U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2007, 12:31 PM

11 posts, read 47,739 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I am graduating in April with my BA in Political Science and looking to teach/coach high school. If you could tell me:
What are the best places to live in Georgia? I like diversity, culture and a great social life. I would like to be close to things so that I did not have to drive 45 minutes to get to the store. I want somewhere it is gay/lesbian friendly, can experience seasons, and have a great school system. I would like to be somewhere it is safe, comfortable and friendly.
For schools I would like to be somehwere I know I will get the guidance and support as a first year teacher. How is the begining teacher pay? I was thinking about Atlanta, but would not rule out any surrounding cities or towns. Any and all advice is welcome and I really look forward to hearing your responses. Thank you so much for your time.

cmv1212
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 01:15 PM

3,972 posts, read 11,064,449 times
Do you have an education degree as well? Do you have a teaching certificate? It is necessary, in most public schools, to be a certified teacher. Private schoosl not so much.

Georgia takes NCLB more seriously than any other state in the country (in my opinion and I dont' think this is a positive thing). So they are big on the highly qualified thing.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:57 PM

699 posts, read 2,341,671 times
What is NCLB? National Certification? If so it is not a requirement to teach in GA. You can get hired on provisional certification fairly quickly, and that gives you a year to become certified. I know several people who have been hired this way...

Gay/lesbian friendliness is strongest in the city...Midtown and surrounding areas. Decatur is probably the friendliest suburb, and it's very urban as well and close to Atlanta (it's inside 285). Outer suburbs won't be unfriendly in most cases, but you won't find the numbers and the community like you would in Atlanta or Decatur.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:58 PM

1,025 posts, read 3,765,238 times
NCLB = "No Child Left Behind"

Old 02-22-2007, 11:00 PM

Oh, that hateful thing! Let's hope that it disappears in the next year or two, or is at least overhauled.

Old 02-24-2007, 06:51 AM

29 posts, read 198,611 times
I am currently a teacher in WI and we are relocating to Atlanta in summer 08. I have been doing a lot of homework on Atlanta and the school districts. Starting teacher pay is $40,100. If you are serious about moving you need to start looking into schools and checking out the districts. Also, are you certified?? You need to get a GA certification. Good Luck

Old 02-24-2007, 11:50 AM

563 posts, read 2,547,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
What is NCLB? National Certification? If so it is not a requirement to teach in GA. You can get hired on provisional certification fairly quickly, and that gives you a year to become certified. I know several people who have been hired this way...

Gay/lesbian friendliness is strongest in the city...Midtown and surrounding areas. Decatur is probably the friendliest suburb, and it's very urban as well and close to Atlanta (it's inside 285). Outer suburbs won't be unfriendly in most cases, but you won't find the numbers and the community like you would in Atlanta or Decatur.
NCLB is No Child Left Behind, which is what's currently driving education and the changes that have been taking place over the past 5-odd years.

In previous years it would have been no problem to be hired on a provisional cert., but starting this school year, if you are provisionally certified in Special Ed, Math, Science, and Foreign Language, some districts will only consider you on an as-needed basis. So in other words, if they can't find a certified teacher to fill those spots...THEN you're in the running. And that's not for all districts...some are only taking highly qualified, certified individuals. This is a federal requirement.

Visit www.nclb.org for more information.

Old 02-24-2007, 01:45 PM

What do they consider highly qualified individuals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or