U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 06:15 PM

3 posts, read 14,334 times

Advertisements

Hi there everyone. I'm a first year MBA student at the University of Maryland. Even though I'm only in my first year I'm getting ready to begin my internship search, and trying to plan ahead in my job search for next year. I know that right now we are currently undergoing some economic hardship in the US, but I figure that is even more reason to plan ahead.

Anyways, I'll graduate with an MBA in May 2010. Hopefully the economy is better at that time. When I graduate I would like to relocate to a city in the southern part of the United States, as I prefer a warmer climate. I'm originally from Ohio, so I have pretty much been burned out on snow. I'd also like to move to a city that has a large and growing metro area, as well as a lot of opportunity for career progression. Charlotte and Atlanta seem to fit the profile fairly well. The other two cities I am considering are Dallas and Houston, but I am less interested in them.

I have been to Atlanta several times in the past and love the city and it's atmosphere. I've been around Midtown, Buckhead (before it was redone), and have spent the majority of my time in the northern part of the city near Perimeter Mall and Sandy Springs. The city basically seems like a perfect fit for me in terms of what I am looking for in a geographic location. I wouldn't call myself an urban dweller, but I'm not exactly someone that wants to just settle down in the suburbs at this point in my life either. Somewhere inbetween seems like a nice fit for me, and Atlanta seems to represent that.

Charlotte I know absolutely nothing about as I have never been there. I plan to visit over the course of the next year or so, but I have not yet had time too. My understanding is that Charlotte and Atlanta are similar. I have also heard that Charlotte is similar to Columbus, OH which is where I was living for 8 years prior to moving to Washington, DC. I liked Columbus quite a bit, but have been leary of moving back there because of the weather and the fact that I felt Charlotte and Atlanta would have more career opportunities for a newly minted MBA.

From a professional standpoint I'm going to likely be going into marketing and strategy work. Preferably retail and CPG marketing work. The two big retailers headquartered in Charlotte and Atlanta are obviously Lowe's and Home Depot. Those are two of the companies I am targetting, but I am not limiting myself to retail or CPG marketing. Marketing is definitely going to be a top choice however.

So I guess, simply put, in your own opinions, is there anything worth knowing about Atlanta that I should consider when making my decision? In your opinion, would Atlanta be a better city than Charlotte for professional growth, as well as a long-term home?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:37 PM

7,844 posts, read 14,516,197 times
This thread has been done a few times. Search and you shall find.

Atlanta and Charlotte Differences?

Charlotte vs. Atlanta

Atlanta & Charlotte (race relations)

Need to choose either Atlanta and Charlotte

Old 10-21-2008, 02:02 PM

11 posts, read 33,481 times
Hello I don't really have any advice on relocating but I myself am relocating in fall of 2009. I have chosen to relocate to atlanta because it's seems like the place for me. I currently live in Columbus, Ohio and I am so ready to get out of here. I was born and raised in columbus, OHio but it just seems like no one is doing anything and I am ready for so much more.I have a B.A. In Human resources, 26 single, no children and I am just looking for more. I have also heard, Dallas and the Charlotte area was a lot like Columbus, ohio as well. My two choices were Dallas and Atlanta and Atlanta is my choice. So if you find out more infor please share, and good luck with everything.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:06 PM

606 posts, read 1,702,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpklub View Post
Hi there everyone. I'm a first year MBA student at the University of Maryland. Even though I'm only in my first year I'm getting ready to begin my internship search, and trying to plan ahead in my job search for next year. I know that right now we are currently undergoing some economic hardship in the US, but I figure that is even more reason to plan ahead.

Anyways, I'll graduate with an MBA in May 2010. Hopefully the economy is better at that time. When I graduate I would like to relocate to a city in the southern part of the United States, as I prefer a warmer climate. I'm originally from Ohio, so I have pretty much been burned out on snow. I'd also like to move to a city that has a large and growing metro area, as well as a lot of opportunity for career progression. Charlotte and Atlanta seem to fit the profile fairly well. The other two cities I am considering are Dallas and Houston, but I am less interested in them.

I have been to Atlanta several times in the past and love the city and it's atmosphere. I've been around Midtown, Buckhead (before it was redone), and have spent the majority of my time in the northern part of the city near Perimeter Mall and Sandy Springs. The city basically seems like a perfect fit for me in terms of what I am looking for in a geographic location. I wouldn't call myself an urban dweller, but I'm not exactly someone that wants to just settle down in the suburbs at this point in my life either. Somewhere inbetween seems like a nice fit for me, and Atlanta seems to represent that.

Charlotte I know absolutely nothing about as I have never been there. I plan to visit over the course of the next year or so, but I have not yet had time too. My understanding is that Charlotte and Atlanta are similar. I have also heard that Charlotte is similar to Columbus, OH which is where I was living for 8 years prior to moving to Washington, DC. I liked Columbus quite a bit, but have been leary of moving back there because of the weather and the fact that I felt Charlotte and Atlanta would have more career opportunities for a newly minted MBA.

From a professional standpoint I'm going to likely be going into marketing and strategy work. Preferably retail and CPG marketing work. The two big retailers headquartered in Charlotte and Atlanta are obviously Lowe's and Home Depot. Those are two of the companies I am targetting, but I am not limiting myself to retail or CPG marketing. Marketing is definitely going to be a top choice however.

So I guess, simply put, in your own opinions, is there anything worth knowing about Atlanta that I should consider when making my decision? In your opinion, would Atlanta be a better city than Charlotte for professional growth, as well as a long-term home?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
May I ask why you are less interested in Dallas and Houston ?

Old 10-22-2008, 05:37 AM

4,688 posts, read 6,403,041 times
I think this will be the best city for you, one of the best cities in America. Make sure you start searching for jobs several months prior to graduation.....

Old 10-27-2008, 09:58 AM

6,249 posts, read 9,652,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe2000 View Post
I think this will be the best city for you, one of the best cities in America. Make sure you start searching for jobs several months prior to graduation.....
I second that!!! Atlanta is a MUCH more dynamic and urban city than Charlotte ever hoped to be. Keep in mind, I live in Charlotte. You will probably feel as though you missed out on something if you picked Charlotte over Atlanta. Being that you have never seen Charlotte, I have provided a link to some youtube videos my wife and I took of Charlotte's growing urban side. The feature video is a drunk gentleman dancing to a New Orleans style band on Tryon Street in uptown (downtown) Charlotte. We tipped him a twenty for his performance because it was quite funny!!! There are also many video clips of urban style real estate and Charlotte's light rail train. Charlotte's urban side is NOTHING like DC or Atlanta, but I hope these video clips gets you a little familiar with Charlotte. Enjoy!!!
www.youtube.com/urbancharlotte

Old 10-27-2008, 02:36 PM

351 posts, read 1,273,787 times
Charlotte is just like Alpharetta with no character and mid level earners living above their means in tract housing. Avoid. At least in Alpharetta you can comute into a city whereas in Charlotte there is nowhere to go.....................

Old 10-27-2008, 03:18 PM

6,249 posts, read 9,652,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrabbit View Post
Charlotte is just like Alpharetta with no character and mid level earners living above their means in tract housing. Avoid. At least in Alpharetta you can comute into a city whereas in Charlotte there is nowhere to go.....................
I will admit that Charlotte is NOT a big city like Atlanta, but there is life in this town and it is growing. I just think your comment is a little outdated. Here is the link to my youtube videos of Charlotte's night life, light rail, and higher density real estate developments again just in case you missed the first link. I think you might need to watch them before you post such a harsh comment about Charlotte again. There are over 50 video clips so take your time and get to know "Today's" Charlotte a little bit. "Yesterday's" Charlotte is dying fast.
www.youtube.com/urbancharlotte

I love Atlanta!!! I am actually going to be taking a trip to Atlanta soon. I plan on doing some "Urban Atlanta" videos just like I've done with Charlotte. I love Atlanta and Charlotte all the same. When I hit the clubs in Uptown, I see Fulton, Clayton, Cobb, and Dekalb county plates in Charlotte all the time. The people from Atlanta metro that I meet in Charlotte seem to be having a great time uptown. The night I took my videos, my wife and I met a couple from Dallas who were in town for the Panther's game with the Saints (the husband is from Louisiana). They were very impressed with Charlotte's night life. That is a BIG compliment given the fact that they live in Dallas!!! The husband did describe Charlotte as being "country" though!!! The "countryness" of Charlotte did not stop him from enjoying himself uptown.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:28 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,801,442 times
I'm proud of Charlotte like I am with my lil brother whenever he does something good. Charlotte's sort of like ATL's kid brother because that city is trying to emulate the A the way a younger brother or sister does the older. That was not a diss but Charlotte is nice and will go its own way in the future.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:27 PM

2,816 posts, read 9,195,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrabbit View Post
I beg to differ on this. Considering the city limits of Charlotte proper has about 150,000 more in population than the City of Atlanta. Also, Tryon Street and the surrounding areas boast many restaurants and establishments. The main difference is I can walk around the street there without being panhandled to death like Atlanta.

If your young and single you will actually have a ball in both locations.
Now, Georgia does have less income tax than North Carolina and you will find the real estate cheaper in Atlanta too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or