Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2006, 05:27 PM

3 posts, read 17,164 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! My hubby and I are planning on moving to Ga in the next couple of years. We work for Trader Joe's and are very excited that they have (or will be) moving to midtown Atlanta, Sandy Springs, Norcross and Roswell. We would like to move into a mobile home within 30 minutes of any of those areas. So far I have checked out Alpharetta, Acworth, Canton, Griffin, Douglasville and Austelle. Didn't check into Buford yet, but there seems to be a mobile home park there. Would anyone be willing to share some info on these areas? We SO MUCH want to find a nice quiet area to CHILL...being in our late 40's, early 50's, and need to purchase a mobile home in an area with land (lot) fees much cheaper than where we currently live...Ma. Lot fees are outrageous here! We'd like to live in a nice quiet area with a diverse culture, and far away from the maddening crowd, hopefully not TOO many youngsters, as we have raised our own, and would like a nice quiet neighborhood. Thanks so much to everyone who has posted info. I have found it very informative and helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2006, 09:04 PM

4 posts, read 25,294 times
um... are you aware that Atlanta has the longest commute in the nation? Because of that a 30 minute commute puts you in some VERY expensive land.

Old 06-07-2006, 05:37 AM

3 posts, read 17,164 times
Default thanks for info

Hi and thanks for the comment. I am aware of that, and am more interested in a 30 min. commute to Sandy Springs, Norcross or Roswell areas. We would prefer to not live too close to Atlanta. Somewhere within 30 minutes of upper Fulton would be good. We're not looking into purchasing land. Rather, renting a spot in a mobile home park. Right now, our land fees are over $600 a month. That does not include the mortgage on our home.

Old 06-07-2006, 07:58 AM

66 posts, read 347,052 times
try cummings it's about 30 minutes

Old 09-17-2006, 09:20 PM

1 posts, read 7,647 times
Default Moving to Atlanta

If you want to purchase a mobile home, you may want to look at Countryside village. There are 2 or 3 parks in Gwinnett County, GA that usually have existing mobile homes set up on lots for sale. Lilburn, Buford and maybe Lawrenceville, GA should have communities. Lilburn is closer in to Atl than the other two.

Old 09-17-2006, 09:51 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Many communities don't allow mobile homes, so yes, you need to check ahead first.

But I would suggest doing some research into "manufactured home" communities and/or dealers, first. Some people call them "pre-manufactured" homes or "prefab" or whatever, but basically they're home where the walls and everything are put together in a factory under very controlled conditions, taken apart, then shipped to your lot and put together quickly.

They are cheaper than a frame built house, and according to some stats in Florida, actually stronger than standard frame built homes during hurricanes. Since they are pre-built in warehouses, apparently the standards are higher, inspections greater, etc. Do keep in mind that Georgia DOES get tornados. Mobile homes are not exactly the ideal place to be in Spring and certain Fall periods here during the tornado season.

If you're still mindset on living in one, I have heard that some communities do allow basements to be dug out, and a double-wide can be set on one and therefore have the safety of a basement in bad weather, but still be less expensive than a typical home.

Old 09-25-2006, 12:03 AM

28 posts, read 93,294 times
Almost all (if not all) metro Atlanta counties have some trailer parks. Some counties have moratoriums on parking a trailer on a new spot, but the existing parks are grandfathered in. Your commute with traffic will be likely more than 30 minutes - at least on some days. Keep in mind, with Atlanta traffic, it can take you 30 minutes to travel 5 miles. Depends on the day, the weather and other circumstances that we just can't seem to figure out. A commute that may take you 30 minutes on one day, may take 90 or more on another. But to answer your question, yes, you can find a trailer spot with a 20-30 mile commute.

Old 09-26-2006, 05:53 AM

1 posts, read 7,641 times
Default Have You Found A Place?

I currently live in a double wide in Gwinnett on the dekalb/rockdale county line. I work at a university in Atlanta and my to work commute is generally 30-45 minutes. The lot rent is $405 a month, the place has a really nice lake and a swimming pool. I would be glad to give you the scoop and maybe even very good deal on place to reside.

Old 11-20-2006, 07:34 AM

1 posts, read 7,629 times
Thumbs up Were is this location

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTHECOUNTRY View Post
I currently live in a double wide in Gwinnett on the dekalb/rockdale county line. I work at a university in Atlanta and my to work commute is generally 30-45 minutes. The lot rent is $405 a month, the place has a really nice lake and a swimming pool. I would be glad to give you the scoop and maybe even very good deal on place to reside.
I am trying to locate mobile homes and i am having the hardest time if it is not to mush trouble can you please tell me how to get to your location please. or near it or something by it so i can find my way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta