not city of Charlotte growth...unless you're talking about the metro area, which you stated earlier was not important to you. You're doing a lot of back-and-forth between the two topics.

How is Charlotte more dense than Atlanta toward the center? The numbers don't lie...
Charlotte population in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Wards - 10,000
Downtown Atlanta, 4 sq.mi. area - 36,000

If Charlotte had 100 sq.mi. of area is would have a population of 350,000? Atlanta has a little over 100 sq.mi. of area and has a population of 520,000. This is not a big deal to me...but Charlotte is not in any way larger than Atlanta, whether we're talking city, county, or metro areas. Charlotte is a fine city and its growing fast, but it isn't in the same peer group with Atlanta in any category.
 
Old 11-18-2008, 08:30 PM
 
6,249 posts, read 9,672,162 times
Reputation: 4661
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Georgia Counties:
Dekalb County - 268 sq.mi....750,000+ residents
Cobb County - 340 sq.mi....700,000+ residents

Ok...are we talking about counties here or are we talking about cities? You said yourself that the most important number to you is the city population, then you go into the county statistics...I checked the rate of growth for both counties - both Fulton and Mecklenburg have grown by about 200,000 residents since the year 2000. And Mecklenburg County growth is not city of Charlotte growth...unless you're talking about the metro area, which you stated earlier was not important to you. You're doing a lot of back-and-forth between the two topics.

How is Charlotte more dense than Atlanta toward the center? The numbers don't lie...
Charlotte population in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Wards - 10,000
Downtown Atlanta, 4 sq.mi. area - 36,000

If Charlotte had 100 sq.mi. of area is would have a population of 350,000? Atlanta has a little over 100 sq.mi. of area and has a population of 520,000. This is not a big deal to me...but Charlotte is not in any way larger than Atlanta, whether we're talking city, county, or metro areas. Charlotte is a fine city and its growing fast, but it isn't in the same peer group with Atlanta in any category.
I'll give you Dekalb because I wasn't thinking about how small it's land area is. Other than that, you are getting me confused with someone else. I am the guy that said Atlanta makes Charlotte look like Mayberry remember? I also said that the biggest difference is the burbs and not the city. If Charlotte was only 132 sq/mi, Atlanta would be less than 100,000 stronger. I am sorry, but this is not a big difference to me. Also, I never called Charlotte more dense than Atlanta. I think you are letting your "A town" pride get the best of you my friend.

At any rate, downtown population doesn't say much because I have heard on the forums that Charlotte's uptown has double the population of downtown Houston. I don't believe this at all BTW. Even if this is true, Houston is still easily 3 to 4 times more of a city than Charlotte. The fact that Mecklenburg and Fulton has added the same amount of people in the same time period means that Meck has a faster rate of growth because it had less people to start with.

Atlanta is a great town!!! I love it down there. I really do. I just see Atlanta for what it is. Charlotte, Memphis, and Atlanta are all different sizes because of the burbs. The difference in town is not that big. I used to think Atlanta was big like Boston and New York until I saw it in person. After one visit, I realized Atlanta looks more like Charlotte than it does to cities like Boston and DC. I am not putting Atlanta down. I am just being honest. I will say that Atlanta builds nice skyscrapers and lots of them. Even Buckhead's skyline is like a city of its own!!! Atlanta has lots to be proud of, but the Charlotte/Atlanta comparisons are going to continue because Charlotte is coming up quickly.

I am not sure what the tallest condo tower is in Atlanta, but Charlotte is building a 50 plus storey condo tower as I type. It is said to have a bowling alley on the ground floor. Also, many of the same stores ya'll shop at in Lenox, we can find in Southpark. Charlotte also has a "Ritz" and "W" brand hotel now. Ten years ago, Atlanta had plenty more than Charlotte. Today, there really isn't that much an Atlantan can do that a Charlottean can't. Atlanta has more to do when it comes to a good party and sporting events, but that is really about it. People in Charlotte can choose the urban life or the suburban life just like in Atlanta. Even though Marta is much larger, I ride trains to sporting events and to dinner in Charlotte just like Atlantans. Again, 10 years ago, things were different in Charlotte. Today, Charlotte has closed the gap were it counts.
 
Old 11-18-2008, 09:42 PM
 
7,848 posts, read 17,828,226 times
Reputation: 2762
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I'll give you Dekalb because I wasn't thinking about how small it's land area is. Other than that, you are getting me confused with someone else. I am the guy that said Atlanta makes Charlotte look like Mayberry remember? I also said that the biggest difference is the burbs and not the city. If Charlotte was only 132 sq/mi, Atlanta would be less than 100,000 stronger. I am sorry, but this is not a big difference to me. Also, I never called Charlotte more dense than Atlanta. I think you are letting your "A town" pride get the best of you my friend.

At any rate, downtown population doesn't say much because I have heard on the forums that Charlotte's uptown has double the population of downtown Houston. I don't believe this at all BTW. Even if this is true, Houston is still easily 3 to 4 times more of a city than Charlotte. The fact that Mecklenburg and Fulton has added the same amount of people in the same time period means that Meck has a faster rate of growth because it had less people to start with.

Atlanta is a great town!!! I love it down there. I really do. I just see Atlanta for what it is. Charlotte, Memphis, and Atlanta are all different sizes because of the burbs. The difference in town is not that big. I used to think Atlanta was big like Boston and New York until I saw it in person. After one visit, I realized Atlanta looks more like Charlotte than it does to cities like Boston and DC. I am not putting Atlanta down. I am just being honest. I will say that Atlanta builds nice skyscrapers and lots of them. Even Buckhead's skyline is like a city of its own!!! Atlanta has lots to be proud of, but the Charlotte/Atlanta comparisons are going to continue because Charlotte is coming up quickly.
I'm just responding to your errors and misinformation...it has nothing to do with pride. The difference in town between Charlotte and Atlanta is huge. Buckhead's skyline is the size of Charlotte's uptown...then there is Downtown and Midtown to boot. Atlanta's skyline is much larger than Boston or D.C., so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

You didn't say Charlotte is more dense than Atlanta? From your previous post..."Also, Charlotte is denser towards the center of town"...your words. And I'm sorry, but 100,000 people IS A LOT OF PEOPLE!

"Charlotte also has a "Ritz" and "W" brand hotel now." There are several of each in Atlanta, as well as a Ritz-Carlton International Sales Office...and a host of other luxury hotel brands. Whatever Charlotte may have to offer, Atlanta has multiple offerings at a higher level. Charlotte may be coming up quickly, but Atlanta certainly isn't standing still and is outdistancing Charlotte by a mile.

Last edited by DeaconJ; 11-18-2008 at 09:51 PM..
 
Old 11-18-2008, 09:51 PM
 
6,249 posts, read 9,672,162 times
Reputation: 4661
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I'm just responding to your errors and misinformation...it has nothing to do with pride. The difference in town between Charlotte and Atlanta is huge. Buckhead's skyline is the size of Charlotte's uptown...then there is Downtown and Midtown to boot. Atlanta's skyline is much larger than Boston or D.C., so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

You didn't say Charlotte is more dense than Atlanta? From your previous post..."Also, Charlotte is denser towards the center of town"...your words. And I'm sorry, but 100,000 people IS A LOT OF PEOPLE!
I meant that Charlotte's density increases towards the center. You took it for something totally different. As far as skylines go, Atlanta has one of the country's best. As for DC and Boston like urbanity, Atlanta and Charlotte leaves much to be desired. If you don't believe me, go to Boston's forum and start a thread called "Atlanta vs. Boston. Which city is more urban?" and watch what happens. I've been to Boston. Those boys up there will probably hurt your feelings because they know the difference between real urbanity and a bunch of scattered skyscrapers. Let me know when you start that thread. I need a good laugh!!! Oh yeah, be sure to do one in DC too? You will get the same response as in Boston, but feel free to try to prove me wrong.
 
Old 11-18-2008, 10:00 PM
 
7,848 posts, read 17,828,226 times
Reputation: 2762
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I meant that Charlotte's density increases towards the center. You took it for something totally different. As far as skylines go, Atlanta has one of the country's best. As for DC and Boston like urbanity, Atlanta and Charlotte leaves much to be desired. If you don't believe me, go to Boston's forum and start a thread called "Atlanta vs. Boston. Which city is more urban?" and watch what happens. I've been to Boston. Those boys up there will probably hurt your feelings because they know the difference between real urbanity and a bunch of scattered skyscrapers. Let me know when you start that thread. I need a good laugh!!! Oh yeah, be sure to do one in DC too? You will get the same response as in Boston, but feel free to try to prove me wrong.
You didn't state it clearly...that's why it was misunderstood - and that's not just my "reading comprehension pride" getting the best of me.

So you switched the conversation again...to urbanity. I've been to Boston and D.C. several times, and I am not impressed with Boston - hated it. It can be urban out the ass and it still isn't anywhere I would live. D.C. is another story, I love D.C. Thanks for the advice on starting a thread, but I know the result of your advice...all of the "D.C. pride" and "Boston pride" would get the best of people in that case.

Atlanta is still much more like those cities when it comes to urbanity than it is like Charlotte. This is getting embarassing...I like Charlotte, but is not in Atlanta's league.
 
Old 11-18-2008, 10:25 PM
 
6,249 posts, read 9,672,162 times
Reputation: 4661
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
You didn't state it clearly...that's why it was misunderstood - and that's not just my "reading comprehension pride" getting the best of me.

So you switched the conversation again...to urbanity. I've been to Boston and D.C. several times, and I am not impressed with Boston - hated it. It can be urban out the ass and it still isn't anywhere I would live. D.C. is another story, I love D.C. Thanks for the advice on starting a thread, but I know the result of your advice...all of the "D.C. pride" and "Boston pride" would get the best of people in that case.

Atlanta is still much more like those cities when it comes to urbanity than it is like Charlotte. This is getting embarassing...I like Charlotte, but is not in Atlanta's league.
I called Atlanta the "New York" of the south. I also said Atlanta makes Charlotte look like Mayberry. Atlanta's suburban population is the biggest reason for this. It is also the reason why Atlanta is in the same league with Boston and DC. Take away the suburbs and Atlanta is pretty much just like every other southern city with the exception of urban centers like New Orleans. New Orleans (pre-Katrina) is the type of city Atlanta should look like but doesn't. In the future, Atlanta will gain the urban look you see throughout the N.O. New Orleans look much different than Charlotte to me than Atlanta does. Scyscrapers don't make a city. Charlotte has the third largest skyline in the southeast behind only Atlanta and Miami. Again, the skyline doesn't make a city. London has virtually no skyline at all. Does this mean Atlanta is more of a city. Heck noooooooo!!!

You should be embarassed. You are having a hard time accepting the truth. Makes me wonder what is your point in your arguments.
 
Old 11-18-2008, 10:27 PM
 
Location: Atlanta and St Simons Island, GA
21,007 posts, read 32,987,960 times
Reputation: 12658
Charlotte = Atlanta circa 1986
Atlanta = Los Angeles circa 1986
 
Old 11-18-2008, 10:34 PM
 
7,848 posts, read 17,828,226 times
Reputation: 2762
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I called Atlanta the "New York" of the south. I also said Atlanta makes Charlotte look like Mayberry. Atlanta's suburban population is the biggest reason for this. It is also the reason why Atlanta is in the same league with Boston and DC. Take away the suburbs and Atlanta is pretty much just like every other southern city with the exception of urban centers like New Orleans. New Orleans (pre-Katrina) is the type of city Atlanta should look like but doesn't. In the future, Atlanta will gain the urban look you see throughout the N.O. New Orleans look much different than Charlotte to me than Atlanta does. Scyscrapers don't make a city. Charlotte has the third largest skyline in the southeast behind only Atlanta and Miami. Again, the skyline doesn't make a city. London has virtually no skyline at all. Does this mean Atlanta is more of a city. Heck noooooooo!!!

You should be embarassed. You are having a hard time accepting the truth. Makes me wonder what is your point in your arguments.
Read back over my posts and you'll see the point...I'm not arguing with you, I'm simply pointing out your misconceptions and erroneous information. Yes, I noticed that one minute you're making statements about how much larger Atlanta is than Charlotte, then the next minute you're trying to say that Charlotte is about to catch up to Atlanta in (fill in blank). Then you're talking about city populations, then metro populations, then county populations...then you make statements about the skyline and in your next post you say that skylines aren't important. The fact is, Charlotte is at least a level or two down from Atlanta in every category.
 
Old 11-18-2008, 10:41 PM
 
1,303 posts, read 1,661,087 times
Reputation: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I'll give you Dekalb because I wasn't thinking about how small it's land area is. Other than that, you are getting me confused with someone else. I am the guy that said Atlanta makes Charlotte look like Mayberry remember? I also said that the biggest difference is the burbs and not the city. If Charlotte was only 132 sq/mi, Atlanta would be less than 100,000 stronger. I am sorry, but this is not a big difference to me. Also, I never called Charlotte more dense than Atlanta. I think you are letting your "A town" pride get the best of you my friend.

At any rate, downtown population doesn't say much because I have heard on the forums that Charlotte's uptown has double the population of downtown Houston. I don't believe this at all BTW. Even if this is true, Houston is still easily 3 to 4 times more of a city than Charlotte. The fact that Mecklenburg and Fulton has added the same amount of people in the same time period means that Meck has a faster rate of growth because it had less people to start with.

Atlanta is a great town!!! I love it down there. I really do. I just see Atlanta for what it is. Charlotte, Memphis, and Atlanta are all different sizes because of the burbs. The difference in town is not that big. I used to think Atlanta was big like Boston and New York until I saw it in person. After one visit, I realized Atlanta looks more like Charlotte than it does to cities like Boston and DC. I am not putting Atlanta down. I am just being honest. I will say that Atlanta builds nice skyscrapers and lots of them. Even Buckhead's skyline is like a city of its own!!! Atlanta has lots to be proud of, but the Charlotte/Atlanta comparisons are going to continue because Charlotte is coming up quickly.

I am not sure what the tallest condo tower is in Atlanta, but Charlotte is building a 50 plus storey condo tower as I type. It is said to have a bowling alley on the ground floor. Also, many of the same stores ya'll shop at in Lenox, we can find in Southpark. Charlotte also has a "Ritz" and "W" brand hotel now. Ten years ago, Atlanta had plenty more than Charlotte. Today, there really isn't that much an Atlantan can do that a Charlottean can't. Atlanta has more to do when it comes to a good party and sporting events, but that is really about it. People in Charlotte can choose the urban life or the suburban life just like in Atlanta. Even though Marta is much larger, I ride trains to sporting events and to dinner in Charlotte just like Atlantans. Again, 10 years ago, things were different in Charlotte. Today, Charlotte has closed the gap were it counts.
well since you can find the same shopping offerings at south park i think i am going to check it out since they have the same thing let me see: BVLGARI CARTIER DIESAL SONY STYLY METROPARK BLOOMINDALES ZARA TRUE RELEGION, 7 FOR ALL MANKIND, ED HARDY, GUCCI VALENTINO BARNEYS THEORY ANNE FONTAINE HUGO BOSS VERSACE GIORGIO ARMANI SAKS JIMMY CHOO ARMANI EXCHANGE MAX MARA DAVID YURMAN MARK SHALE SALVATOR FERRAGOMO H&M STUART WIETZMAN VERA BRADLEY NEIMANS BEING 3 TIMES AS LARGE AS CHARLOTTES STORE Must i go........ on i cant find those stores in charlotte and some of the stores there are multiples. And with the streets of buckhead opening soon PLEASE. SOUTHPARK LOOKS LIKE COBB GALLERIA. The citys just dont compare. Sorry like I said charlotte looks like Atlanta 20 years age. Oh and that lil piece of train that goes no where LOL its a piece of light rail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top