U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-15-2008, 06:29 PM
 
1,178 posts, read 3,379,463 times
Reputation: 401

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Winter is more than January. You can't pick the coldest few days and then claim it's "cold" when the avg high in March is 65.
This is only because of the latter half of the month. Haven't you ever heard, "In like a Lion, out like a Lamb"? During early March, average highs are in the mid to upper 50s, while by the end of the month, average highs are in the upper 60s to the low 70s. Hence, it averages out to about 65.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-15-2008, 07:39 PM
 
Location: East Cobb
2,206 posts, read 5,957,248 times
Reputation: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
However, high temperatures in the 60s within the months of January and February aren't all that common. On the other hand, neither are high temperatures in the 30s all that common. What's most common are high temperatures from roughly 45-55 degrees.
Right. Not cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
During early March, average highs are in the mid to upper 50s....
Again right, and not cold.

Really, I think we can all agree, it's all relative. If you're accustomed to Florida winters, then for sure, Atlanta winters are COLD. You actually need warm outer garments here. Brrr!

If you're from the northern US, let alone Canada (me), it seems CRAZY to call this cold. Typical highs of 45+ in January to mid-50s in March is not COLD. On the contrary, that's BALMY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2008, 07:53 PM
 
Location: West Metro Atlanta
606 posts, read 1,706,225 times
Reputation: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Right. Not cold.



Again right, and not cold.

Really, I think we can all agree, it's all relative. If you're accustomed to Florida winters, then for sure, Atlanta winters are COLD. You actually need warm outer garments here. Brrr!

If you're from the northern US, let alone Canada (me), it seems CRAZY to call this cold. Typical highs of 45+ in January to mid-50s in March is not COLD. On the contrary, that's BALMY!
So i guess when it's 45 degrees on a January afternoon with winds blowing 30mph and a wind chill of 25, you're wearing shorts ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2008, 08:48 PM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,844 posts, read 14,541,427 times
Reputation: 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
So i guess when it's 45 degrees on a January afternoon with winds blowing 30mph and a wind chill of 25, you're wearing shorts ?
Matt, I have to ask...why are you on this crusade to make some point that Atlanta is "cold"? I'm at a loss for your motive. You are ignoring facts while cherry picking one-off items and extrapolating to try to prove your point.

The FACT is that relative to other areas of the United States, Atlanta has a mild winter. Just like every other place, there are extremes, records, and abnormal events. You want to pull the one or two days a year that the high temperature is in the 30's and ignore the majority of days when the winter high temperature is above 50, and the fact the winter days in late Feb and March usually have temperatures above 60.

Winter does include all of February and most of March. You can't ignore it because it refutes your opinion. While lows at night can get cold for a short stretch in January, they are relatively mild by US standards, and in Feb and March the temps can be in the high 30's and 40's at night...definitely not cold.

Sorry you'd rather live in a place with a "cold" winter, but I can tell you that it's not all it's cracked up to be. That's part of the reason I moved to Atlanta (I've lived here for 11+ years and have seen that many winters here...10 years in the 1980s and 1+ years recently), and part of the reason many people move here. It's not Hawaii or Florida or Arizona...but the winters are WARM by US standards overall, where a large part of the country has freezing or below temperatures all winter long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2008, 08:52 PM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,844 posts, read 14,541,427 times
Reputation: 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
During early March, average highs are in the mid to upper 50s, while by the end of the month, average highs are in the upper 60s to the low 70s. Hence, it averages out to about 65.
Untrue...early March temps average around 60, with days in the high 60's and 70's. Look up the actual temps for this last March.

In fact, the average temp on 3/1 is 61 degrees, and on 3/31 it's 68. Monthly average is 65. FACT.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/trave...rom=vac_monavg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2008, 10:07 PM
 
1,178 posts, read 3,379,463 times
Reputation: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Untrue...early March temps average around 60, with days in the high 60's and 70's. Look up the actual temps for this last March.

In fact, the average temp on 3/1 is 61 degrees, and on 3/31 it's 68. Monthly average is 65. FACT.

Daily Weather Averages and Records for Atlanta, GA
I wasn't contesting the average temperature. In fact, I agreed with you, given the warm end of March, which is part of Spring.

I think we can agree that the past few winters have been warmer than average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2008, 11:20 PM
 
Location: West Metro Atlanta
606 posts, read 1,706,225 times
Reputation: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Untrue...early March temps average around 60, with days in the high 60's and 70's. Look up the actual temps for this last March.

In fact, the average temp on 3/1 is 61 degrees, and on 3/31 it's 68. Monthly average is 65. FACT.

Daily Weather Averages and Records for Atlanta, GA
Early March temps average around 60 with days in the high 60s and 70s ? If the average is 60, the days would mostly be in the 50s and low 60s. Last March the high on March 30 was 50 and the high on March 31 was 56. Really, it's stupid to go by averages because how often is it actually average ? It seems like usually it's either 10 degrees above normal or 10 degrees below and it all averages out in the end. March tends to have a wide variety of weather. There will be some days when it's in the 70s, many days in the 50s, and occasionally it wont even get out of the 40s. In March, one day will be 75, the next day will be 50. Some of our craziest weather has occurred in March, ranging from a blizzard to tornadoes to extremely heavy rain. It even snowed in April 2007, so it can get quite cold even in April. Although April tends to be pretty mild, there are even days in April when it struggles to get above 50, especially when we have the "wedge".

Last edited by matt8325; 10-15-2008 at 11:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2008, 01:04 PM
 
Location: ITP
2,133 posts, read 5,502,069 times
Reputation: 1333
First of all, where are you from, Matt?

Second of all, Atlanta has a humid subtropical climate--which means shorter and more mild winters. Typically the weather patterns here during the winter are somewhat sporadic. What happens is that you'll get an Arctic front that comes through one day and knocks the nightime temps down to the upper teens/low 20s and the daytime highs down to the 30s and 40s. However, over the course of a few days, a warming trend occurs and daytime temps rebound to the 50s and 60s with nightime temps in the 30s and 40s. After a few days of warm weather, another Arctic blasts comes through the region. This pattern occurs with higher frequency over a 6 week period between the end of December and the first half of February.

Usually but not always, we get the coldest weather towards the end of January/beginning of February when the daytime highs may not get above freezing and the chance of snow or ice is a lot higher. However, towards the middle of February, the warm spells are warmer and last longer with the first signs of spring arriving at the end of the month.

To even add more to our confusing winter, we usually get a week or two of "Indian Summer" type weather in December of Januaray where the daytime highs are in the upper 60s/low 70s with very mild evening temperatures as well. I can recall last December when we had a week of weather in the mid 70s.

The key to dressing for winter in Atlanta is to dress in layers because it can be absolutely cold in the morning and then all of a sudden it's 55+ degrees and sunny. By 6pm, temps will start to fall back into the 30s. Often I leave for work in the morning wearing a coat, go out to lunch without a coat, and leave work with a coat again.

In short, I think Atlanta winters get just cold enough for me to anticipate spring, but not as cold to the point that I'd get cabin fever. You're never really more than one week away from 60 degree weather during the winter here. I'm sorry if I sound confusing, but then again, winter here is confusing, but still very enjoyable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2008, 01:12 PM
 
Location: ITP
2,133 posts, read 5,502,069 times
Reputation: 1333
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
Early March temps average around 60 with days in the high 60s and 70s ? If the average is 60, the days would mostly be in the 50s and low 60s. Last March the high on March 30 was 50 and the high on March 31 was 56. Really, it's stupid to go by averages because how often is it actually average ? It seems like usually it's either 10 degrees above normal or 10 degrees below and it all averages out in the end. March tends to have a wide variety of weather. There will be some days when it's in the 70s, many days in the 50s, and occasionally it wont even get out of the 40s. In March, one day will be 75, the next day will be 50. Some of our craziest weather has occurred in March, ranging from a blizzard to tornadoes to extremely heavy rain. It even snowed in April 2007, so it can get quite cold even in April. Although April tends to be pretty mild, there are even days in April when it struggles to get above 50, especially when we have the "wedge".
During March and April, there are typically about three cold fronts that come through the area and knock daytime temps down to the 50s--with Blackberry Winter being the most notorious. Blackberry winter usually occurs during the second week of April when a cold front comes through and knocks the daytime temps down from the 70s to the low 50s. This usually lasts a week and afterwards it's back to 70 degree weather.

It's very rare that we get snow in March or April. If it ever happens, it's usually due to an unsually strong Noreaster that has hit the entire eastern seaboard from Maine to Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2008, 01:28 PM
 
6 posts, read 12,930 times
Reputation: 10
cold weather starts around the end of November towards december

sometimes it rains and gets alittle windy

gets around 30 below a nights and during the day between 40 to 50 degrees
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top