U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-28-2009, 03:08 PM

3,014 posts, read 5,736,668 times
so...In conclusion, Atlanta gets a bad reputation because it is NOT diverse. Thanks guys for sharing your opinions!

Old 01-28-2009, 03:33 PM

1,104 posts, read 430,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatgirl007 View Post
Atlanta gets a bad rap for the following reasons. I am speaking as an educated, african american woman, unmarried with no children and a great heart.
I moved to atlanta because I heard it was a black mecca. My first job offer was $10 plus commission. I couldn't believe I left a sales coordinator job with a bachelors degree to get this type of offer. Since I have been here I have watched natives/southern regioners hold positions without qualifications or degrees for higher pay. I have never seen african americans at the bottom of the pay scale, working 4 jobs and calling that ambitious...........I call it stupid and a formula to die early from a heart attack.
I am used to being an open person exposed to different cultures and I think so much is black and white.
I've never experienced such rude people who hold jobs in this city. The women are so competitive for men and are so insecure they can't even speak to you when they do something as simple as ring up your purchase at walmart.
I just don't get it.
I believe in being secure in oneself so I don't run around trying to prove that my home town is bigger and better than NY. I love my city but NY is New York and my city is my city.
I guess I expected people to be more progressive than I thought.
Unfortunately I have had enough staring in my mouth at restaurants to monitor my conversations and general hating on me because I speak proper english to feel forced to only connect with people from major cities like NY, LA, DC area because I feel like we're on the same progressive page. I find those people to be confident, forward thinking, and secure in who they are. I'm familiar with their games but the southern thing is just not my arena.
But on the other hand, I'm here so I will try to make sunshine where ever I am planted.
I think you should post on this forum more often. This is an interesting post to me. In many ways I can relate. If you are around low quality people, speaking properly is very irritating to them. I made an Ebonics thread discussing those same problems. When around low quality people you either have be silent, act shy or adjust to be safe. One thing about this economy problem is it force quality people to work with low quality people. The Media tricked you into thinking all the black people here were Will Smith & Halle Berry...once you get here you saw that was not the case. Be patient though, ATL has quality people, you haven't meet them yet. Good things come slowly not quickly, be patient and adjust.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
You cant speak for all african americans in atlanta just because you settled for a 10 dollar job knowing you had a degree. I have a degree in political science i currently work at a law firm making really good money. My best friend is a computer engineer her also has his master and is making 80,000 a year. there are alot of successful black people here and i am one of them so i suggest you find another job thats going to pay you for what you are worth. ANd for future reference dont ever move somewhere without a job and make sure you do your research on city before you move there . I am from miami where there is culture trust i miss that, but i found out that moving to atlanta was really great for me. I dont have to work four jobs,i am a forward thinking person also . You generalizing Atlanta because of your bad choices and mistakes its wrong my friend.
ATL...haven't you been here for a while? Is finding another job really that easy? This is what I was talking about on the Home Depot thread, the "I have a great job now get yours" people....It is very easy for us to say that when everything is Peaches & cream. I think the girl should be patient, recently I just got a promotion at my gig, after working there 7 months, got a raise and everything, but you know what I found out? They gave me a whack job in the beginning because I was from out of town!!!! They didn't call any of my references nor did they look at my resume....all because I wasn't from Atlanta Georgia....thats crazy!! BUT I needed a job just like many other people in Atlanta Georgia. One of HR ladies said "We don't normally like to hire people from out of state because they normally quit after finding a better job" "So majority of the time we hire them as entry level positions" Funny thing is one day after work I was telling one of the sups what I used to do prior to moving here, he asked to see my resume, so I printed it and gave it to him, this was in December. They called me in the office 2 weeks ago and switched me to a different section. My point is, when new people move here, Atlanta jobs seem to like to make it hard for us to adjust. So you need to go head with that "I got a great job now you get one" Im proud you got a great gig my man, but she is a female, so you can expect complaints. After being told what I was told, I kinda wonder about all these so called qualified people that can't find jobs, and when they are offered something its waaaaay below their standard. If that is the name of the game, COOL Im with it, lets play, But stop trying to act like you better than someone cause you set right now.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:45 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 2,026,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolyfett View Post
ATL...haven't you been here for a while? Is finding another job really that easy? This is what I was talking about on the Home Depot thread, the "I have a great job now get yours" people....It is very easy for us to say that when everything is Peaches & cream. My point is, when new people move here, Atlanta jobs seem to like to make it hard for us to adjust.So you need to go head with that "I got a great job now you get one" I kinda wonder about all these so called qualified people that can't find jobs, and when they are offered something its waaaaay below their standard. If that is the name of the game, COOL Im with it, lets play, But stop trying to act like you better than someone cause you set right now.
I wish I could rep you twice for this one!!! This attitude seems to be the consensus on the Atlanta boards...another reason why Atlanta get a bad rap. They say this isnt the land of milk and honey but ppl are still selling that dream.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:17 PM

YBF its like this bruh....If I am making 100,000 a year and some new dude/chick moves to the city and wants some game, hey man Ima share what I know ya dig, but I ain't tell the person with no connects and no knowledge of the city "GET A BETTER JOB, I GOT MINE!" $#it, you might as well say "go back where you came from"

Ill say this anyone new to Atlanta you want a little game

Private Message

Uncle Greg, Deacon J, Aries, Virgo, Steiner or anyone else that comes off helpful, feel me? Im naming people that have drop some cool info on da city. ATLatlanta makes some positive post as well, but that whole "get a better job, I got one" thing.....Im getting this tone MFers don't want us new folks in this city. I have meet 3 people that just moved here, I have hung out with 2 of them, all of them say no one is helpful. Many were not helpful to me when I first moved here, but I ain't no quiter so F it. So anything I learn, Ima share it. GA is my home now, so all this trolling and making fake names to scare people off ain't working on me.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:31 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 2,026,185 times
I wasnt speaking of anyone in particular but I am too tired of the same old ish...its not that easy to find a new job, friends, contacts...and when you are from another city its makes it that much harder and for ppl to constantly spew this crap out is crazy...just b/c you are good right now doesnt mean that everyone is doing or can do the same.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:28 PM

15,832 posts, read 18,908,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
so...In conclusion, Atlanta gets a bad reputation because it is NOT diverse. Thanks guys for sharing your opinions!
Atlanta only gets a bad rep if people are ignorant and misinformed. It's located in the sunbelt (the south at that) and its not NYC,SF,CHI,OR LA. Here in Texas many people speak positive about ATL and my friend just left to attend Clark and become a choreographer, I have another friend who wants ot go to either LA or ATL to act. ATL is in my top 5 places to visit because of all the great things about it. It was actually one of our top choices for our senior trip; however, we never went.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:28 PM

719 posts, read 1,025,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Woah, wait a second. Atlanta NOT diverse? Not diverse, how?

Socio-economically? Silly. Racially? Please. Ethnically? It sure is by any reasonable criterion I'm aware of. Atlanta's metro percentage of foreign born for ex. if I'm not mistaken is up there. It's respectable in other words.

So let's get our terms straight.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:14 AM

1,304 posts, read 808,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolyfett View Post
ATL...haven't you been here for a while? Is finding another job really that easy? This is what I was talking about on the Home Depot thread, the "I have a great job now get yours" people....It is very easy for us to say that when everything is Peaches & cream. I think the girl should be patient, recently I just got a promotion at my gig, after working there 7 months, got a raise and everything, but you know what I found out? They gave me a whack job in the beginning because I was from out of town!!!! They didn't call any of my references nor did they look at my resume....all because I wasn't from Atlanta Georgia....thats crazy!! BUT I needed a job just like many other people in Atlanta Georgia. One of HR ladies said "We don't normally like to hire people from out of state because they normally quit after finding a better job" "So majority of the time we hire them as entry level positions" Funny thing is one day after work I was telling one of the sups what I used to do prior to moving here, he asked to see my resume, so I printed it and gave it to him, this was in December. They called me in the office 2 weeks ago and switched me to a different section. My point is, when new people move here, Atlanta jobs seem to like to make it hard for us to adjust. So you need to go head with that "I got a great job now you get one" Im proud you got a great gig my man, but she is a female, so you can expect complaints. After being told what I was told, I kinda wonder about all these so called qualified people that can't find jobs, and when they are offered something its waaaaay below their standard. If that is the name of the game, COOL Im with it, lets play, But stop trying to act like you better than someone cause you set right now.
Then she needs to speak for herself and not me because she mentioned african americans. She came here under some assumptions and now she wants to blame it on Atlanta. I have been offered plenty of low paying jobs i didnt accept them because i knew what i was worth. So its up to her to get on the Band wagon and find a good another job and stop complaining and stop speaking for all African Americans. All of them arent successful but there is a big number that are

Old 01-29-2009, 12:21 AM

1,304 posts, read 808,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YBF View Post
I wish I could rep you twice for this one!!! This attitude seems to be the consensus on the Atlanta boards...another reason why Atlanta get a bad rap. They say this isnt the land of milk and honey but ppl are still selling that dream.
No i speak on ignorance just like she went off and made her negative opinons.. I am speaking mine something Everyone does on here. I just believe its not right for her to Speak on Atlanta in such a way because she made bad choices. Instead of asking for advice on where she may be able to find success this is what she did. And i know atlanta is not the land of milk and Honey but it sure has been for me in the Last 6 years and from the looks of the growth and population and status it seems to be too people from around the country because they are moving here in Droves GOT ME!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta