U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 10:28 AM

5 posts, read 21,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernExplorer View Post

Thanks so much for those who have responded. So far I have:
Roswell
Alpharetta
Johns Creek
Milton
Forsyth County
North of Forsyth County
East Cobb

Are there any other areas that are not on this list? Thanks so much.
I am very grateful for this list as well. Alpharetta was on my list, but now it's not. Please continue to post which areas people who think/feel like this are most likely to reside. I'd like to not be associated with them.

It's definitely made clear that the traits/behaviors he describes as undesirable are in NO way a "white" thing. Yet, he and I both know for a fact that all races/ethnicities have good AND bad people.

The bad can come in many forms spanning from harmless to evil, in which the mindset of the original poster is bad IMO and borders evil. Ooh, look, now I've said too much.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:33 AM

Default Oh NO he didn't

Did he just call people in rural areas White Trash?

Old 11-10-2008, 10:34 AM

481 posts, read 2,548,684 times
Quote:
Roswell
Alpharetta
Johns Creek
Milton
Forsyth County
North of Forsyth County
East Cobb

Well first of all just so you know Atlanta is not exactly comparable to most other southern cities, there are a lot of wealthy minorities, and metro Atlanta in general is wealthier overall than places like New Orleans or Memphis, especially on the north side (all of those places are on the north side). Also, Atlanta is diverse, even on the wealthy, desirable north side of the metro area there is no city that has higher than 75% white population, usually closer to 60% or so, though in Atlanta the minority population is pretty evenly divided among Asians, blacks, and hispanics (Asians tend to be the largest minority in the wealthy areas you are looking at).

Since you are new I'll give you a quick break down of the metro Atlanta area:

Atlanta city limits: Atlanta city limits are very small and only 10% of the metro Atlanta population lives within city limits. Depending on where you are, Atlanta city limits contains both the poorest and richest parts of metro Atlanta. North of Midtown Atlanta is the area called Buckhead. It is the wealthiest area in Atlanta and one of the top 10 wealthiest places in the country. Think historic mansion estates. Buckhead is located directly between Midtown and Sandy Springs so as far as commute goes it's perfect for your family; your budget will get you a house in the area, but be aware that a $500,000 house in Buckhead is on the lowest end of the spectrum. Buckhead has its own urban "downtown" area with skyscrapers and residential condo towers if you are into those types of homes.

Southern suburbs: Directly south of Atlanta city limits are poorer, majority black suburbs like Clayton County and Forest Park. You would not be comfortable here. However, farther south is Fayette County and Peachtree City which are upper-middle class suburbs with good schools. This area is like 90% white and it's pretty much the only higher income area in metro Atlanta with such a high white percentage. However it's kind of "out in the middle of nowhere" by Atlanta standards (everything here is on the north side).

Western suburbs: Basically Douglas County, it's the least developed of the suburban areas, I'd compare this area to a lot of Alabama, very southern area but it's becoming more popular and modern.

Eastern suburbs: Very diverse area. Immediate east of Atlanta is Dekalb County... south Dekalb is very black, you wouldn't like it. In the middle is the city of Decatur, diverse, progressive, liberal area. North Dekalb is wealthy, more whites. Dunwoody is the northernmost part of Dekalb County I'll talk about that later. Farther East is the Snellville area of Gwinnett County, typical nicer suburban area, mostly white but decent amount of Asians, blacks, and hispanics.

The vast majority of Atlantans live in the northern suburbs, which can be broken into three areas:

Northwest Suburbs (follow I-75 N): Cobb County (except East Cobb) and includes places like Marietta, Kennesaw, Smyrna, West Cobb.... South Cobb County has a lot of blacks, but a lot of whites are moving into this area since it's kind of a hot market in places. It's very diverse and you can find cheap housing or big new mansions. West Cobb is typical suburbia, north Cobb is too but it's a little poorer, the cities of Marietta and Kennesaw are typical southern towns morphed into suburbs. White percentage in Cobb County is typically around 60% though it can go higher or lower depending on where you are.

Northeast Suburbs (follow I-85 N): Gwinnett County. Gwinnett County is a huge diverse sprawling suburb. Blacks, hispanics, Asians, whites, they are everywhere and somewhere in Gwinnett there is a place where all of these groups are a large presence. Places like Peachtree Corners, Duluth, and Suwanee have a lot of whites and are nice places, but it will be a bad commute to both Midtown and Sandy Springs.

North Suburbs (Follow GA-400 N): Honestly this is where you want to be. In between the "V" formed by I-75N and I-85N this where most of the upper middle class in Atlanta lives. About 400,000 population and avg. household is above $100,000 across the board. For reference this area is made up of East Cobb, Roswell, Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Alpharetta, Johns Creek, Milton, Duluth, Peachtree Corners, South Forsyth... (these places are in eastern Cobb County, northern Fulton and Dekalb Counties, western Gwinnett County, and southern Forsyth County). This area is basically 60% to 75% white, with Asians usually being the largest majority, but some areas have decent amounts of blacks and hispanics as well. For best commute to Sandy Springs and Midtown you want to be in the southern part of this area, which would be Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, and the southern parts of East Cobb.

Basically think of Sandy Springs as the center point. East of that is Dunwoody, west is East Cobb, and south is Atlanta (Buckhead first, then Midtown). So a house in Sandy Springs or Buckhead would be the best for commute. Southern Sandy Springs is basically just like Buckhead, even the rest of Sandy Springs is an expensive area, $500,000 will certainly get you a house but it's not going to be new or anything. Dunwoody is more affordable but it's still a very nice area. Southern East Cobb is a hot housing market because of the low taxes and excellent schools, new houses average $900,000 or so, but $500,000 will get you a great older home.

You can get more for your money in the farther north suburbs like Alpharetta and Johns Creek (these areas have excellent schools too) but the commute will be worse. Don't even bother with Cherokee or Forsyth Counties, they are very far from your work. These areas are extremely white, especially the farther north you go (like 90%+) but at the same time, the farther north you go the poorer it gets, as it becomes less suburban and more rednecky.

So basically for you I recommend Buckhead, Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, and the southern part of East Cobb (Walton High school district, anything more north is too far). With some looking you should find a nice house you can afford and you'll find that the commutes shouldn't be too bad.

Last edited by GF72; 11-10-2008 at 10:43 AM..

Old 11-10-2008, 10:35 AM

341 posts, read 1,199,338 times
Quote:
First off, I am sorry to offend anyone, but I refuse to sugar coat things just to be PC. That is the culture of those cities, like it or not. We just could not stand it anymore, and felt that we were surrounded by it and counldnt get away from it no matter what area we lived in (Metarie in NOLA, Midtown Memphis, then Germantown).

I feel that the only way I could get what I wanted was to come out and say it. If you cannot handle the truth, I am sorry, but it is not my problem.

Dallas was an option, but I could not find a job in my line of work.

Nashville, Charlotte, Austin and Louisville are both too far from New Orleans. We want to be driving distance no more than 7 1/2 hours away.

Of course we know there are blacks in Atlanta, and all over the South for that matter. We chose Atlanta because it is different than other provincial southern cities in that it is an international city, and figured the international population would bring its own culture so the hip-hop one was not the ONLY one. We also know that it is not the 1950's and woould not find any area in any American metropolitan area that is all white. Thats why I said MAJORITY white, not ALL white.

At the same time, it would not offend me if someone came on here and said they were looking for black areas and did not want to be around rednecks. In fact, people do it all the time and no one seems to bat an eye. There is a complete double standard and I refuse to play into it.

Roswell
Alpharetta
Johns Creek
Milton
Forsyth County
North of Forsyth County
East Cobb

I think you should just avoid the Atlanta Metro all together, even the above named areas you will still be around Blacks and a slight "ghetto element". This afterall is Atlanta, home of the "middle class gangster" and the kids in those suburban areas sometimes try to act like there from the inner city. Black people here have alot more money than blacks in Memphis and New Orleans, so there really isnt an all white area here in Atlanta you could run to regardless of how much money you have or dont have, long story short, wherever you go here there are going to be Blacks, and with that will come some elements of what you dont like. It sounds to me like you have a problem with the Black Urban Youth Culture, not just the riff raff that the thugs bring, it sounds like all blacks as a whole!! With that said, you should not move to Atlanta for two reasons 1) this is the hip hop capital of the world, and regardless of whether or not you live in Downtown, Southwest ATL, or North Forsyth, you will be made aware of this fact on an almost daily basis in the cars people drive, style of dress, way people talk, ( and this is across the board for all races- black, latino, white)
2). I doubt you can tell the difference between a "thug" and a young person who is immersed in urban culture, with that said Atlanta has no all white areas, and you will come across some people whom you might deem to be a thug.

you know what, scratch it all, just dont move here!!!! There are enough backward thinking Red State necons here as it is, we dont need anymore!!!!!!!

Old 11-10-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GF72 View Post

Since you are new I'll give you a quick break down of the metro Atlanta area:

Old 11-10-2008, 10:51 AM

I see there are people that are telling you (the OP) to just not bother with Atlanta and others that are saying you'll be fine.. here's my take.

Atlanta is a huge place, especially compared to the places you've been talking about. You're right it is an international city, there are all types of cultures here. Atlanta is a hip-hop capital and there are plenty of places in metro Atlanta where that is the dominant lifestyle, but there are plenty of places where it's not. You have places like Buckhead, where's it's old-money, century old mansion estates in forested settings, you have places like residential Midtown where it's a haven for gays and liberals, you have just about everything in Gwinnett County: There's an entire multi-level shopping mall that has nothing but Indian stores, there are areas where it looks like you suddenly entered Asia or South America, but the point is, somewhere in Atlanta there's a place you'll fit in....

Old 11-10-2008, 10:54 AM

1,104 posts, read 1,122,310 times
Quote:
I am from New Orleans, and my wife is from Memphis. After we got married, we tried living in New Orleans. It was ok until Katrina hit, and it became too ghetto and distressed. We then moved to Memphis, and we just did not like being white minorities. We want to stay in the south, close to Memphis and NOLA but want a big city feel. Atlanta fits the bill.

We just want to be in an area with our own kind. We do not like the culture that is dominant in Memphis and NOLA: uneducated, cannot speak english, sense of enititlement and victimization, crime, children out of wedlock, fatherless, inappropriate clothing, and hip hop profanity. Of course not all of the people in the cities have these qualities, but we would rather not be around any of it.

So, as we look to move to Atlanta, we want a majority white area. Ill be working in Midtown, and my wife is getting a job in Sandy Springs. Our price range is a maximum of $550,000. I do not mind a long commute. Thanks!
ONLY 4 POST! 4 Post and you got all these people to bite. I didn't even read the post, just the title and the post count.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolyfett View Post
ONLY 4 POST! 4 Post and you got all these people to bite. I didn't even read the post, just the title and the post count.
Well this happens every time someone asks where the majority white areas are... this thread is NOT the first.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:17 AM

341 posts, read 1,199,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GF72 View Post
I see there are people that are telling you (the OP) to just not bother with Atlanta and others that are saying you'll be fine.. here's my take.

Atlanta is a huge place, especially compared to the places you've been talking about. You're right it is an international city, there are all types of cultures here. Atlanta is a hip-hop capital and there are plenty of places in metro Atlanta where that is the dominant lifestyle, but there are plenty of places where it's not. You have places like Buckhead, where's it's old-money, century old mansion estates in forested settings, you have places like residential Midtown where it's a haven for gays and liberals, you have just about everything in Gwinnett County: There's an entire multi-level shopping mall that has nothing but Indian stores, there are areas where it looks like you suddenly entered Asia or South America, but the point is, somewhere in Atlanta there's a place you'll fit in....

^^^^^
I think you are a bit off about Buckhead, there is a large contingent of old money in Buckhead but its all in the same area- the West Wesley/ Habersham Rd corridor, outside of that I would hardly call Buckhead old money. I doubt you live in Buckhead, because if you did you would realize that there are just as many new money transplants of all races in Buckhead as there are the old money types. Im born and bred in Atlanta and I grew up in Buckhead and I had freinds of all races and most of my friends parents were not even from Atlanta, just like mine who moved here from Chicago. To take it a step further most of the high rises in Buckhead are definitely not old money, my father just purchased a condo in the Buckhead Loop buidling and its anything but old white people in there!!!!! Aside from high rises like Park Place, the twin towers across the street from Park Place and a few other high rises in Buckhead, most of the condos in Buckhead are anything but old Atlanta money

Old 11-10-2008, 11:21 AM

2,047 posts, read 3,874,733 times
IMO, moving to Atlanta to avoid black people and hip-hop is like me moving to Utah to avoid whites and LDS. I agree that this is most likely a fishing expedition, but that's okay because it's quite amusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or