Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 06:06 AM

27 posts, read 92,673 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the South Atlanta area. DH will be working at the airport and I am a high school teacher. What are the good/safe high schools in the south Atlanta area? Where we live will depend on where I get a teaching job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 06:09 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,606,700 times
Will your DH literally be working at the airport? If so, MARTA goes there and that should open a wide variety of locations to you?

What do you teach? I am sure you are aware that most systems have hiring freezes and far few teachers left the field last year because of the economy. You won't be able to be very picky unless you teach math, science or perhaps special ed.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:23 AM

Thankfully I am certified in science so I'm not too worried about getting a position I do want to be a little picky as to the school I go to. A lifelong friend of mine lives in Fayetteville and works in PTC so I am applying to Fayette county. And yes, DH will be working at the airport.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:32 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,606,700 times
Fayette County has good schools If you have a contact there, start there.

Metro Atlanta isn't growing as much as it was and as I said almost every school system reported less attrition last year then previous years.

I am concerned that the state legislature will increase class sizes across the board to try to balance the budget, which will result in less demand for teachers except you are in a critical field, so again you should be fine.

When do you plan to move?

Old 10-25-2008, 06:44 AM

I won't be moving until school is out in June. We are set to sell our house this week... so that's one big load off my mind!

Old 10-25-2008, 08:59 AM

16,628 posts, read 29,302,384 times
Default South Metro Atlanta High Schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7purple View Post
We are moving to the South Atlanta area. DH will be working at the airport and I am a high school teacher. What are the good/safe high schools in the south Atlanta area? Where we live will depend on where I get a teaching job.
High Schools to look into south of the Airport (considering your criteria):

Fayette County High Schools (www.fcboe.org):
-McIntosh
-Sandy Creek (+)
-Whitewater
-Fayette County
-Starr's Mill

Coweta County High Schools (www.coweta.k12.ga.us):
-Newnan (+)
-East Coweta (+)
-Northgate (+)

Henry County High Schools (www.henry.k12.ga.us):
-Union Grove
-Stockbridge
-Ola
-Dutchtown
-Eagle's Landing
-Henry County
-Luella
-Woodland

Spalding County High Schools (www.spalding.k12.ga.us):
-Spalding (+)
-Griffin (+)

*All of the aforementioned high schools are in South Metro Atlanta and they meet your criteria for good/safe. I recommend applying to all of the systems in order to give yourself more options. I think it's great the way y'all are going about this! Once you secure your job, you will have many nice housing options on the southside (with easy access to DH's job at the airport!).

*My personal favorites are marked by "(+)".

*They are also opening a brand-new high school in south Fulton County in August 2009 (Fulton County Schools...check out these links- Fulton County Schools - Operational Planning - South Fulton HS Redistricting (http://www.fultonschools.org/redistricting/sfhs.htm - broken link), www.fulton.k12.ga.us). It's always a great opportunity to start at a new school. The school does not have a name yet and it should be relatively good/safe (and it's on the southside, close to the airport).

I hope this helps. Good Luck!

Old 10-25-2008, 09:34 PM

Sorry, I'm just getting back (spent the day moving out of our house) Thanks so much for all the great info! I'm glad you mentioned the new HS too. I had thought about emailing/writing the principal for the new high school in S.Fulton county, but I wasn't sure how the school was going to be...

Old 10-25-2008, 10:23 PM

421 posts, read 1,720,399 times
Quote:
What are the good/safe high schools in the south Atlanta area?
I am not sure that what you want exists. An oxymoron perhaps
Why not North Atlanta, North Fulton or East Cobb?

Old 10-26-2008, 12:22 AM

16,628 posts, read 29,302,384 times
Quote:
Sorry, I'm just getting back (spent the day moving out of our house) Thanks so much for all the great info! I'm glad you mentioned the new HS too. I had thought about emailing/writing the principal for the new high school in S.Fulton county, but I wasn't sure how the school was going to be...
Look around the the Fulton County website (www.fulton.k12.ga.us) for possible sources about getting a job at the new school. They may have already designated a principal for the new school...

Old 10-26-2008, 11:38 AM

235 posts, read 835,080 times
Quote:
I am not sure that what you want exists. An oxymoron perhaps
Why not North Atlanta, North Fulton or East Cobb?
If you notice, the person said her husband will work at the airport. And as already stated, most of the schools in Fayette county have a good reputation.

I do think the MARTA suggestion might be a good one if they want to consider the norths die.

I would also go to the school thread here and look at school rankings at Great Schools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta