U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 11-12-2008, 09:11 AM
 
481 posts, read 2,521,544 times
Reputation: 269

Advertisements

After San Francisco and Seattle, and it's practically tied with Seattle. I always knew Atlanta had a lot, but I didn't realize it was so far ahead nationwide.

source

Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-12-2008, 09:17 AM
JPD
 
11,443 posts, read 14,019,313 times
Reputation: 7158
Good. I like all the gay people I know.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2008, 09:54 AM
 
Location: Atlanta and St Simons Island, GA
19,744 posts, read 31,620,411 times
Reputation: 11454
Who do you think has been gentrifying the intown neighborhoods all these years?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2008, 10:05 AM
 
9,124 posts, read 31,653,416 times
Reputation: 3511
I'm shocked! Simply shocked!







(I figured Atlanta would be ahead of Seattle....lol)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2008, 10:17 AM
 
Location: San Francisco
2,112 posts, read 5,032,766 times
Reputation: 893
^^^Yea I had never heard of Seattle being so gay, but putting things in perspective, there are probably as many gays in Chelsea as there are in Atlanta, but since NYC is so much bigger, the percentage overall is lower.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2008, 10:23 AM
 
Location: Atlanta and St Simons Island, GA
19,744 posts, read 31,620,411 times
Reputation: 11454
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
^^^Yea I had never heard of Seattle being so gay, but putting things in perspective, there are probably as many gays in Chelsea as there are in Atlanta, but since NYC is so much bigger, the percentage overall is lower.
Check out the stats on same-sex households; it indicates that a lot of the gay population in Atlanta resides in neighborhoods outside the city limits. In particular, there is DeKalb County; neighborhoods that have a significant gay population include Decatur, Druid Hills, North Druid Hills, Brookhaven, Oak Grove, Northlake and Tucker.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2008, 10:37 AM
 
12,065 posts, read 20,223,333 times
Reputation: 3688
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Check out the stats on same-sex households; it indicates that a lot of the gay population in Atlanta resides in neighborhoods outside the city limits. In particular, there is DeKalb County; neighborhoods that have a significant gay population include Decatur, Druid Hills, North Druid Hills, Brookhaven, Oak Grove, Northlake and Tucker.
Yep...I think the gay-list only includes the City of Atlanta.

But, like you said, Atlanta is still so gay...in or out!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2008, 10:45 AM
 
Location: East Tennessee and Atlanta
2,835 posts, read 8,055,355 times
Reputation: 1586
Where's NYC on that list? NYC has to be ahead of Atlanta...gimmee a break! Nothing against Atlanta, but that count either leaves NYC out, or it's flawed.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2008, 10:47 AM
 
Location: East Tennessee and Atlanta
2,835 posts, read 8,055,355 times
Reputation: 1586
After re-reading though, I now see why I jumped to conclusions...the chart is %-based, so the less population a city has, the larger the "gay population" appears.
NYC has 8.3 million, and even if they have the largest gay pop, it would be too small to be reflected above. *duh*
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2008, 11:10 AM
 
Location: Atlanta and St Simons Island, GA
19,744 posts, read 31,620,411 times
Reputation: 11454
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
After re-reading though, I now see why I jumped to conclusions...the chart is %-based, so the less population a city has, the larger the "gay population" appears.
NYC has 8.3 million, and even if they have the largest gay pop, it would be too small to be reflected above. *duh*
Right...we're not talking raw #s here.
Very frustrating when you try to rent Steel Magnolias, Auntie Mame, Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte or Mommie Dearest at a Blockbuster in NW DeKalb County. And the local Target can never seem to keep that purple Teletubby in stock.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top