U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 11:12 PM

20,910 posts, read 32,919,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
So when you say that Atlanta is the regional hub of the southeast you're not including south florida right ? Actually a lot of FSU graduates flock to Jacksonville as well.
I think aries is right in that Miami is not a regional hub so much as a 'gateway city' to the Caribbean and Latin America.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:16 PM

12,917 posts, read 20,990,812 times
Quote:
So when you say that Atlanta is the regional hub of the southeast you're not including south florida right ? Actually a lot of FSU graduates flock to Jacksonville as well.
No, I'm not including South Florida is part of the American South. Nevah.

I'm sure FSU grads flock to various places...including Miami...but Atlanta still gets the "FSU cake."

To be clear...

The American South:
-Georgia
-Alabama
-Tennessee
-Arkansas
-Louisiana
-Mississippi
-North Florida (see explanation in previous post)
-South Carolina
-North Carolina
-Kentucky (without the Cincinnati suburbs)
-South Virginia (roughly Richmond to Charlottesville southward...can also include parts of southern West Virginia)

Old 11-18-2008, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I think aries is right in that Miami is not a regional hub so much as a 'gateway city' to the Caribbean and Latin America.
Well said, miss.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:24 PM

9,086 posts, read 12,864,809 times
Quote:
I think Houston is probably the regional hub of the south. If you say that Atlanta is one of the 5 most important cities in the U.S. then you are saying Atlanta is more important than Miami, Dallas, Houston, San Francisco, Boston, etc. Atlanta is an important city but I dont think you can say it's any more important than any of these cities.
Actually as far as importance,there has to be an accepted standard of what importance means.Generally speaking it has to include factors like GDP,Access to Arts,Economic Activity,Global reach,Identity,History,Culture ,future and overall relevance.Atlanta ranks extremely high in most categories.Atlanta is a financial center.Charlote may have a larger sector but its no where in the vicinity of world class.There are many restaurants and hotels that have been named number in the most exclusive rankings that are only in places like Atlanta and other cities like Boston,Miami,Houston,D.C.The educational attainment is high as well as many institutions of higher learning.

BTW there was a poll on here asking the question"what is the capital of the new South?Atlanta won hands down.Houston was a distant second

Old 11-18-2008, 11:26 PM

606 posts, read 1,703,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
No, I'm not including South Florida is part of the American South. Nevah.

I'm sure FSU grads flock to various places...including Miami...but Atlanta still gets the "FSU cake."

To be clear...

The American South:
-Georgia
-Alabama
-Tennessee
-Arkansas
-Louisiana
-Mississippi
-North Florida (see explanation in previous post)
-South Carolina
-North Carolina
-Kentucky (without the Cincinnati suburbs)
-South Virginia (roughly Richmond to Charlottesville southward...can also include parts of southern West Virginia)
What about East Texas, could that be considered the American South ?

Old 11-18-2008, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Actually as far as importance,there has to be an accepted standard of what importance means.Generally speaking it has to include factors like GDP,Access to Arts,Economic Activity,Global reach,Identity,History,Culture ,future and overall relevance.Atlanta ranks extremely high in most categories.Atlanta is a financial center.Charlote may have a larger sector but its no where in the vicinity of world class.There are many restaurants and hotels that have been named number in the most exclusive rankings that are only in places like Atlanta and other cities like Boston,Miami,Houston,D.C.The educational attainment is high as well as many institutions of higher learning.

BTW there was a poll on here asking the question"what is the capital of the new South?Atlanta won hands down.Houston was a distant second
If Atlanta is such an important city, then why is the closest state to Atlanta (Alabama) often considered one of the poorest ? Wouldnt Alabama's proximity to such a major city have a big impact on the state of Alabama ?

Old 11-18-2008, 11:31 PM

Quote:
What about East Texas, could that be considered the American South ?
Well, I don't really. I see Texas as an amalgation of American South, Southwest, Mexico, West, and Midwest. Texas needs "East Texas" as its own in order to be Texas.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:40 PM

Quote:
If Atlanta is such an important city, then why is the closest state to Atlanta (Alabama) often considered one of the poorest ? Wouldnt Alabama's proximity to such a major city have a big impact on the state of Alabama ?
???That makes no sense.But regionally speaking large numbers from people throughout the region move to Atlanta more than any other major city in the south.Atlanta gdp is the 28th in the world.*th in the U.S.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
???That makes no sense.But regionally speaking large numbers from people throughout the region move to Atlanta more than any other major city in the south.Atlanta gdp is the 28th in the world.*th in the U.S.
What makes no sense ? I would figure that being in close proximity to a major city would have a positive effect economically speaking.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:46 PM

Quote:
I was looking at another poll when i quoted in the othere post but here is one from 2005 rankings.City Mayors reviews the richest cities in the world in 2005
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or