Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 06:27 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,017,508 times

Advertisements

Time to do some traveling

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Wednesday, November 12, 2008
Delta Air Lines plans to launch seven new routes from Atlanta to Africa next summer as part of a broader international route network.
Atlanta-based Delta also plans to add a second daily flight from Atlanta to Tokyo’s Narita Airport effective May 4. For that flight, it plans to use the Boeing 747-400 from merger partner Northwest Airlines. It is Delta’s first announced 747 flight out of Atlanta since the merger closed last month.

Delta will repaint its first Northwest 747 to Delta colors in December at a facility in Victorville, Calif., and expects to repaint the entire Northwest fleet in the Delta livery within about two years.
Delta is also adding new routes from New York and Salt Lake City to its Tokyo hub from Northwest, and from Tokyo to Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam. Some of the service will be operated under Northwest’s operating certificate.
“Delta continues to hone a distinct and strategic global network that capitalizes on new opportunities created by our recent merger with Northwest,” along with its New York and Atlanta hubs, said Delta executive vice president of network planning and revenue management Glen Hauenstein in a written statement.
The new Africa routes planned from Atlanta include flights to Johannesburg, South Africa; Abuja, Nigeria via Cape Verde; Luanda, Angola via Cape Verde; Maloba, Equatorial Guinea via Cape Verde; and Cape Town, South Africa via Dakar. Delta also will resume plans to fly to Nairobi, Kenya via Dakar, but will fly the route from Atlanta instead of New York, and it will begin flying from Atlanta to Monrovia, Liberia via Cape Verde as previously announced. All of the new Africa routes are expected to start in June.
The new routes, which are subject to government approval, are part of a broader international network that Delta has planned as a key benefit of its merger with Northwest. At the same time, Delta is slowing its international growth as economic problems spread around the world.
Delta will cut one of its three daily flights from Atlanta to London, and is changing a number of its international routes by cutting back to seasonal service or reducing the number of flights per week.
It also plans to stop flying a Detroit-Osaka, Japan route and is suspending its Detroit-Paris route in January for the winter season.
Delta also is cutting its total capacity in Cincinnati by about 12 percent, measured by available seat miles, as it restructures the hub. While Delta pledged not to eliminate hubs as a result of its merger with Northwest, many observers believe the airline may need to revisit that decision.
In Atlanta, Delta has said it does not plan to significantly grow its operations in its schedule for early next year.
Other new routes Delta plans to start next summer are New York to Gothenberg, Sweden; Prague, Czech Republic; Valencia, Spain and Zurich, Switzerland. Most of those routes are also subject to government approval.
As the airline ramps up the integration of the two carriers’ operations, it carrier is adding more flight capacity between Delta’s hubs in Atlanta, Cincinnati New York and Salt Lake City and Northwest’s hubs in Minneapolis, Memphis and Detroit. Delta said it will have a full code-share partnership with Northwest for flights between Delta hubs effective Jan. 5, and will fully combine its flight schedules by next summer.

NEW INTERNATIONAL ROUTES
DEPARTURES FROM ATLANTA
> Johannesburg, South Africa: Daily starting June 1
> Abuja, Nigeria via Cape Verde: Twice weekly starting June 10
> Luanda, Angola via Cape Verde: Twice weekly starting June 14
> Maloba, Equatorial Guinea via Cape Verde: Once weekly starting June 16
> Monrovia, Liberia via Cape Verde: Once weekly till June 8
> Cape Town, South Africa via Dakar: Three times weekly starting June 1
> Nairobi, Kenya via Dakar: Four times weekly starting June 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 07:06 AM

826 posts, read 3,120,011 times
I am very excited about the new routes to Brazil. My husband and I will be taking that flight to Fortaleza!!!

Old 11-13-2008, 08:32 AM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merin View Post
I am very excited about the new routes to Brazil. My husband and I will be taking that flight to Fortaleza!!!
Hey Merin--

I was excited, but then mad...because those routes would have been so useful for me 1+ years ago!

Old 11-13-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe2000 View Post
Time to do some traveling

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Wednesday, November 12, 2008
Delta Air Lines plans to launch seven new routes from Atlanta to Africa next summer as part of a broader international route network.
Atlanta-based Delta also plans to add a second daily flight from Atlanta to Tokyo’s Narita Airport effective May 4. For that flight, it plans to use the Boeing 747-400 from merger partner Northwest Airlines. It is Delta’s first announced 747 flight out of Atlanta since the merger closed last month.

Delta will repaint its first Northwest 747 to Delta colors in December at a facility in Victorville, Calif., and expects to repaint the entire Northwest fleet in the Delta livery within about two years.
Delta is also adding new routes from New York and Salt Lake City to its Tokyo hub from Northwest, and from Tokyo to Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam. Some of the service will be operated under Northwest’s operating certificate.
“Delta continues to hone a distinct and strategic global network that capitalizes on new opportunities created by our recent merger with Northwest,” along with its New York and Atlanta hubs, said Delta executive vice president of network planning and revenue management Glen Hauenstein in a written statement.
The new Africa routes planned from Atlanta include flights to Johannesburg, South Africa; Abuja, Nigeria via Cape Verde; Luanda, Angola via Cape Verde; Maloba, Equatorial Guinea via Cape Verde; and Cape Town, South Africa via Dakar. Delta also will resume plans to fly to Nairobi, Kenya via Dakar, but will fly the route from Atlanta instead of New York, and it will begin flying from Atlanta to Monrovia, Liberia via Cape Verde as previously announced. All of the new Africa routes are expected to start in June.
The new routes, which are subject to government approval, are part of a broader international network that Delta has planned as a key benefit of its merger with Northwest. At the same time, Delta is slowing its international growth as economic problems spread around the world.
Delta will cut one of its three daily flights from Atlanta to London, and is changing a number of its international routes by cutting back to seasonal service or reducing the number of flights per week.
It also plans to stop flying a Detroit-Osaka, Japan route and is suspending its Detroit-Paris route in January for the winter season.
Delta also is cutting its total capacity in Cincinnati by about 12 percent, measured by available seat miles, as it restructures the hub. While Delta pledged not to eliminate hubs as a result of its merger with Northwest, many observers believe the airline may need to revisit that decision.
In Atlanta, Delta has said it does not plan to significantly grow its operations in its schedule for early next year.
Other new routes Delta plans to start next summer are New York to Gothenberg, Sweden; Prague, Czech Republic; Valencia, Spain and Zurich, Switzerland. Most of those routes are also subject to government approval.
As the airline ramps up the integration of the two carriers’ operations, it carrier is adding more flight capacity between Delta’s hubs in Atlanta, Cincinnati New York and Salt Lake City and Northwest’s hubs in Minneapolis, Memphis and Detroit. Delta said it will have a full code-share partnership with Northwest for flights between Delta hubs effective Jan. 5, and will fully combine its flight schedules by next summer.

NEW INTERNATIONAL ROUTES
DEPARTURES FROM ATLANTA
> Johannesburg, South Africa: Daily starting June 1
> Abuja, Nigeria via Cape Verde: Twice weekly starting June 10
> Luanda, Angola via Cape Verde: Twice weekly starting June 14
> Maloba, Equatorial Guinea via Cape Verde: Once weekly starting June 16
> Monrovia, Liberia via Cape Verde: Once weekly till June 8
> Cape Town, South Africa via Dakar: Three times weekly starting June 1
> Nairobi, Kenya via Dakar: Four times weekly starting June 2

All of this is like so good for the ATL.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:14 AM

826 posts, read 3,120,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Hey Merin--

I was excited, but then mad...because those routes would have been so useful for me 1+ years ago!
LOL!! I don't know why there is no Salvador route!!!

Old 11-13-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Yep...or a Brasilia route. But, with a Manaus route, it makes things much better for Brasilia (to Atlanta).

Old 11-13-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
More...

Since the early 2000's, I always thought Atlanta should have more African and Brazilian routes...they were such untapped markets. Now, here we are. So, so good!

I also Delta should eventually add 1 or 2 more Brazilian routes, and many more African routes.

I then think they focus on more routes to India (various cities), the Middle East (all the countries that are feasible), Russia (various cities), "far" Eastern Europe, and central Asia. I feel that these markets are emerging and untapped. Would be oh-so-good for Atlanta.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:37 PM

6,540 posts, read 12,032,561 times
I think the yet newer Delta will do wonders for Atlanta, and will help the local economy recover quickly. Also being the main hub and HQ for the world's largest airline will help Atlanta gain status in becoming more of a world class city.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I think the yet newer Delta will do wonders for Atlanta, and will help the local economy recover quickly. Also being the main hub and HQ for the world's largest airline will help Atlanta gain status in becoming more of a world class city.
Like totally!

Old 11-14-2008, 04:35 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,017,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post

Especially once the Hapeville project is complete. They will be able to fly in from overseas and have an office right outside the gates of the airport. Plus they will have a hotel and a convention center also. This will help the southside of town a lot....

http://atlanta.bizjournals.com/atlan...27/daily9.html
Between Dec. 18 and Dec. 21, Delta (NYSE: DAL) will launch new routes from Atlanta to Tegucigalpa, Honduras; Guayaquil, Ecuador; Manaus, Brazil; and Recife-Fortaleza, Brazil. Delta will also add an Atlanta- Santiago, Dominican Republic flight.

Last edited by tonygeorgia; 11-14-2008 at 04:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta