Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 02:09 PM

513 posts, read 1,625,693 times

Advertisements

When I lived in Smyrna 10 years ago there was a charity group who would come by to pick up donated items. Are there still any groups like this (near Decatur)? I have a mattress I'd like to donate if they take them in not quite perfect condition. Was thinking of throwing it out, but the time it takes to pick up big trash items could be 5-7 days. Don't think my subdivision would like a mattress sitting by the street for that long.

Donating it would be preferable anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 02:17 PM

214 posts, read 913,065 times
Salvation Army or Kidney Foundation....i think.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:37 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,602,826 times
I think most charities don't take mattresses.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:38 PM

750 posts, read 2,269,262 times
I don’t think charities will take mattresses anymore (if they ever did). I tried to give one of mine to Goodwill a few years ago and they wouldn't except it. They said it could have harmful bacteria on it. So you may want to just toss it.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:45 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,396,842 times
If you live in DeKalb, near Decatur, you may have to contact the Sanitation Department and arrange for a special pickup. I'm certain this type of FYI is available on a website.

We've been trying to donate some larger items and its not as easy as it might seem.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:49 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,866,392 times
Oh, but there's an excellent charity for donating furniture items!

The Furniture Bank of Metro Atlanta : Making a House a Home

They come and pick up the stuff. We donated some beds and other things a few years ago. I researched at the time and this seemed a very highly reputed organization.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:59 PM

750 posts, read 2,269,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Oh, but there's an excellent charity for donating furniture items!

The Furniture Bank of Metro Atlanta : Making a House a Home

They come and pick up the stuff. We donated some beds and other things a few years ago. I researched at the time and this seemed a very highly reputed organization.

Hey very cool it says they will take mattresses. That's helpful I hated to throw mine out (it was fairly new) when I did but I didn't need it or have room to store it. And you usually have to drop them off at a dump or someplace like that, the garbage men won't take them.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:02 PM

513 posts, read 1,625,693 times
Thanks RainyRainyDay. I'll contact them to see what they say. TakeAHike, yeah, I called Sanitation to start the process of having them come pick up the mattress set, but I was told it could take 5-7 days before they'd come get it. I'm not talking about them knocking on my door and I bring it out, but I'd have to leave it sitting by my mailbox in front of my house for possibly that long. Even for 2 days I'm not sure I'd want to leave that sitting out front (annoying the neighbors). I was told I could bring it to the landfill, but I don't have a car big enough to do that. Oh, heck... might just try and tie it to the top of my car and drive over there.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:08 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,396,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantamoi View Post
Thanks RainyRainyDay. I'll contact them to see what they say. TakeAHike, yeah, I called Sanitation to start the process of having them come pick up the mattress set, but I was told it could take 5-7 days before they'd come get it. I'm not talking about them knocking on my door and I bring it out, but I'd have to leave it sitting by my mailbox in front of my house for possibly that long. Even for 2 days I'm not sure I'd want to leave that sitting out front (annoying the neighbors). I was told I could bring it to the landfill, but I don't have a car big enough to do that. Oh, heck... might just try and tie it to the top of my car and drive over there.
I know the feeling well. When you finally clean up you just want want to be 'Finished'.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:10 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,866,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantamoi View Post
If the mattress set is in decent shape, certainly having a go at giving it to the furniture bank seems much better all round than disposing of it. It's even a tax deduction. Giving furniture to people who are taking their first steps out of homelessness seems cool. If a person has been sleeping on the street, a second-hand bed must seem pretty darned appealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: