U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2008, 11:59 AM

2,047 posts, read 3,873,868 times

Advertisements

See, I'd hate for the OP to buy his nice home in Alpharetta or Dunwoody, then lose consciousness when he looks up and sees that all the young people there are into hip-hop and can recite the lyrics to the latest with more flow than any pj kid. Hey, I'm a humanitarian. (Oh, and btw I don't appreciate the person who recommended Dunwoody. Didn't you see my post about not wanting his kind around here? -lol-)

Old 11-10-2008, 12:04 PM

481 posts, read 2,548,146 times
I'm not sure it's "hip-hop" that the OP is worried about, but "ghetto." Unfortunately there are places where people associate hip hop culture with gangs and shootouts, and the OP, unlike us here in Atlanta, just hasn't been exposed to "civilized" hip-hop yet. Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions, but hopefully the OP will come to Atlanta and see that there is nothing wrong with hip-hop.

Anyway, for the OP, since I suggested Sandy Springs as the ideal place to be looking at, I'll put some stats about the city to help put it into perspective (from US Census Bureau, as of 2006):

Sandy Springs population - 97,898
White percentage - 76%
Owner-occupied housing - 58%
Renter-occupied housing - 42%
4-yr. college graduate percentage - 63% (USA percentage is 27% / Memphis is 21%)
Poverty percentage - 3% (USA percentage is 10% / Memphis is 19%)
Median age - 38 (USA median age is 36 / Memphis is 34)
Average household income [all] - $116,406 (USA average is $65,572 / Memphis $47,802)
Average household income [families] - $169,815 (USA average is $76,130 / Memphis $54,733)
Average household income [non-families] - $60,526 (USA average is $41,515 / Memphis $35,667)
Per capita income - $53,760 (USA per capita income is $25,267 / Memphis $19,252)
Percentage of households that are families - 50% (USA percentage is 67% / Memphis is 59%)
Percentage of households that are non-families - 50% (USA percentage is 33% / Memphis is 41%)

In your first post, you complain that you want to get away from crime, under-education, etc. As you can see from the Census info, here it is the complete opposite of Memphis (New Orleans stats are pretty much the same) in terms of education and poverty level, so you'll find what you're looking for in that sense. I think you'll also find that there are plenty of blacks (largest minority in Sandy Springs) and fans of hip-hop here as well, and hopefully you'll see that they are just as successful as the whites. Like everyone's saying, it's not about the hip-hop, it's just that those cities you are complaining about are just not nice places. Hip hop is everywhere in America, from the Detroit ghettos to the richest parts of west Los Angeles, even in the middle of Mississippi farmland, there's no escaping it.

Last edited by GF72; 11-10-2008 at 12:26 PM..

Old 11-10-2008, 12:12 PM

12,890 posts, read 20,969,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Are you kidding me? Have you priced that crap? You have to have money to buy it. Nobody has more discretionary income than well-to-do teens. It's definitely not for poor people. Hip-hop is the predominant culture, especially with young people. Not dressing or listening to hip-hop is considered ultra uncool. Hip-hop language, dress and mannerisms have been adopted by every socio-economic group in this country. I don't know of anywhere in this country or for that matter the world where hip-hop has not made its presence known.
Very good post! I'm always telling people...for those under 30...mainstream culture is hip-hop culture. Even one (among the young) listens/follows mainly country or "death metal", etc...they are still connected to hip-hop in some way...they understand it, live it, and appreciate it.

It isn't the early 90's anymore...

Old 11-10-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GF72 View Post
Well, the children of wealthy people, in fact the younger generation as a whole, tend to love hip-hop and they are influenced by it to varying extents.

However, you better believe there are plenty of wealthy people here that "dress like hip-hop culture" as you put it. Because in Atlanta you won't just find the hip-hop followers, you find the actual hip-hop celebrities. They live here. You will see rappers riding around in their limos, not just rappers but NFL and NBA stars, wealthy black people are all over Atlanta.
Yep, my best friend was in jury duty with Li'l Jon this very morning...

Old 11-10-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure it's "hip-hop" that the OP is worried about, but "ghetto." Unfortunately there are places where people associate hip hop culture with gangs and shootouts, and the OP, unlike us here in Atlanta, just hasn't been exposed to "civilized" hip-hop yet. Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions, but hopefully the OP will come to Atlanta and see that there is nothing wrong with hip-hop.
Very well said.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:58 PM

7,848 posts, read 17,801,972 times
My hometown is VERY white...90%...Clemmons, N.C. - a highly desirable suburb of Winston-Salem. Two other nearby W-S suburbs are even whiter...Lewisville, N.C at 93% white...and Bermuda Run, N.C. at 97% white.

I don't recall our neighbors or my high school friends being overtly racist, and I know of no individual efforts to discourage people of color from moving into the area. There were some black students at my high school, but that was in the days of busing...so most of them lived in another area and were bused into Clemmons in order to satisfy federal integration requirements. More recently though, Chris Paul (best point guard in the NBA) graduated from my old high school - and I believe his family lived in Clemmons.

Are there any homogeneous (or almost) communities or burbs around Atlanta similar to these in N.C.?

Old 11-10-2008, 01:21 PM

9,190 posts, read 29,570,003 times
Slowly, slowly, it's starting to slide into a slug-fest. So let's keep it on topic.

The poster wants suggestions on predominately White areas to live. Some understand that, some don't. It's an ALLOWED question, just as anyone who asks for a predominately Black, Asian, Jewish, (etc) area. Some folks don't like the way it was worded, some don't care, but it hasn't broken any rules.

So, if you have suggestions for the poster on places that fit the idea of what he thinks he wants (in or out of Atlanta), toss them in the pot. Let's stop the bigot/racist name calling and insinuations, the off-topic paths, etc etc. If they're legit, they'll have their questions answered (the purpose of these forums) and if they're trolling, we'll figure it out and poof - they won't be a problem anymore.

Thank you.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:58 PM

12,914 posts, read 19,782,209 times
Thank you Greg. I can't believe how the OP has been flamed for asking a legitimate question. And, those who say the Northern suburbs are full of the hip-hop culture are FULL of IT. Are there blacks? Yes, and they are welcome, because they are looking for the same quality of life whites are. Good schools, good restaurants, lots of parks, non-judgmental neighbors, and low crime. However, they are majority white, which is all the OP asked for to start with.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:07 PM

481 posts, read 2,548,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
My hometown is VERY white...90%...Clemmons, N.C. - a highly desirable suburb of Winston-Salem. Two other nearby W-S suburbs are even whiter...Lewisville, N.C at 93% white...and Bermuda Run, N.C. at 97% white.

I don't recall our neighbors or my high school friends being overtly racist, and I know of no individual efforts to discourage people of color from moving into the area. There were some black students at my high school, but that was in the days of busing...so most of them lived in another area and were bused into Clemmons in order to satisfy federal integration requirements. More recently though, Chris Paul (best point guard in the NBA) graduated from my old high school - and I believe his family lived in Clemmons.

Are there any homogeneous (or almost) communities or burbs around Atlanta similar to these in N.C.?
Short answer: No. The only places near Atlanta that break the 90% white mark are the very outer areas, which I would not consider Atlanta. Forsyth County is 90% white, but only the very bottom edge could be considered suburban Atlanta, and even that part is still like 30 or 40 miles from downtown. So no, there are no places in Atlanta that have that many white people, unless you go want to go microscopic and pic out little individual neighborhoods. However, there are places in Atlanta that are "homogeneous" - large portions of south Atlanta and the immediate southern suburbs have 95% and higher black percentage. But that's the only place you'll find one race with such a large majority.

But Atlanta as a whole I would not really compare with North Carolina yet. Atlanta is more cosmopolitan and international. For reference, according to the Census Bureau, Clemmons, NC has a population of 13,827 (90% white) and and median family income $70,029. Looking at this statistics, it seems like a small, local population, hence the high white percentage. Whereas over here in Atlanta, Fulton County, GA has a population of 960,009 (48% white) and median family income $75,957. Cobb County, GA has a population of 679,325 (63% white) and median family income $73,280. Here the "desirable suburbs" are a different type of place because it's a different level city and there's that huge non-local population. Even if you go all the way down to zip code level you're not going to get that same small scale. Take for example, zip code 30022 (a typical "desirable suburb"), 25 miles from downtown Atlanta, with a population of 66,688 (75% white) and avg. household income $132,096. 15% of residents were not even born in the US - as you can see, suburban Atlanta is not really comparable; Atlanta is more of a world city.

Last edited by GF72; 11-10-2008 at 02:15 PM..

Old 11-10-2008, 03:01 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,121,736 times
Quote:
Well this happens every time someone asks where the majority white areas are... this thread is NOT the first.
How long has the internet been around? How long have internet forums been around?

The right way to join a forum is to participate, give feedback on other topics, ask questions in other topics, basically participate....THEN you start your own topics once you get a feel for the forum. No one over just stumbles across a forum and starts a topic, when a normal blogger finds a forum they are interested in they participate first, feel it out. The OP is a troll, someone who has been on this forum for a while, and they like to irritate minorities. The MODs ain't snitching either. They could see IPs if they wanted to, common knowledge I don't respect or give truthful feedback to a dishonest poster. The rest of you shouldn't either. If it sound offensive check the post count people any thing like this..

Blacks are ghetto...
No gay marriages...
Whites are racist scum...
White chicks love black sticks...
Black chicks love white sticks...
I hate whites because...
I hate blacks because....
The stupid mexicans are taking over...
blah blah blah blah!!!!

CHECK THE DAMN POST COUNT, And stop making these people famous.

Peace & Love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or