U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-14-2008, 01:17 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA (Dunwoody)
2,047 posts, read 3,966,792 times
Reputation: 959

Advertisements

Thanks Lovin' Decatur for saving me some typing. This mythology of the 'Great Atlanta' destroyed by Sherman is just one of the myths surrounding the Civil War that drives me insane.

 
Old 10-14-2008, 03:47 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 13,294,677 times
Reputation: 2929
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Thanks Lovin' Decatur for saving me some typing. This mythology of the 'Great Atlanta' destroyed by Sherman is just one of the myths surrounding the Civil War that drives me insane.
Not Atlanta so much but in Georgia overall he decimated some places.So i was taught if i remember correctly.
 
Old 10-17-2008, 07:36 AM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
23,112 posts, read 35,061,639 times
Reputation: 15300
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Not Atlanta so much but in Georgia overall he decimated some places.So i was taught if i remember correctly.
True; in the 'March to the Sea', he burned a 60 mile swath right through the state.
 
Old 10-17-2008, 07:47 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA (Dunwoody)
2,047 posts, read 3,966,792 times
Reputation: 959
But if I'm not mistaken most of that was farmland, railroads and other such military targets. I can't imagine there was a heckuva lot of development, at least not as we know the term, between here and Savannah.
 
Old 10-17-2008, 08:07 AM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
23,112 posts, read 35,061,639 times
Reputation: 15300
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
But if I'm not mistaken most of that was farmland, railroads and other such military targets. I can't imagine there was a heckuva lot of development, at least not as we know the term, between here and Savannah.
That's right...he famously spared the town of Madison, of course. I heard a story once that the devastation was so complete that birds flying over the burned area would carry food with them as they instinctively knew there would be nothing for them to forage for some time.
 
Old 10-17-2008, 09:02 AM
 
Location: Georgia native in McKinney, TX
7,408 posts, read 10,078,074 times
Reputation: 5917
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
That's right...he famously spared the town of Madison, of course. I heard a story once that the devastation was so complete that birds flying over the burned area would carry food with them as they instinctively knew there would be nothing for them to forage for some time.
Newnan got a reprieve as well as it was used as a hospital town for Union and Confederate soldiers. Newnan is also famous for its old homes even though Madison seems to have a more famous rep as the "spared" town.
 
Old 10-17-2008, 09:42 AM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 13,294,677 times
Reputation: 2929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Newnan got a reprieve as well as it was used as a hospital town for Union and Confederate soldiers. Newnan is also famous for its old homes even though Madison seems to have a more famous rep as the "spared" town.
I have not been to Newnan in a while but i remember the old beautiful homes there.
 
Old 10-18-2008, 08:20 PM
 
2 posts, read 7,090 times
Reputation: 14
I think its the best city in America because of:

the weather plus u dont have to worry about hurricanes, earthquakes, or snowstorms

you forgot the sweltering summers where the humidity is 5000%

one of the cheapest large cities in america to live in

cheap? Ansley has little cracker boxes for $995,000-- you call that cheap????

always something to do even on monday nights

like what? hang out with the gheymos @the Ansley Mall? lol

no other city has offered the most sporting events than atlanta, no other city in america has had the olympics along with a having every professional sports team along with bowl games,etc

what a joke! the sports teams here are TOTAL LOSERS

nice people

yeah right

one of the best cities for restaurants in america

the restaurants here are 3rd rate at BEST

best skyline outside of chicago, nyc, and miami

you call this a "skyline"? What a joke!

the best looking black women in america

that's a plus?

best down home food in america

again, that's a plus?

near the mountains, few hours drive to the ocean

so? big deal.....

not as much crime as other cities (bmore, dc, new orleans, etc)

yeah right! Home invasions are de rigeur in da A-T-L

more diverse than seattle, boston, denver, etc

once again, this is a plus?

outside of miami, la, and nyc no other cities have more celebs than atlanta

::laughing:: WHAT "celebrities"? You mean rapper clowns? lol

great colleges

very average actually....

largest airport in america

Once again, this is a "plus"?????

largest aquarium in america
Ho hum--put me to sleep....

great shopping

umm the shopping here is a JOKE--the ONLY half-way decent mall is way they hell North out in the sticks off 85....



etc

i personnally think atlanta beats boston, seattle, la, houston, miami,

well that your opinion--they're just like *******s--everybody has one....
 
Old 10-19-2008, 01:07 AM
 
26 posts, read 88,302 times
Reputation: 33
It you like endless suburbs, you'll love it. If you like real cities, stay as far away as possible!!!
 
Old 10-19-2008, 01:53 AM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,276,935 times
Reputation: 2784
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefdc View Post
It you like endless suburbs, you'll love it. If you like real cities, stay as far away as possible!!!
If you live in the city, you don't see endless suburbs...but nice city. If you live in the suburbs, um...you get suburbs - just like anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:59 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top