U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2008, 04:24 AM

9,086 posts, read 13,294,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mengelewasaboyscout View Post
I think its the best city in America because of:

the weather plus u dont have to worry about hurricanes, earthquakes, or snowstorms

you forgot the sweltering summers where the humidity is 5000%

one of the cheapest large cities in america to live in

cheap? Ansley has little cracker boxes for $995,000-- you call that cheap????

always something to do even on monday nights

like what? hang out with the gheymos @the Ansley Mall? lol

no other city has offered the most sporting events than atlanta, no other city in america has had the olympics along with a having every professional sports team along with bowl games,etc

what a joke! the sports teams here are TOTAL LOSERS

nice people

yeah right

one of the best cities for restaurants in america

the restaurants here are 3rd rate at BEST

best skyline outside of chicago, nyc, and miami

you call this a "skyline"? What a joke!

the best looking black women in america

that's a plus?

best down home food in america

again, that's a plus?

near the mountains, few hours drive to the ocean

so? big deal.....

not as much crime as other cities (bmore, dc, new orleans, etc)

yeah right! Home invasions are de rigeur in da A-T-L

more diverse than seattle, boston, denver, etc

once again, this is a plus?

outside of miami, la, and nyc no other cities have more celebs than atlanta

::laughing:: WHAT "celebrities"? You mean rapper clowns? lol

great colleges

very average actually....

largest airport in america

Once again, this is a "plus"?????

largest aquarium in america
Ho hum--put me to sleep....

great shopping

umm the shopping here is a JOKE--the ONLY half-way decent mall is way they hell North out in the sticks off 85....

etc

i personnally think atlanta beats boston, seattle, la, houston, miami,

well that your opinion--they're just like *******s--everybody has one....
America's best restaurant cities - ForbesTraveler.com
Atlanta is in the top 10 best cities for restaurants and by many different polls has highly regarded restaurants in the U.S.

4 and 5Star Mobile rated Restaurants.Atlanta has at least 3.Most cities its size at best have 1.So third rate is not accurate or truthful.

As far a what the person said about cheapest or least expensive housing he is accurate.Why would you pick Ansley(one of the most expensive) out all the other desirable neighborhoods in Atlanta?On top of that you are still not accurate.The average house in Ansley is know where near 1million dollars.To be correct its $385,000.Not cheap,but compared to the other cities mentioned,it is as he mentioned cheaper.

Shopping may be a joke to you but you may not realize that by most retail companies that operate here,they tend to be in the top of their companies ladder in profitability.People have shopping trips from as far away as Lousianna and Mississippi just to come to Alanta for that purpose.This is not NYC or Chicago or L.A but the Streets of Buckhead has already signed top designers that can only be found in the most exclusive wealthiest places.Those new boutiques will definitely cement the city the a a premier shopping destination not just for middle classes,but for all those people that live in the "million dollar" homes in Ansly that you claim.Which begs the reason why would people that can afford and expensive home to live in thats not even in Buckhead not have great shopping choices?Maybe because you are wrong? Shopping is not on the level of larger more prominent cities,but you can find decent shopping available without having to search to hard..Even in this weak market Atlanta is fairing better that most cities by far. Phipps Plaza is well withinn the borders of Atlanta and not far out and it has shops that Northpoint Mall or Mall of Georgia do not have.

Atlanta is the number one city for continued projected growth of millionaires inthe country.The city has the 8th largest gdp in America and 27th in the world.

The colleges here maybe in your opinion average,but other than say NYC,Boston,San Fran,D.C. as far as colleges and Universities,Atlanta stands up very well.Has one of the highest student populations out of the major cities,Emory,Morehouse,Spelman and Gerogia Tech seem to be regulars at the top on many list.
I guess my point is so you don't appear as a crazed over-the-top,unhappy,self righteous p...k,who likes to degrade people for the decisions they choose where to live their life(in which your behavior in your response seems to indicate that you may be)you should state what is opinon and not what is B.S. that you are trying to pass as wikepedia certified.

Most of the stuff is opinion.But at least get your facts straight and try not to be nasty to people who do not share your OPINION.Thank you.

The Dining Room (http://mobiltravelguide.howstuffworks.com/dining-room-atlanta-ga-restaurant.htm - broken link)
Bacchanalia (http://mobiltravelguide.howstuffworks.com/bacchanalia-atlanta-ga-restaurant.htm - broken link)
Park 75 at the Four Seasons (http://mobiltravelguide.howstuffworks.com/park-75-at-four-seasons-atlanta-ga-restaurant.htm - broken link)

Old 10-19-2008, 05:56 AM

7,848 posts, read 18,276,935 times
Georgia Tech, Emory, Agnes Scott, Oglethorpe...average? Exactly - these universities are far above average. Most people know that Atlanta is a restaurant, shopping, and entertainment destination - unless they have been in isolation for 20 years. Buckhead has some of the most upscale dining/shopping spots in the U.S.

Some people are so jaded and spiteful that they can't see the truth even when it is directly in front of them. Someone in Atlanta must have angered this person or broken his/her heart for all of those inaccurate "facts" to be publicized.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:07 AM

37,139 posts, read 45,664,410 times
I hate Atlanta because of the traffic, and I got my car broken into in broad daylight by some drug addict there.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Georgia Tech, Emory, Agnes Scott, Oglethorpe...average? Exactly - these universities are far above average. Most people know that Atlanta is a restaurant, shopping, and entertainment destination - unless they have been in isolation for 20 years. Buckhead has some of the most upscale dining/shopping spots in the U.S.

Some people are so jaded and spiteful that they can't see the truth even when it is directly in front of them. Someone in Atlanta must have angered this person or broken his/her heart for all of those inaccurate "facts" to be publicized.
Thanks for the other colleges ,how could i have forgotten them!!

Old 10-19-2008, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I hate Atlanta because of the traffic, and I got my car broken into in broad daylight by some drug addict there.
Well thats legitimate ,but you know that happens in every American city!Although the traffic really will test anyone's patience and limits to live here.But i live intown and work intown so traffic is never really an issue for me.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:58 PM

360 posts, read 871,752 times
If I gave Atlanta a bad rap, it would be for this:

Compared with everywhere else I've lived, it's more difficult to get around because of the sprawl and traffic and I don't find government and business/banking services to be as efficient, competent or friendly. You have to jump through more hoops to get less, it seems to me.

I've definitely had a harder time moving here than other places, just in terms of time spent at the DMV, at the bank for run-of-the-mill services, getting my utilities, vast oceans of trouble with my cable company, trouble with people who clearly shouldn't be holding the jobs they hold because of surliness or competence or both. I sure hope I've just had a run of bad luck and that it's not typical for most people moving here.

That has definitely put a sour taste in my mouth I didn't experience in other moves (to Greensboro, N.C.; Austin, Texas; and Charlotte, N.C). Those cities seemed to be more efficient, less bureaucratic and had friendlier workers who did their jobs better.

But this city has much to offer, and I am slowly crossing off the one-time items on my moving laundry list, and I hope that will adjust my view of my new city accordingly with much of that behind me.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCLTtoATL View Post
If I gave Atlanta a bad rap, it would be for this:

Compared with everywhere else I've lived, it's more difficult to get around because of the sprawl and traffic and I don't find government and business/banking services to be as efficient, competent or friendly. You have to jump through more hoops to get less, it seems to me.

I've definitely had a harder time moving here than other places, just in terms of time spent at the DMV, at the bank for run-of-the-mill services, getting my utilities, vast oceans of trouble with my cable company, trouble with people who clearly shouldn't be holding the jobs they hold because of surliness or competence or both. I sure hope I've just had a run of bad luck and that it's not typical for most people moving here.

That has definitely put a sour taste in my mouth I didn't experience in other moves (to Greensboro, N.C.; Austin, Texas; and Charlotte, N.C). Those cities seemed to be more efficient, less bureaucratic and had friendlier workers who did their jobs better.

But this city has much to offer, and I am slowly crossing off the one-time items on my moving laundry list, and I hope that will adjust my view of my new city accordingly with much of that behind me.
You have a good attitude and seem to understand the possible difficulties of moving to a new city. Your troubles with utilities and such are really just the luck of the draw...like any customer service situation. Some companies are militant about quality service with employees or make sure employees are pretty happy at work (Home Depot) so costomers hardly ever have a problem (the old Wachovia, before the First Union merger), but some are a little haphazard and you have a 50/50 chance of getting a rep with a bad attitude (Comcast).

Old 10-20-2008, 12:26 AM

360 posts, read 871,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
You have a good attitude and seem to understand the possible difficulties of moving to a new city. ... Some companies are militant about quality service with employees or make sure employees are pretty happy at work (Home Depot) so costomers hardly ever have a problem (the old Wachovia, before the First Union merger), but some are a little haphazard and you have a 50/50 chance of getting a rep with a bad attitude (Comcast).
Thanks. Whenever that angry swarm of hornets start buzzing in my head, I just try to stay calm and remember ... this will pass ... this will pass ... this will pass.

It's a darn shame about Wachovia. They had such a rich legacy before the merger with First Union. That merger really hurt Winston-Salem, too, and now the fall of Wachovia is going to hurt Charlotte. Things would have been better for both cities and both banks if that merger had never happened. It was a clash of cultures from the start.

As for Comcast, I devoted an entire thread in a *sah-lute* to them. I do think they've been 50% of my moving anguish. I really wish that company all the worst life has to offer. I think I can let all the rest pass.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Thanks. Whenever that angry swarm of hornets start buzzing in my head, I just try to stay calm and remember ... this will pass ... this will pass ... this will pass.

It's a darn shame about Wachovia. They had such a rich legacy before the merger with First Union. That merger really hurt Winston-Salem, too, and now the fall of Wachovia is going to hurt Charlotte. Things would have been better for both cities and both banks if that merger had never happened. It was a clash of cultures from the start.

As for Comcast, I devoted an entire thread in a *sah-lute* to them. I do think they've been 50% of my moving anguish. I really wish that company all the worst life has to offer. I think I can let all the rest pass.
THe comcast issue will get you no arguments from me and most people!!They are absolutely horrible!!I hate to say it but with them the worst might be yet to come!!

Old 10-20-2008, 04:36 AM

Quote:

What is wrong with them? My worst complaint lately is all of the misprints and errors in the on-air program guide. Often I'll look for something to watch, find it and note what time it comes on, then come to watch it at that time and it's Good Times or something that I don't want to see (not to bash Good Times, but you know)...and I say "DAMN, DAMN, DAMN!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or