U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-12-2008, 10:52 AM

12,827 posts, read 19,332,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanie55 View Post
Not really. It's very hard for me to give up living in a coastal city - it was always my dream that when I retired I'd go live by the ocean, which is what I did 4 years ago. But there is more to life than a beach. (She said, sighing....)
That seems to always be a tough one for transplanted Floridians...I moved here from Lighthouse Point a couple of decades ago, and it was hard for me, too. But you do adjust.
Lucky for me, I now have a part-time residence down on the GA coast...so I do get my regular fix.

Last edited by LovinDecatur; 11-12-2008 at 11:32 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 12:26 PM

77 posts, read 195,657 times
OK - I am now a bit confused. You've completely made your decision in 3 days, mostly based on the fact that you had a lot more people respond to your post here than in the Charleston board??

I totally agree with the other poster - you really owe it to yourself to at least look at both cities first. I would personally move to Charleston in a heartbeat if I could afford the housing I need (have children so I have to consider school district right now). I have visited there many times because my sister was in school there for 5 1/2 years, and I can say unquivocally that the people I met there were much more friendly and polite, with little to none of the big city, rush-rush mentality that is so prevalant in Atlanta. Plus, it's on so much smaller scale than Atlanta - when you go out to the store or walking downtown, you'll actually see people that you know.

I do agree that if you want to be associating with high society, it's not a place to move - you have to be born into it. But, the majority of people in Charleston aren't doing that anyway. They are Navy or ex-Navy, retirees, people with families in the outlying suburbs, young people working in the tourist industries, students, etc. I personally think it would be much easier in Charleston to meet like minded people for friendships.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:06 PM

522 posts, read 1,015,329 times
I really didn't make my decision in 3 days - more like 3 weeks. And it wasn't just the number of replies but the content of them. It just seemed to me the people were rude, narrow minded and not particularly intelligent. But your point is well taken. I DO think I should visit both cities because I don't want to make a major move and have it be a mistake. And I don't plan on being a part of high society - I don't have nearly enough money for that! When I say cosmopolitan I just mean people who are intelligent, educated and liberal vs. conservative. Thank you for your response.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:10 AM

1 posts, read 479 times
I have lived in both cities and I am a single 40 year old male.

Food -- They are both foodie towns -- Charleston fine dining stacks up against Atlanta any day. The variety is endless in Atlanta, but lets face it we all go back to our favorites; and even though it's a smaller town, Charleston is a tourist town and so it has a disproportionately larger number of restaurants given its size.

Activities -- Atlanta beats Charleston handily here. I lived in Inman Park (a great neighborhood for singles) when I lived in Atlanta, about 8 minutes from Braves games and downtown. Lots of festivals, shopping, comedy clubs, and every big show goes through town. HOWEVER, how many Braves games are you really going go to? How many concerts are really going to go to? The answer probably is not that many and you can always do a weekend trip there to do those activities. Plus, Charleston has the beach, still has lots of festivals, and shopping not terrible. Again, Atlanta better here, but it's not a blowout.

Dating -- As a single guy I loved the single scene in Atlanta, by far over Charleston. I promise you no matter who you are or what you prefer there are dozens of your soul mates walking about Atlanta right now as you read this. It's simply a huge city with lots of beautiful people.

Jobs -- for most Atlanta is probably better, but I am in the health care field so both cities are target rich. Traffic to your job in Atlanta, however, SUCKS.

Open space -- Atlanta lots of parks, but more concrete than you can imagine. Nothing beats Charleston here.

In the end, I started living in Charleston for 5 years, moved to Atlanta for 18 months where I RENTED, and then decided to go back to Charleston. For me, I really disliked the traffic and the concrete feel of Atlanta. I was really happy on Friday and Saturday nights in Atlanta with the night life, but then there was the 90% of the rest of the week where I wanted to be in Charleston. I am not much of a beach person, but I missed it when it wasn't around. Also in my case health care jobs pay more in SC than Georgia (but not Charleston proper -- however 40 minutes outside Charleston the pay really went over what Atlanta was paying and on the commute traffic was no where in sight).

80% of the people I have talked to in Atlanta about this issue would rather live in Charleston. Overall, Charleston is the better choice if you can find a job there.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:12 AM

10,981 posts, read 6,734,688 times
Geesh, this thread is five years old. I'm not sure what need there was to resurrect it.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:03 AM

3,490 posts, read 1,911,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charelstondreaming View Post
I have lived in both cities and I am a single 40 year old male.

Food -- They are both foodie towns -- Charleston fine dining stacks up against Atlanta any day. The variety is endless in Atlanta, but lets face it we all go back to our favorites; and even though it's a smaller town, Charleston is a tourist town and so it has a disproportionately larger number of restaurants given its size.

Activities -- Atlanta beats Charleston handily here. I lived in Inman Park (a great neighborhood for singles) when I lived in Atlanta, about 8 minutes from Braves games and downtown. Lots of festivals, shopping, comedy clubs, and every big show goes through town. HOWEVER, how many Braves games are you really going go to? How many concerts are really going to go to? The answer probably is not that many and you can always do a weekend trip there to do those activities. Plus, Charleston has the beach, still has lots of festivals, and shopping not terrible. Again, Atlanta better here, but it's not a blowout.

Dating -- As a single guy I loved the single scene in Atlanta, by far over Charleston. I promise you no matter who you are or what you prefer there are dozens of your soul mates walking about Atlanta right now as you read this. It's simply a huge city with lots of beautiful people.

Jobs -- for most Atlanta is probably better, but I am in the health care field so both cities are target rich. Traffic to your job in Atlanta, however, SUCKS.

Open space -- Atlanta lots of parks, but more concrete than you can imagine. Nothing beats Charleston here.

In the end, I started living in Charleston for 5 years, moved to Atlanta for 18 months where I RENTED, and then decided to go back to Charleston. For me, I really disliked the traffic and the concrete feel of Atlanta. I was really happy on Friday and Saturday nights in Atlanta with the night life, but then there was the 90% of the rest of the week where I wanted to be in Charleston. I am not much of a beach person, but I missed it when it wasn't around. Also in my case health care jobs pay more in SC than Georgia (but not Charleston proper -- however 40 minutes outside Charleston the pay really went over what Atlanta was paying and on the commute traffic was no where in sight).

80% of the people I have talked to in Atlanta about this issue would rather live in Charleston. Overall, Charleston is the better choice if you can find a job there.
The big difference between the two is Atlanta is an actual job and business center and Charleston is a small, historic tourist town that has a niche job market. In the end, you'll live where your job is at. Quite frankly, there are really no jobs in Charleston.

Charleston I heard is as nice, if not nicer than Savannah so it's definitely packs a punch harder then cities it's size. It' great for visiting, but living? Nah, I'll easily take a big metropolis anyday.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:18 AM

10,981 posts, read 6,734,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
The big difference between the two is Atlanta is an actual job and business center and Charleston is a small, historic tourist town that has a niche job market. In the end, you'll live where your job is at. Quite frankly, there are really no jobs in Charleston.
Not true whatsoever. It's a given that there are tourist/hospitality jobs. But beyond that, being the home of the Medical University of SC, there's a sizable medical/healthcare cluster in Charleston, along with the port (one of the East Coast's busiest), the aviation/aerospace cluster (of which Boeing is the crown jewel), defense contractors, higher ed, distribution, and a couple of tech companies (including a Google data center). While Charleston is obviously not Atlanta when it comes to its corporate base, its local economy is more well-rounded than most know or give it credit for.

It ranks also ranks pretty favorably in the most recent On Numbers Economic Index, coming in at #22 of the 102 metro areas ranked and ranking 21st for 5-year job growth: Database for On Numbers Economic Index (October 2013) - The Business Journals

Last edited by Mutiny77; 10-28-2013 at 03:27 AM..

Old 10-28-2013, 09:41 AM

461 posts, read 316,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Geesh, this thread is five years old. I'm not sure what need there was to resurrect it.
I hate when that happens! Especially when you have an opinion about the subject..

Old 10-28-2013, 01:08 PM

9,127 posts, read 21,517,192 times
Note: Posting dates/times are in the upper corners of the postings, so please get into the habit of looking at those before you reply, especially if you find a thread via "search". Otherwise you risk commenting on something that is up to several years old.

I'm leaving this one up in case there are others who may benefit from a Charleston / Atlanta comparision, but please do not specifically comment to the original poster - they would not still be monitoring this at this point.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:53 PM

1,023 posts, read 938,250 times
I never saw this thread the first time around and yes, 2008 is old. The person who replied is green to C-D. I am not a beach person, but I do adore Charleston and most of SC, and if I had $$, I would probably live there at least part-time but not to seek work. Charleston has a lot of limitations, but on occasion I do like to see comparisons. If I were the retiree type, Charleston area may be on my checklist to live near the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta