Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 07:36 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,115,292 times

Advertisements

Neil Boortz and Newt Gingrich among other greats. Atlanta has a lot of great cars, perhaps more than most metros with similar size, but it still needs to catch up to FL and LA on that, but then again people in Atlanta are also more conservative. In FL you have these people who live like trash but drive their Quattroporte or Gallardo around and live in a pile of debt. I have a feeling that there are a lot less people living in debt here in Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 11:47 PM

481 posts, read 2,822,313 times
Most of the nice cars in Atlanta are along the GA-400 corridor. I'm a huge car buff so I notice everything, I see a decent amount of Gallardos and Quattroportes. Actually I see the same Quattroporte all the time because some nearby has one and I see it during commute a lot. There is a brand new black GT-R parked down the street from my house in front of one of the stores, the guy also has a nice Supra (I think he owns one of those stores).

There are less ultra-high end cars than LA/Miami but still a decent amount. But the BMW/Mercedes/Lexus population in Atlanta is ridiculous, these are the normal brands in many areas instead of the typical Toyota/Honda/Nissan.

Roswell Road throughout Sandy Springs, Roswell, and Alpharetta has some great car dealers.... Lamborghini, Ferrari, Lotus, Aston Martin, Maserati... I always get the urge to test drive when I pass them.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:02 AM

2,079 posts, read 6,115,292 times
I would say a nice car here I have seen far more than anywhere else, moreso last year and the year before was the range rover/ranger rover sport. everyone has one here!

Old 11-13-2008, 01:28 AM

1,120 posts, read 2,591,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alinka72 View Post
I am curious and in view of my late situation, also jealous... Who lives in Buckhead? Everytime I go there, to restaurants or shops I see people in the middle of the afternoon, sipping on coffee and having a great promenade. I am curious to know who are those people who can afford the houses and towers in that area? What do they do?

An article in yesterday's AJC was very disturbing. Apparently Buckhead is going to experience a 'bloodbath.' Another key word in the AJC article was "goofy." The area is completely overbuilt and working through the construction inventory will take years.

Maybe you should view some of these rich folks as having dinner and drinks on the deck of the Titanic. Most of America, including Buckhead, is facing a bleak economic future.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:29 AM

670 posts, read 2,114,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
Well I have heard that the Buckhead area has the highest retail buying power outside of the Beverly Hills/Holmby Hills/Malibu area of LA in the U.S. Surprisingly over UES New York and Palm Beach FL or Naples FL and Greenwich/Stamford/Darien CT. Interesting statistic, and I have been more and more susceptible to believe it the more time I spend here. I have spent a lot of my life in South FL where there are more Saks and Neimans per capita then anywhere in the U.S., so S FL has a lot of buying power, however apparently North Atlanta has more even though there is only one Saks and one Neiman's.
And surprising that it is more than coastal Orange County (Newport Beach, Huntington Beach, Laguna Beach, etc.) When I went to Phipps Plaza and Lenox Square, I immediately thought, "Okay, so now I've found the South Coast Plaza of Atlanta", South Coast actually having more designer high end stores (IMHO). And then also had to factor "Fashion Island" in Newport Beach, and it's high end stores. Maybe it has to do with population numbers, perhaps Buckhead has a higher population than Newport Beach. But it would be hard to believe income levels were less in Newport Beach as it's usually a main campaign fund raising stop for just about every Republican party candidate (as is Santa Monica/West LA for Democrats).

I'm not in to all that designer stuff, BTW. I just take note of it.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:35 AM

670 posts, read 2,114,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GF72 View Post
Most of the nice cars in Atlanta are along the GA-400 corridor. I'm a huge car buff so I notice everything, I see a decent amount of Gallardos and Quattroportes. Actually I see the same Quattroporte all the time because some nearby has one and I see it during commute a lot. There is a brand new black GT-R parked down the street from my house in front of one of the stores, the guy also has a nice Supra (I think he owns one of those stores).

There are less ultra-high end cars than LA/Miami but still a decent amount. But the BMW/Mercedes/Lexus population in Atlanta is ridiculous, these are the normal brands in many areas instead of the typical Toyota/Honda/Nissan.

Roswell Road throughout Sandy Springs, Roswell, and Alpharetta has some great car dealers.... Lamborghini, Ferrari, Lotus, Aston Martin, Maserati... I always get the urge to test drive when I pass them.
You mean when I move to ATL, I won't get my daily Ferrari or Lamborghini fix like I do now when I drive the freeways in SoCal? Oh well, as long as I can see a bunch of Lexus and Mercedes, I'm sure I'll feel right at home.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:09 AM

341 posts, read 1,337,964 times
Quote:
I am curious and in view of my late situation, also jealous... Who lives in Buckhead? Everytime I go there, to restaurants or shops I see people in the middle of the afternoon, sipping on coffee and having a great promenade. I am curious to know who are those people who can afford the houses and towers in that area? What do they do?

I grew up in and still reside in Buckhead and trust me when I say that it’s not that serious. My parents were not rich but we did live comfortably, although I did have a few friends when I went to W.T. Jackson Elementary whose parents were uber rich. I live by myself now off of Peachtree on Collier Rd, and my parents just moved actually from the Bohler Rd/ West Wesley area to a high rise not to far from Lenox. And they are by no means rich, my father works in sales, and my mother is a social entrepreneur, no doctors or lawyers, just hard working people who made sound financial decisions and invested wisely

Old 11-13-2008, 11:27 AM

439 posts, read 852,748 times
I think 30303 is one of them.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:19 PM

481 posts, read 2,822,313 times
Quote:
I think 30303 is one of them.
30303 is downtown Atlanta, far from buckhead. You're probably thinking of 30305 which is Buckhead. I already posted the Buckhead zip codes earlier.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:53 PM

439 posts, read 852,748 times
I quite honestly do not get carried away by the expesive vehicles I see around the city. There is a lot of ppl who rent expensive vehicles to show off. They actually do not have money, they are in debt and have a problem living within their means. I know this to be true in Atlanta because a lot of my single co-workers tell me of countless soirees they had with gentlemen who do just that. That also go to some ladies who have the need to show off what they do not have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta