Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 09:38 PM

522 posts, read 1,603,255 times

Advertisements

As I've said on this forum before, I'm considering moving to either Charleston or Atlanta from south Florida. I have some specific concerns/questions:

1. Which town is better for a middle-aged single woman? From what I've read on Charleston forum it seems to be a town for young single people, older married people, and retirees.

2. The job market - I would think Atlanta would be better but is Charleston that bad? I'm a PR person and a writer so I would be looking to get something in the communications field. I took an early retirement from my job 4 years ago so I have a pension and don't need to make oodles of money. I could do retail for that matter.

3. Ease in getting around - Atlanta is big and from what I read traffic is horrible. I've read people tend not to go far from where they live there for that reason. Charleston has tons of bridges and I have a phobia about them but I THINK I can get over it at least enough to deal with it (with the help of a trained professional therapist -lol.

4. Interesting, open minded, friendly people - that's what I'm looking for. Which place am I most likely to find this?

Any comments anyone can give me are most appreciated! BTW I also posted this on the Charleston forum and have so far not received any responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 09:54 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,758,529 times
You could not possibly have two different cities than Atlanta and Charleston, so it's hard to answer this since let's face it, we don't know you and you're just text on a screen.

Atlanta: Traffic, Jobs, Crime, Diversity, Smog, Strong economy (overall), Rushed, Sprawled, Opportunities, New South, Growing, Landlocked, Business-oriented, tornadoes.

Charleston: Traffic from tourists, Fewer jobs, Clean air, Service-based "steady" economy, Laid back, Old South, Slower Growth, Ocean location, Less crime, Less diversity, Hurricanes.

So, do you want a wide variety of job opportunities in a city that even now still continues to grow, but at the expense of probably having a long commute in traffic, and potential issues with crime and air quality? Or would you prefer a more Old South laid back atmosphere where people actually WALK places, haven't sat for two hours to drive across their city, but, where you may also have to settle for a job you may not necessarily want because your field may not have lots of openenings there?

Personally, if I could swing it, I've leave Atlanta and live in Charleston in a heartbeat, but then I've lived here for nearly 25 years and Atlanta's starting to "gnaw" at me. There may well be plenty of people who have lived in Charleston for 20+ years who would jump to move HERE.

Best bet, though it's not doable for everyone? Go to Charleston and spend a week or more. Come here and spend a week or more. Try to make contacts with folks who can show you around both places. Get to see it, feel it, live it, etc. Pick one and RENT first, so you're not tied in "just in case". Go with your guts.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:58 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,715,779 times
Yeah, I couldn't think of one similarity between Charleston and Atlanta (other than the waterbugs). Honestly, why deal with the rat race if you can have a quaint city that offers a lot. I'm sure you could find some writing gigs (Charleston is a huge tourist destination so you could start with that) and have a really nice life in a gorgeous city by the water. If I didn't have young kids in school and activities, etc. I'd probably be there myself. That's the thing about Atlanta. You really shouldn't live here unless you have to...not sure if that comes out right but i hope you get what I mean. Just doesn't have that much of a draw, especially for someone who's single and isn't looking for a big house and good school system.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:00 PM

Thank you for your reply. Do I want long commutes and traffic? No. Do I want diversity and job opportunities? Yes. Do I love the ocean? Yes. Do I want conservative old south? Probably not. I'm starting to believe I'm very hard to please (LOL)! I think I should take your advice although I won't be able to afford to spend an entire week in both places. Thanks again.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:03 PM

Okay, I have a new option for you: Asheville, NC. Have you thought of it?

Old 11-10-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettea1 View Post
Yeah, I couldn't think of one similarity between Charleston and Atlanta (other than the waterbugs). Honestly, why deal with the rat race if you can have a quaint city that offers a lot. I'm sure you could find some writing gigs (Charleston is a huge tourist destination so you could start with that) and have a really nice life in a gorgeous city by the water. If I didn't have young kids in school and activities, etc. I'd probably be there myself. That's the thing about Atlanta. You really shouldn't live here unless you have to...not sure if that comes out right but i hope you get what I mean. Just doesn't have that much of a draw, especially for someone who's single and isn't looking for a big house and good school system.
Thanks again. Here's the deal. I have been on both the Charleston and Atlanta forums quite a bit lately and I've gotta say I get a much better vibe from the folks in Atlanta. They are more willing to help, much more tolerant of divergent opinions and frankly seem more intelligent. In some ways, in MANY ways, people make the place. I live in a beautiful area of south Florida but the people here quite honestly suck. They are rude, shallow, self-absorbed and so many of them are con artists looking to take you for your last dime. I'm a trusting person so this has not been the place for me! I really don't desire a rat race lifestyle but I do want to be in a place where people are friendly, intelligent, and interesting. I can sacrifice an ocean if I have to. So I guess what I'm saying is I think it really all comes down to the people for me. Thanks.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Okay, I have a new option for you: Asheville, NC. Have you thought of it?
I have heard Asheville is lovely but doesn't it get quite cold? I really can't go back to a lot of snow and ice again. I just said it all boils down to the people but I should clarify it has to be a fairly warm climate. Thanks.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:14 PM

Here are a few new suggestions based on your last post:
1. Roswell, GA
2. Virginia Highland, Atlanta
3. Decatur, GA
4. I'd still go check out Asheville. It also gets cold in Atlanta just so you know. Just a few degrees colder in Asheville but very, very, very cool town. Did I say very cool town?
I should add that the few people I know who are from Charleston all say the same thing: Small town mentality all 'round. You can make your own assumptions on what that means.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:23 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,758,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanie55 View Post
I have heard Asheville is lovely but doesn't it get quite cold? I really can't go back to a lot of snow and ice again. I just said it all boils down to the people but I should clarify it has to be a fairly warm climate. Thanks.
It gets cold and yes, they get snow. But you have to ask yourself this... do you prefer where you are now with warm temps all year and sun, but where people as you say, "suck", or would you be willing to put up with some snow where you really like where you live and get a long with the locals much better?

Old 11-10-2008, 10:27 PM

23,299 posts, read 43,744,365 times
Quote:
Here are a few new suggestions based on your last post:
1. Roswell, GA
2. Virginia Highland, Atlanta
3. Decatur, GA
4. I'd still go check out Asheville. It also gets cold in Atlanta just so you know. Just a few degrees colder in Asheville but very, very, very cool town. Did I say very cool town?
I should add that the few people I know who are from Charleston all say the same thing: Small town mentality all 'round. You can make your own assumptions on what that means.
Granted, Charleston has experienced some 'invasion' from outsiders over the last few years, but nothing like what Atlanta has. The adage I always heard was "you're born there, you live there, you die there." Point being that it can be rather insular. Atlanta is a city much more accustomed to new people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta