U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-13-2007, 06:04 PM

4 posts, read 8,870 times
Default Brookhaven/Downtown commute?

So my girlfriend and I will be moving to Atlanta this summer and have spent a few weekends exploring the area. We have stayed in Downtown, Midtown, and Buckhead and have also spent some time at Atlantic Station and Virginia Highlands. We really enjoy all these neighborhoods and I think that is what sets Atlanta apart from any other city in the southeast.

We will be renting an apartment for a year or so and working downtown. Our main priorities will be safety and a convenient commute. Our price range is up to around $1600 for a 2br/2ba so I don't think we will be limited by that.

The "hot" neighborhood now seems to be the Brookhaven area (at least we seem to hear that name a lot when we ask people living and working ITP for suggestions). Does anyone have any idea what kind of commute we can expect (drive time) from Brookhaven to Downtown?

We will probably consider using Marta frequently but I don't want to rely on that as we may have to work late frequently and there appear to be "safety concerns" after certain hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2007, 06:18 PM

985 posts, read 3,989,920 times
The trip is around 25 to 30 minutes without accident. Unfortunately, I-85/I-75 around Atlantic station is prone to accident. In that case, all bets are off.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxu66 View Post
The trip is around 25 to 30 minutes without accident. Unfortunately, I-85/I-75 around Atlantic station is prone to accident. In that case, all bets are off.
Thanks for the reply. Do you know how long the trip would be if you avoided 75/85 and took "back roads"?

Old 02-13-2007, 06:58 PM

154 posts, read 420,868 times
You really don't have to get on the freeway to get from Brookhaven to downtown. You could actually take Peachtree all the way but I'd imagine it's fairly congested in the mornings. Why not consider south Buckhead ? It's a bit closer. I'm not sure what your ideal neighborhood is but Brookhaven is pretty...boring. It's fairly suburban and comes complete with strip malls. If you're young you may prefer the vibrancy of Buckhead or Midtown or some of the other neighborhoods you mentioned.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:31 PM

3,461 posts, read 7,000,667 times
I second the suggestion of South Buckhead -- you would be better off in terms of the commute and it is a more vibrant -- younger community.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:11 PM

I think we would prefer those areas as well, was just curious about Brookhaven as it is an area we haven't had a chance to see yet and I have heard a lot of people mention it recently.

I'd really like to live in Midtown near the park but it seems that there are mainly condos in that area (east of the park, b/t 10th and 17th). I suppose my best bet may be to rent a condo in that area.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
I second the suggestion of South Buckhead -- you would be better off in terms of the commute and it is a more vibrant -- younger community.
By South Buckhead are you referring to the Peachtree Hills/Lindbergh area? I noticed that they are building a "live/work/play" near Lindbergh which could be very interesting

Old 02-13-2007, 09:07 PM

1,089 posts, read 4,315,888 times
With avoiding highways that commute in the morning would probably take about 30 minutes. You can drop down to Buford Hwy and take it to either Piedmont or until it ends at Spring. Buford Hwy can back up at the ramp to 85 but it's not too bad. Going back in the evening would be worse, maybe more like 40 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta