Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 08:18 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,876,421 times

Advertisements

Well, here's a sign of the times! One that kind of caught me off guard, too. According to a couple of web and this AJC article, Circuit City is going to close ALL of it's Atlanta locations by December 31st!

The economy is definitely bad, when in a spend-spend-spend city like Atlanta, a store like CC closes every single location instead of just the slowest producers. After the closings, you'll need to drive to Rome, Columbus, or Chattanooga to go to one. Yikes.

Story - HERE (http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/stories/2008/11/03/circuit_cty_closing_stores.html?cxntlid=homepage_t ab_newstab - broken link).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 08:25 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,619,137 times
CC was always over-priced IMO, but then I don't buy much electronics, but my husband does and he agrees.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:37 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,876,421 times
I would suspect after Xmas this year that there will be some good inventory closeout sales going on if you can get to them, though.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:41 AM

10,058 posts, read 14,425,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Well, here's a sign of the times! One that kind of caught me off guard, too. According to a couple of web and this AJC article, Circuit City is going to close ALL of it's Atlanta locations by December 31st!

The economy is definitely bad, when in a spend-spend-spend city like Atlanta, a store like CC closes every single location instead of just the slowest producers. After the closings, you'll need to drive to Rome, Columbus, or Chattanooga to go to one. Yikes.

Story - HERE (http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/stories/2008/11/03/circuit_cty_closing_stores.html?cxntlid=homepage_t ab_newstab - broken link).
It's a sad situation. I was looking at the list of closures this morning. It looks like Atlanta got hit about the hardest of any area--along with Phoenix.
Cities that sprawled hardcore, relying on malls and big-box stores for the "core" of new development suburbs, such as Phoenix/Dallas/Vegas/Atlanta, are going to continue to be especially hard hit during this bad economy. More established cities that haven't grown so quickly will most likely fare better in terms of store closures, just due to the fact that they don't have as many as the "growing cities."
Here in CT, we have just 1 store closing in Orange--a suburb of New Haven. Very interesting to watch this unfold. Bad news continues.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:49 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,018,485 times
thank god thousands of new jobs will come due to the delta merger, close to 8000+ new jobs at the Hapeville redevelopment once completed

155 stores are closing nationwide, not just in atlanta

Last edited by tonygeorgia; 11-03-2008 at 09:59 AM..

Old 11-03-2008, 09:31 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,370,251 times
Circuit City has been in trouble for years. Doesn't surprise me that they are closing many of their stores, although it is a bit of a surprise that they're pulling out of Atlanta entirely. This move has little to do with today's economy and more to do with the recent shifts in the retail markets and the fact that CC management has not been able to adapt quickly enough. Most people these days are buying electronics either on-line or at Walmart. Best Buy has managed to adapt, as have some other retailers. CC stagnated. "Snooze, ya lose".

Old 11-03-2008, 09:43 AM

247 posts, read 1,290,020 times
Yes, but the bulk of their revenue is from internet sales. They have way too much overhead in their stores. They are still keeping their web site and will still generate a lot of sales from it. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if more big box stores close their brick and mortar stores and just have internet sales only.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:44 AM

35 posts, read 130,881 times
Did they consider that if they left one Atlanta store open, it might no longer underperform?

I found their prices competitive and their web site made it easy to find which stores had my item in stock. I liked to pay online and just pick it up in the store. The times I dealt with their salespeople though, not so smooth.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:55 AM

247 posts, read 1,289,559 times
Over the past year, any time I went into Circuit City, it was like a ghost town. However during the same time, Best Buys always had a lot of activity. I am surprised Circuit City has lasted this long.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:24 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,290,449 times
I still have (and use) a pair of stereo speakers that I bought at Circuit City in 1993. That's the last thing I bought there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta