U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2008, 03:40 PM

1,804 posts, read 3,696,464 times

Advertisements

GO VOTE who cares ATL is ATL regardless of what anybody thinks.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:14 PM

719 posts, read 1,476,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
she was just supporting your earlier statement to AT1wnature.
Ah, of course. Like I said, a littlle slow on the uptake today.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:32 PM

Minneapolis vs. Atlanta. Interesting comparison.

Minneapolis strikes me as a city that reached its zenith in the 60s and 70s (best captured in the Mary Tyler Moore show). At that time it shined as a proudly progressive, post-war Midwestern city, a worthy little brother to Chicago culturally.

But Atlanta, which was the same size as the Twin Cities around 1980 or so but has now grown by the size of another whole Twin Cities, now blows it away in terms of size, energy, and vitality. Nonetheless, that post-war liberal pride that made Minneapolis a strong city is still there and you can see it in the education level of the city and support for the arts, for example. Atlanta could definitely learn some things from that city.

One other area where the two cities are virtually identical: their absolutely slavish obsession with what happens in New York as the be-all and end-all of what a striving city should look up to and try to be. As if New York City is the only model the world has ever seen of what a spectacular metropolis can be. In that regard, the two cities are cut from exactly the same cloth.

There are other interesting little tidbits, too, for example the interesting contrast between Atlanta genteelness and Minneapolis' midwestern reserve, despite which, and fascinatingly so, somehow Minneapolis (with its "Minnesota nice" and all) winds up being much closer to Atlanta than you would think.

Last edited by WilliamM; 10-24-2008 at 07:43 PM..

Old 10-24-2008, 08:45 PM

23,075 posts, read 35,028,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamM View Post
Minneapolis vs. Atlanta. Interesting comparison.

Minneapolis strikes me as a city that reached its zenith in the 60s and 70s (best captured in the Mary Tyler Moore show). At that time it shined as a proudly progressive, post-war Midwestern city, a worthy little brother to Chicago culturally.

But Atlanta, which was the same size as the Twin Cities around 1980 or so but has now grown by the size of another whole Twin Cities, now blows it away in terms of size, energy, and vitality. Nonetheless, that post-war liberal pride that made Minneapolis a strong city is still there and you can see it in the education level of the city and support for the arts, for example. Atlanta could definitely learn some things from that city.

One other area where the two cities are virtually identical: their absolutely slavish obsession with what happens in New York as the be-all and end-all of what a striving city should look up to and try to be. As if New York City is the only model the world has ever seen of what a spectacular metropolis can be. In that regard, the two cities are cut from exactly the same cloth.

There are other interesting little tidbits, too, for example the interesting contrast between Atlanta genteelness and Minneapolis' midwestern reserve, despite which, and fascinatingly so, somehow Minneapolis (with its "Minnesota nice" and all) winds up being much closer to Atlanta than you would think.
William, I might argue that Atlanta also had its' heyday in the 70's...I remember that as a time when everyone wanted to move here; there was a restless, wonderful energy then. Then came growth of epic proportions, as well as over 30 years of corrupt and inept government. I barely recognized my hometown when I returned. But I love it still, and I do sense a change in the air...one for the better.
Like you, I find the 'NYC envy' of other major cities pretty annoying...let us find our own destiny. Sometimes I think Atlanta's tendency to look ever forward and reinvent itself, without stopping to consider its' heritage, is a mistake.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:51 PM

3,047 posts, read 8,138,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamM View Post
And your point?
it's called, it's real easy to look good when you group yourself with the equivalent of a bunch of 1st Graders. You don't want to step up into Varsity.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:55 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,542,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post
As a Chicagoan I talk to folks all the time about Atlanta. One reocurring answer I get is bad news and disappointment.

I am thinking people that move to Atlanta because of the hype, I guess. What are people expecting when tey move to Atl. that causes them to move back home after 18months? Do people think are are going to party like a rockstar when they move to Atlanta?

Are peoples expectations to high?

I'm just curiouos why transplants get disappointed.
I've only been to Atlanta a couple times and I have relatives who have lived there all of their lives. They are good people, but I prefer the substance that is Chicago and New York. Proud to be a Yankee.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
it's called, it's real easy to look good when you group yourself with the equivalent of a bunch of 1st Graders. You don't want to step up into Varsity.
You should know

Old 10-24-2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:
I was thinking of a similar metaphor after my first post. It's as if you had an athletic team that had been in division III for some time getting better and better, then suddently they move up to division II where their weaknesses are mercilessly exposed even as they're playing better than they ever did before. And not only do they go up against the other division II teams, but since division I is so small but still have to play somebody the result is that this formerly division III team is suddenly thrown into competition with the div I teams as well. Which is unfair in a way, but as they say, that's how it goes in the big leagues.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Atlanta is all marketing and no substance.
Who are you kidding with that nonsense?

Old 10-24-2008, 09:59 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,288,789 times
Quote:
OOOOHHHHWEEE!!The Varsity is that where you work?LOL Can I get some free fries next time I come with your employee discount?Thanks man!!LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or