Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 12:42 PM

22 posts, read 48,548 times

Advertisements

Okay, I'm getting down to the last few weeks before we have to decide on a place to live. My family of four is relocating from Michigan. Our price range is 200-250k. yes, I know that's not great for these areas, but it is what it is. Does anyone have input on which place of the above I should choose. My kids 1st and 5th graders will be in public schools. I want a town that doesn't make me feel like I am in a big city, but isn't too country. My husband will be commuting 3 or 4 days a week to Tucker and Doraville. He will suffer the insane traffic to keep us happy. I like what I hear of Suwanee. But don't know much about Buford or Dacula, and don't know if we can afford a cardboard box in East Cobb. We are willing to have less of a house in exchange for a great area. We'll be down soon to make the traffic drives and check out areas, but want to have it narrowed down to two cities. Thanks for all your helpful advice. Also, if anyone knows of great subdivisions that fall into good school clusters, let me know, as that is stressing me out as well. I want a swim/Tennis community. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 01:37 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcsigmon View Post
Okay, I'm getting down to the last few weeks before we have to decide on a place to live. My family of four is relocating from Michigan. Our price range is 200-250k. yes, I know that's not great for these areas, but it is what it is. Does anyone have input on which place of the above I should choose. My kids 1st and 5th graders will be in public schools. I want a town that doesn't make me feel like I am in a big city, but isn't too country. My husband will be commuting 3 or 4 days a week to Tucker and Doraville. He will suffer the insane traffic to keep us happy. I like what I hear of Suwanee. But don't know much about Buford or Dacula, and don't know if we can afford a cardboard box in East Cobb. We are willing to have less of a house in exchange for a great area. We'll be down soon to make the traffic drives and check out areas, but want to have it narrowed down to two cities. Thanks for all your helpful advice. Also, if anyone knows of great subdivisions that fall into good school clusters, let me know, as that is stressing me out as well. I want a swim/Tennis community. Thanks again!
I think I remember your previous thread and questions about Tucker.

Maybe Suwanee would be the better choice for your family. Buford is not too far away.

Here's a previous thread>>
Questions on Suwanee - Thanks for reading:)!

Old 10-13-2008, 03:24 PM

247 posts, read 1,290,326 times
Jefferson has great schools but you also have to keep in mind the taxes in each county. It is in Jackson County which I think the sales tax is 7% and the millage is 35.62 or something like that and their homestead exemption is only $2000. If you are concerned about your budget (which these days who isn't! Including me!!) Keep in mind how much everything is going to cost, not just the price of the house.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:40 PM

606 posts, read 2,005,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graywolf73 View Post
Jefferson has great schools but you also have to keep in mind the taxes in each county. It is in Jackson County which I think the sales tax is 7% and the millage is 35.62 or something like that and their homestead exemption is only $2000. If you are concerned about your budget (which these days who isn't! Including me!!) Keep in mind how much everything is going to cost, not just the price of the house.
I believe she said she wants to live in a place that's not too country. It seems to me like that would exclude Jackson County.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:37 PM

74 posts, read 173,668 times
You may want to look at Loganville or Grayson. This would be an easy commute down Hwy 78 to Tucker and you could go down Ronald Reagan Parkway to get to Doraville. Areas of Lawrenceville say Flowers Crossing subdivison would be about perfect for you. It lies in the middle of all these areas and is in your price range. It is an excellent Tennis /Swim community with great Gwinnett Co. schools.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:17 AM

22 posts, read 48,548 times
hmmm... how country is Jefferson?

Old 10-14-2008, 08:31 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcsigmon View Post
hmmm... how country is Jefferson?
City of Jefferson, Georgia

Old 10-14-2008, 12:42 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,590,742 times
We just moved to Dacula and I love it, love it! The schools are great and we are near Hamilton Mill. Everytthing, and I mean, EVERYTHING is nearby. I don't have to get on the interstate for anything, not even to go to Mall of GA.

Good luck!

Old 10-14-2008, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,399 times
Default Suwanee or east cobbb!!!

The drive from East Cobb to work for you husband would be a nightmare, but East Cobb definately has the best neighborhoods, schools and atmosphere for families today. My small business keeps me plugged in with schools, communities and families, and I spend my days, nights and weekends attending "family fun" events in all of those areas. As far as surface road and daily life traffic, East Cobb has the most convience to offer. On the flip side, my husband is a real estate agent, who only works with buyers, and right now, with the forclosure market the way it is, you could find a great home in the price range you are looking in any of those areas...even in East Cobb. We have fact are looking in the 250 range and there is quite a bit on out there. (His services are free by the way...) As far as Tucker and Dacula...they are both nice in areas, but my personal opinion is that they are so congested in the main areas, and good neighborhoods are few and far between. Interstates and surface streets are more congested also.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:22 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artpartyeastcobb View Post
The drive from East Cobb to work for you husband would be a nightmare, but East Cobb definately has the best neighborhoods, schools and atmosphere for families today.
East Cobb does seem to score fairly high in terms of snob factor.

Whether that is justified or not ... outside of the questionable realm of high school test scores ... is still unclear to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta