Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 01:10 PM

4 posts, read 8,338 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'd just like to say hey to everyone here in Atlanta. This is my first time on this board, and I really like the idea of a site like this. I am posting because of the ridiculous amount of car break-ins that have been occurring in and around my neighborhood, Va Highlands. Last night my car finally got broken into, along with at least four others on my block. While I was talking to the cop he told me that last week there were fifteen on the same street in Candler Park in one night!! Last month it was my neighbor's car, and others on my street. A few months before that it was my other neighbor as well others. I mean, this is obviously problem, the people doing this are having a free for all!

I'd like to y'all to give me your thoughts and suggestions as to dealing with this ongoing problem.......thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 01:32 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,290,449 times
Leave nothing in your car for thieves to take.

That's all you can do.

What kinds of things have people been leaving in their cars to make this such a gold mine for the thieves?

Old 11-06-2008, 01:51 PM

750 posts, read 2,276,167 times
Some things you can't take out such as car radios, in dash or in seat tv's, dvd players, items such as those. Gps devices I would think would be a gold mine for thieves. Sorry to hear that happen to you Willdoit.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:32 PM

4 posts, read 8,338 times
I left all my electronic stuff in there as well as a jacket which they did not get. Forget the the CD player, the window, the bent A-pillar and the scratches are things that really cost a good bit to fix.

I just think there should be more of a law enforcement effort towards this problem because these crimes are committed by ghetto pieces of **** coming into a TAX PAYER neighborhood and stomping on our peace and safety.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:12 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,680,443 times
Welcome to downtown living

Better your car than your house or life.

When I was at Tech, we had multiple car break ins, apartment broken into twice, I got carjacked in Buckhead, buddy had his car stolen.

Guy at work home broken into 3 times in 6 months near Grant Park, his friend's home broken into 4 times in 3 months.

You'll hear plenty of people claim it's not that bad, but my wife and I decided to move back out to the burbs after graduation. I work at peachtree/international blvd downtown, and she works at piedmont/peachtree in Buckhead. We're happy to make the commute everyday.

Yeah, the suburbs aren't the safest either, but we've yet to been victimized or know someone personally since we moved back out.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:23 PM

235 posts, read 838,209 times
Car break-ins are so common in downtown. It has happened to me even with not having much of anything of value in the car (on 2 occasions) and then one time some bafoon syphoned my entire tank of gas while gas was in the 1.50 range per gallon. Having gas stolen was cheaper than replacing a broken out window. On a weekly basis, I see the fresh broken out glass in chards on the street where cars were broken into overnight. I know of some co-workers who have had their cars stolen while at work. Crime downtown is very rampant and quite high.

Last edited by mmenomen; 11-06-2008 at 06:41 PM..

Old 11-06-2008, 06:25 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Wow, I've lived in the city for 18 years and never had my car broken into...so I guess I wouldn't think it's much of a problem. It all depends on persepective. Maybe I've just been lucky or you've been unlucky, but I have always tried to park where I felt it was relatively safe to leave my vehicle. I used to park in some shady places and go to clubs a lot...one time I even left my window down accidentally and thought the window was gone/broken out when I came back. Some people have good experiences with such things, some people have bad experiences. If there were 8 cars broken into on your street that night, there were 50 that weren't? That's one way to look it.

I would say try to arrange something so that you aren't parking on the street...I know it's not always possible, but parking in a driveway or behind your house or apartment makes a BIG difference, and parking in a garage makes a HUGE difference. As far as police protection, you can't really blame them...there is no way for police to be on every street at all times - and there are much more serious crimes than car break-ins.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:26 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmenomen View Post
Car break-ins are so common in downtown. It has happened to me even with not having much of anything of value in the car (on 2 occasions) and then one time some bafoon syphoned my entire tank of gas while gas was in the 1.50 range per gallon. On a weekly basis, I see the fresh broken out glass in chards on the street where cars were broken into overnight. I know of some co-workers who have had their cars stolen while at work. Crime downtown is very rampant and quite high.
Where do cars park on the street Downtown? I can't even think of any on-street parking...

Old 11-06-2008, 06:27 PM

245 posts, read 652,550 times
i don't think it really matters where you live -- take every single thing out. If i'm not parking in my garage, I take out everything no matter how many trips it takes or how much hassle it is. I don't care how nice the area is, either.

if you have a GPS or anything with a suction-mount, wipe that circle off the windshield too. Otherwise, it's a good bet to others you have something nice under the seat, in the console, or in the glove compartment.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:46 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,876,421 times
It's not limited to the inner city. I'm in West Cobb and a couple of months ago we had one night where 25 cars were broken into in Powder Springs. TWENTY-FIVE in one night. There have been numerous others before and some since.

Everyone's advice is sound. Leave NOTHING that can be seen. No laptops, iPods, and as they have said, GPS units (even remove the bracket from your glass for them when going in). Don't leave credit card bills/mail, spare keys to your home, or garage door clickers inside as well.

Leaving a live Rattlesnake on the seat works as a deterrent, but they're hell to get out in the mornings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta