Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 09:16 PM

5 posts, read 21,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pos1t1vePats1e View Post
I am about to move to Atlanta. While I was at work today I was googling atlanta and saw this website:

[URL="http://www.governing.com/articles/0807atlanta.htm"]Governing: Atlanta/July 2008[/URL]

I read through the first section. Please tell me that people of Atlanta is doing something to combat this loss of diversity.

i want to move to a city that values progress, and that wants to preserve its MLK history.

this website has almost made me reconsider moving to atl. i am in the process of writing the mayor of the city to express my concern (i unerstand that she is african american - correct?). atlanta needs to stay the symbol of black power. I dont want my 4 beautiful children to grow up in a backwards and un-diverse city!

Patsie
Wow we have a lot in common I have 4 kids too and I am also planing to move to ATL. I have been out there twice and I loved it. I want my children to be able to witness our culture as progressive people trying to live. However many people may be moving because of the economy. I know that the cost of living is cheaper but if you do not have a good job you will work hard for low wages. Good luck with your move and I think thats great that you are writing the mayor. Im from Cali and I have sent letters to our governor on specific issues that bother me... there is power in numbers and people who speak out.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:16 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,641,799 times
This is MLK's city not X's so we don't need to throw around phrases like "black power". To me the OP is everywhere because they're asking for a progressive and diverse city that's also a symbol of black power. MLK will always be part of Atlanta (and remembered) but in the mean time why don't we do better to make his 'Dream' an everyday occurence meaning befriend more than one race of people.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:24 PM

5 posts, read 21,834 times
True MLK did want us to be treated equally. I think that Patsie may be referring to the fact that ATlanta is always mentioned as the state where African Americans or black people are progressing in a positive manor despite the fact that the wages are lower than other states. Where I am from blacks, mostly males prefer to sell drugs,hustle a woman or whatever instead of workin a 9to5. When I went to Atl I was glad to see the blacks working young and old from Mcdonalds to the court house. Just the fact that MLK and other respected African Americans have been there the historic sites and schools is exciting.We have came along way and MLK would be glad to see his dream come true and nothing is ever perfect but GOD

Old 10-20-2008, 10:38 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
A truly progressive population would welcome new residents of ANY race, especially with the knowledge that Atlanta has been bleeding residents for many years until recently. Now, the city is growing and looking better than I've ever seen it. Why would it matter what color skin is causing it? People move and relocate on their own free will, and it's just very positive that free will is bringing residents into the city rather than further swelling the suburbs.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:53 AM

360 posts, read 1,010,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
Atlanta is 61% black. If that's not black enough for you and want to live in a city that is literally 100% black than maybe you should move to Darfur.
I share your general sentiment. I'm perplexed by an African American who is reluctant to move to a majority black city because it's not black enough.

However, your vile way of putting it with such a snide comment about Darfur probably explains why this person would like it blacker still.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:02 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
black power (exclusivity) and diversity (inclusivity) don't go very well together.
when we stop saying us vs them, and start saying we
it will get better.
i have a dream.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:11 AM

360 posts, read 1,010,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
black power (exclusivity) and diversity (inclusivity) don't go very well together.
when we stop saying us vs them, and start saying we
it will get better.
i have a dream.
Maybe when the Cardassians travel back in time through the wormhole and invade Earth for a 200-year occupation and strip us of our remaining natural resources and make us buy cheap products at inflated prices from the Ferengi, THEN we'll realize all us Terrans had more in common than we thought!

Old 10-21-2008, 04:59 PM

247 posts, read 1,289,870 times
atlanta needs to stay the symbol of black power. I dont want my 4 beautiful children to grow up in a backwards and un-diverse city!

Patsie

WOW that is the most blantantly rude statement I have ever read in this forum! So, what you're trying to say is that any city that is not 100% black is "backwards" Are you kidding me???????????? I can't believe the amount of discrimination you have towards any race that is not your own. Do you raise your "4 beautiful children" to hate every other race? Are white people the problem? How about Hispanic? How are you feeling about Asians? OMG, what if the people moving to Atlanta are.......gay?!?!?!?!?

You must be a troll who needs a little nosh, so here's my little scrap of food for you: PLEASE don't move to Atlanta. The last thing this great city needs is a backwards hater like you.

Last edited by graywolf73; 10-21-2008 at 06:32 PM..

Old 10-21-2008, 06:18 PM

207 posts, read 939,915 times
This is why I left Atlanta.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:24 PM
VJP

721 posts, read 1,727,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckysnap View Post
This is why I left Atlanta.
"This" is not a common perception of the residents of this city. Thank you and drive on through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta