U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 09:15 PM

305 posts, read 895,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
1 post huh? In that case, I'd say the Bankhead area b/t 285 and downtown. Most of the affluent live there.
Why is this unusual for a first post? I don't follow.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:28 PM

20,893 posts, read 32,901,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinwreck17 View Post
Why is this unusual for a first post? I don't follow.
I don't think our job is to judge...simply to give accurate information. The Bankhead Hwy comments are uncalled for.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:58 PM

9,190 posts, read 29,578,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernExplorer View Post
I am from New Orleans, and my wife is from Memphis. After we got married, we tried living in New Orleans. It was ok until Katrina hit, and it became too ghetto and distressed. We then moved to Memphis, and we just did not like being white minorities. We want to stay in the south, close to Memphis and NOLA but want a big city feel. Atlanta fits the bill.

We just want to be in an area with our own kind. We do not like the culture that is dominant in Memphis and NOLA:

So, as we look to move to Atlanta,
I'm going to assume that SouthernExplorer is legit and not trolling and this is their first post.

On that note, I do have to ask this: If you prefer a predominately White area, and you want to avoid I guess what could be termed as an area with a larger "ghetto" mentality than some others, then WHY did you try to stay in New Orleans? Then you moved to Memphis with your wife being from there and knowing what kind of city it is for better or worse? And now you're thinking about Atlanta as move number three?

Isn't this kind of like saying you really don't want to live around Mexicans, but you've picked El Paso, Browsville TX, and Las Cruces, NM as places to live? Or perhaps you don't like gay people but you've decided to move to West Hollywood or the Castro District?

In other words, and certainly not meaning to make you feel "Duh", but, if you don't want to feel like a minority and wish to avoid large lower-income urban black areas, why are you picking the cities in the U.S. that are known for having large areas of this exact thing to live in? It is for this reason, some people are probably thinking your post is insincere and simply put up to start "stuff".

The choices you should be looking at
:

Austin, Texas (good music scene and economy)
Dallas, Texas (good economy and similar to Atlanta with different mix of residents)
Nashville, TN (yes, it's white)
Louisville, KY (smaller but funky)
Portland, OR (you could not possibly get any whiter than this city)
Seattle, WA (if you can afford it and like rain, it's for you).

To name a few.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:26 PM

12,914 posts, read 19,792,997 times
Well, if the OP has jobs lined up here, why would you tell him he should be looking elsewhere? There are plenty of majority white areas to choose from. Roswell is certainly one, as in Alpharetta, John's Creek, Milton, East Cobb, etc.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:39 PM

2,047 posts, read 3,874,733 times
I was going to suggest Nashville as well Greg. Tennessee is the whitest southern state and that price point would guarantee an all-white area there. Oddly enough I would suggest Birmingham as well. Obviously there are a lot of blacks in Birmingham, but again that price should keep you in exclusively white areas.

In Atlanta you'll find black people at all price points, and even the 'whitest' areas are hardly all white. You would be hard-pressed as near as I can tell to find an exclusively white area in the metro area. I spend a good deal of time in both Roswell and Alpharetta and I would hardly call either of those places exclusively white. Might be the places I go (mainly shopping), but I see plenty of black people and Latinos. I suppose it's possible that they don't live there, but I doubt it.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:36 PM

9,086 posts, read 12,861,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernExplorer View Post
I am from New Orleans, and my wife is from Memphis. After we got married, we tried living in New Orleans. It was ok until Katrina hit, and it became too ghetto and distressed. We then moved to Memphis, and we just did not like being white minorities. We want to stay in the south, close to Memphis and NOLA but want a big city feel. Atlanta fits the bill.

We just want to be in an area with our own kind.
So, as we look to move to Atlanta, we want a majority white area. Ill be working in Midtown, and my wife is getting a job in Sandy Springs. Our price range is a maximum of $550,000. I do not mind a long commute. Thanks!
Unfortunately the culture in those cities are very ghetto and depressed.I say this as a black educated man that grew up in a family and friends network of southern black educated people.You have Ghetto people true,but if you are not in the lower classes(no matter what race)you will experience many minorities that are and have the same values that you do.The only problem I guess I have with your post is the assumption that unlike where you come from blacks have to fall in the categories in which you say you want no part of.As if the majority black pesople find this negative behavior acceptable anymore than you do.NO you do not HAVE to live in an ALL WHITE area to avoid this,at least not in Atlanta.Indeed I hope you find what will make you and your wife happy here but just like some of those displaced uneducated blacks in Nola and Memphis are not welcomed here,the same could be said for narrow minded ignorant people who chooe to make blanket stereotypical statements can stay where they are as well.I would never say "im moving to Atlanta because of all the redneck former family white plantation owners who are racist wanna be social climbers in Memphis and Nola,so where is a nice black neighborhood where i do not have to deal with those people again in Atlanta".I would more likely ask""Where the PEOPLE who share my hopes ,family values ,higher education and class in Atlanta."Unless what you are saying is you just wanna be around other white and thats okay.But don't act as if all blacks are just the scurge and of all civilized culture. No not racist..just ignorant

Last edited by MB2; 11-17-2008 at 01:48 PM..

Old 11-10-2008, 12:02 AM

12,906 posts, read 20,980,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Unfortunately the culture in those cities are very ghetto and depressed.I say this as a black educated man that grew up in a family and friends network of southern black educated people.You have Ghetto people true,but if you are not in the lower classes(no matter what race)you will experience many minorities that are and have the same values that you do.The only problem I guess I have with your post is the assumption that unlike where you come from blacks have to fall in the categories in which you say you want no part of.As if the majority black pesople find this negative behavior acceptable anymore than you do.NO you do not HAVE to live in an ALL WHITE area to avoid this,at least not in Atlanta.Indeed I hope you find what will make you and your wife happy here but just like some of those displaced uneducated blacks in Nola and Memphis are not welcomed here,the same could be said for narrow minded ignorant people who chooe to make blanket stereotypical statements can stay where they are as well.I would never say "im moving to Atlanta because of all the redneck former family white plantation owners who are racist wanna be social climbers in Memphis and Nola,so where is a nice black neighborhood where i do not have to deal with those people agin in Atlanta.I would more likely ask"where are the PEOPLE who share the values of hard work education and family commited folk that have goals and aspirations with class and culture.No not racist..just ignorant
Very good post...kudos to you for speaking up. It's amazing what's condoned on this forum.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:11 AM

9,086 posts, read 12,861,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Very good post...kudos to you for speaking up. It's amazing what's condoned on this forum.
Thank you .I'm amazed myself.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:22 AM

826 posts, read 2,733,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Unless what you are saying is you just wanna be around other white and thats okay.But don't act as if all blacks are just the scurge and of all civilized culture. No not racist..just ignorant
Thank you. I didn't have the energy to address the stereotypes.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:12 AM

2,047 posts, read 3,874,733 times
Personally I'm delighted to help these type people find that which they seek. Goodness knows I don't want them living anywhere near me or mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or