U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 08:30 AM

9,188 posts, read 30,177,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswlguy View Post
I've heard "Atlanta" described as many things ... however many posts have indicated that new residents come here looking for ATL to be like "home" (New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco, Seattle, Miami, etc.) but it's simply NOT. And that's where disappointment takes root.
Good observation.

Yes, there are corporate headhunters and realtors throughout the U.S. who hype up Atlanta as the land of milk and honey - especially to professional blacks. But the above statement is also true. People come here thinking Atlanta is some generic "International" city that will compare to wherever they come from - only with homes that are half the price and more jobs. They quickly find that while the homes are half price - so are the pay scales, and the surpluss of jobs usually are not always in the fields they seek. Then, what's this? No ocean? No Chinatown? No SoHo? No real public transit system? Holy... !! Atlanta is different than any other city. Some love it, other hate it, but you can't compare it to anywhere else.

The three chant words need to be, "Visit, Visit.. and VISIT" a city BEFORE you decide to relocate there. Don't go by hype, rumor, stories, web pages, or brochures. Go and visit, live it, and then decide.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:25 AM

263 posts, read 1,022,361 times
- some people move here with no jobs skills thinking a pot of gold will land on near their door the first night they are here

I think its the best city in America because of:

the weather plus u dont have to worry about hurricanes, earthquakes, or snowstorms

one of the cheapest large cities in america to live in

always something to do even on monday nights

no other city has offered the most sporting events than atlanta, no other city in america has had the olympics along with a having every professional sports team along with bowl games,etc

nice people

one of the best cities for restaurants in america

best skyline outside of chicago, nyc, and miami

the best looking black women in america

best down home food in america

near the mountains, few hours drive to the ocean

not as much crime as other cities (bmore, dc, new orleans, etc)

more diverse than seattle, boston, denver, etc

outside of miami, la, and nyc no other cities have more celebs than atlanta

great colleges

largest airport in america

largest aquarium in america

great shopping

etc

i personnally think atlanta beats boston, seattle, la, houston, miami, etc

Last edited by chip1980; 10-09-2008 at 10:53 AM..

Old 10-09-2008, 10:16 AM

321 posts, read 996,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post
*chuckles at your post*

1) I am a 35 year old man. Sure that's young but old enough to know better.

2) My post stated that I have heard others say bad things about Atlanta. If that's their view that's fine. Some folks would say bad things about Chicago. I don't try to defend it. If people have a bad vibe about the city, they are more than entitled to it.

3) I never said one thing about Atlanta in a negitive tone.

4) Again I just bthought I would ask the question because of what I have heard, jus out of curiousity,as I stated in my post. We get many, many folks asking the same questions on the Chicago board and I am always happy to respond, never have I told someone : "it's possible that you're young". Talk about being on you high horse.

5) One thing about Chicagoans, we love our city and all of it's mess, but if you don't like it we don't try to break your arm about it and attempt to defend it. We know Chi is a special city just like Atlanta natives know the same holds true for Atlanta.

I just asked a question, no harm intended.
What an absolutely wonderful, on the mark response and I truly wish that some folks here, there and everywhere would adopt more of a "realistic" approach to [any] metropolitan areas virtues, drawbacks, pleasantries and short-comings.

Thank you Ron for your response(s) to me. I myself have reiterated over & over & over & over ... that deliberate, over-defending others' perceptions (not HARD facts, but perceptions and feelings) are just an indication that what the other people or person(s) are perceiving may just have some validitiy.

Let me assure you ... you've more than hit the mark. I'm an 18 year resident [continuous] here in Metro Atlanta, I've lived INSIDE, OUTSIDE ... I still have my retirement home in CA. [I'm eight years from retirement]. Tell you what, I'm leaving town for EU tomorrow [business] and I'll be back Sunday night. I'll ask some of my customers "their perception" of Atlanta on the way out and the way back and I'll post the results.

The over-sensitivity from perhaps mature adults, flippant and rude return remarks about someone elses' perceptions is completely asinine.

If someone complained that my "car was dirty" ... I'd look to see first, if spotless ... I'd smile and wink , if a smudge ... I'd wipe it. If dirty and there was water ... I'd wash it and say thank you. If not, so be it. AND I would move on.

Denial folks, is NOT a River in Egypt...

Old 10-09-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I would guarantee you if I went on the Chicago thread and posed the exact same question you did and changed the cities around, there would be just as many if not more raving Chicago fans countering my statement about Chicago's bad rap. And probably with less of the southern hospitality that is being displayed here.

I think a less emotive way of explaining it is that when we are younger, the grass is always greener somewhere else. We move, we look for something better. For many, the grass is greener elsewhere, they appreciate it and stay. But for more of us, even the greener grass isn't home and we want home even with its brown dried up grass.

I love Atlanta. It is my home. I am now in Texas. Dallas isn't bad, I could be in areas a lot worse. There are things here I appreciate that Atlanta doesn't have. But it isn't home. I long and yearn for the day when I can go back to my beloved Georgia.

When that day comes, it won't be because Texas got a bad rap, it will simply be me going home, tapping my ruby red slippers at the heels and chanting along with Dorothy and Toto, "there's no place......"
Ok, ok enough. Tap your little shoes, give Texas the Italian salute and move back to Hogansville where you belong. Enough is ENOUGH!

Last edited by rswlguy; 10-09-2008 at 11:20 AM..

Old 10-09-2008, 12:22 PM

7,275 posts, read 10,025,149 times
Quote:
Ok, ok enough. Tap your little shoes, give Texas the Italian salute and move back to Hogansville where you belong. Enough is ENOUGH!

I'm waiting til u go back to California first

Having a bad day Roswell guy? Need a hug?

Old 10-09-2008, 01:07 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,436,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post
As a Chicagoan I talk to folks all the time about Atlanta. One reocurring answer I get is bad news and disappointment.
I'm a transplant, and I've been rather pleased with what we found down here, but I'm not in the City of Atlanta proper but living in a NW suburb about 5 miles OTP (outside the I-285 perimeter).

Then again, we knew that it would be different from the Twin Cities in many ways so we didn't expect to find a Twin Cities clone. That way we were pleasantly surprised when many things actually turned out to be similar.

Sounds to me like they were expecting a mythical City of Gold and found reality instead.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:04 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,253,399 times
Quote:
I move to Metro Atlanta in 1991 (job transfers). Lived "intown" ... bought a house Virginia-Highlands ... then 18mo later, bought a home in the NW 'burbs and rented out the other house ever since.

Anything "hyped" [in my opinion] "burns fast, burns hot then is gone".

I've heard "Atlanta" described as many things ... however many posts have indicated that new residents come here looking for ATL to be like "home" (New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco, Seattle, Miami, etc.) but it's simply NOT. And that's where disappointment takes root. After all the silly arguments I've witnessed on this venue, it truly makes NO sense to compare. ATL is Atlanta and it's not going to be like any other place. Let it BE what it is ...

I have a pretty decent life in the NW 'burbs. To be honest however, when I want to see a theatrical production, play ... or upscale shopping, I don't even THINK of the City of Atlanta. I hop a flight to New York, Chicago ... Washington, DC ... or Los Angeles. That's where I like to go.

New York, Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, DC, San Francisco, San Diego, Miami, Dallas, Houston, New Orleans (sorry if I left anyone out) and Atlanta all have their own unique qualities.

And in all honesty [my opinion] no two are alike.
Just curious why would you move from VaHi?People are clamoring to move in that neighborhood.I personally think its a city neighborhood that anyone moving from any place would see the benefits and of liveing.Don't get me wrong i know the value of living in the suburbs,its just that you come across as "city-folk" type of person.LOL.No point to be made just curious.

Although I guess what you say about going another city for a play or world class amenities is just the point.To many issues to live in thouse places but always great to visit.I made that staement earlier about if you had to pick your top 10 cities in the U.S. without thought of money,Atlanta definately would not be in the top 5 for most.Chicago would be maybe but the wintersr still would be a major issue for many.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
I'm waiting til u go back to California first
Having a bad day Roswell guy? Need a hug?
Naw, not really ... great day here in NW Metro ATL after a nice long rainstorm. I'm very fortunate to be able to go home to California EVERY month ... as I have for the past 18 years.

So you're free to return to Troup County, Georgia any time you want. I wouldn't necessarily wait for any kind of ceremony?

Going home to California keeps my psyche "tuned up" for whatever challenges I must face during my daily work & pleasure activities and lifestyle. There was an immediate need to do so when I first moved here(elderly parents) however I continued the visit(s) because I felt it was doing myself a great deal of good.

I'm very glad that you finally recognize the importance for ALL Americans to be able to find endearing their own roots, demographics and pride in their home State of residence. And most importantly, accomplishing this without denigrating others perceptions or feelings. That's always the challenge...

Because we ALL have a "Home State" as native born Americans, right? Of course we do! Save the hug for yourself. Sounds like you are more lonesome for Georgia than I am for California?

Old 10-09-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Just curious why would you move from VaHi?People are clamoring to move in that neighborhood.I personally think its a city neighborhood that anyone moving from any place would see the benefits and of liveing.Don't get me wrong i know the value of living in the suburbs,its just that you come across as "city-folk" type of person.LOL.No point to be made just curious.

Although I guess what you say about going another city for a play or world class amenities is just the point.To many issues to live in thouse places but always great to visit.I made that staement earlier about if you had to pick your top 10 cities in the U.S. without thought of money,Atlanta definately would not be in the top 5 for most.Chicago would be maybe but the wintersr still would be a major issue for many.
Thank you AF for your recognition and comments. Yes, I definately am a BIG CITY person. If you don't mind, I'll answer some of your questions DM as the answer(s) and my thoughts may not "sit well" with other posters.

OH BTW ... I just saw on MSN that Atlanta was voted and "rated" best place for singles. I hope you saw it, I'm still looking for the original article and planned on posting a new thread. AND I AM sure that they were referring to "younger" generation singles (20s-30s) ...

Thanks again for your post and thoughts...

Old 10-09-2008, 04:19 PM

8,521 posts, read 13,947,589 times
I did not say anything about other Chicagoans responding, I said the way I would respond. In one of my posts I stated "we love our city and it's MESS". That means I can be honest about my city.

I know Chicago is not the perfect place and I will say that in my posts. I'll give the good and bad. I know there are better places. The world is a big place and it did not start in Chicago. I can give a very NON-EMOTIONAL response about Chicago.

I'll keep it a honest as I can get. I don't need to surgar coat the city. Even with all of the fantastic things and opportunities the city has to offer, Chicago is equally corrupt and has drawbacks. The drawbacks by themselves can intimidate a new resident becuase Chicago can be a tough city to navigate.

For the record and before my words are misunderstood, I am not saying Chicago cannot be navigated but it can be tough for someone new and they have no idea how to get into the groove of the city. For some people they move here and jump right in for many they need more direction. That's what I try to give in my posts.

Quote:
I would guarantee you if I went on the Chicago thread and posed the exact same question you did and changed the cities around, there would be just as many if not more raving Chicago fans countering my statement about Chicago's bad rap. And probably with less of the southern hospitality that is being displayed here.

I think a less emotive way of explaining it is that when we are younger, the grass is always greener somewhere else. We move, we look for something better. For many, the grass is greener elsewhere, they appreciate it and stay. But for more of us, even the greener grass isn't home and we want home even with its brown dried up grass.

I love Atlanta. It is my home. I am now in Texas. Dallas isn't bad, I could be in areas a lot worse. There are things here I appreciate that Atlanta doesn't have. But it isn't home. I long and yearn for the day when I can go back to my beloved Georgia.

When that day comes, it won't be because Texas got a bad rap, it will simply be me going home, tapping my ruby red slippers at the heels and chanting along with Dorothy and Toto, "there's no place......"

Last edited by Ron.; 10-09-2008 at 04:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or