U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2008, 06:45 PM

6 posts, read 19,238 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
I have posted previously concerning a possible move to the Atlanta area in the near future provided I find a teaching job. My question is this, I have 4 kids, and they are heavily involved in music at school. Honestly if there was one reason I would want to stay in FL, it would be to keep my kids in the school music program. The area we live in is feeder chain, and my girls have been taking strings (viola/violin/cello) since they were in the 4th grade. It has been so neat to watch them advance through the years and keep the same teachers in place. As well they are into chorus. My oldest (8th grade) will be going to all state this year and it was an honor imo. She is also in our church production of Sound of Music.
So my question-how is the music education in the public schools? Is it a big deal, is it just a 'specials' course they 'have' to take etc? I figured with Atlanta being a huge city, music would be a big deal, but I could be wrong. I just do not want my children to lose their interest in music is all.
Thanks for any advice,
~Patti
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 07:12 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,280,512 times
Having taught in Fulton County, I'm a little familiar with its Music Program at the elementary school level. Students have the opportunity to take band, orchestra, or chorus beginning in 4th Grade and it continues throughout middle school. In high school there are magnet programs for almost every subject at particular locations, so students have the opportunity to attend the magnet school for visual and performing arts. I'm sure it's basically the same in other Metro Atlanta school systems.

Info on Fulton County's Music Program:
1. Welcome to the Fulton County Music Department (http://www.fultonschools.org/dept/music/index.html - broken link)

2. FCSS News - Fulton County Schools music program sings - posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 (http://www.fultonschools.org/story_detail.asp?id=1873 - broken link)

Old 11-17-2008, 07:45 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,077,416 times
Notice that two metro Atlanta school districts, Cobb County and Fulton County, rank 9th and 10th on this list of the 100 best communities for music education, in the entire country: American Music Conference

There's only one Florida district on that list, Hillborough County, and it's number 8, right ahead of Cobb and Fulton. Perhaps that's where the OP is moving from?

I live in Cobb, where the orchestra and chorus programs at my child's middle and high schools are superb. Graduates go on to careers as professional musicians. However, there was no instrumental program at our elementary school.

I suspect if you look into which Cobb and Fulton schools are best known for music programs, you should be able to find a good place for your kids.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:53 AM

3,972 posts, read 11,070,440 times
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but education funding is in dire shape in GA. Systems have already lost 2 percent of their funding from the state, whole state funded programs will be cut next year and many legislators are saying that the cuts will be deeper than 2 percent next year. Additionally, property values are falling to most systems won't take in as much revenue from property taxes.

That said, the situation is pretty much the same (or worse) across the country, including FL.

So there is no guarantee that either where you are now or where you move to, will offer exactly what they do today.

I recommend that when looking at your housing budget that you insure that you can afford private lessons when you set what you want to spend on housing so that if cuts come, your children can continue with what they love.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:39 AM

2,069 posts, read 3,506,055 times
It depends to a large degree which school system your children attend. We are in North Fulton and we had band and orchestra programs starting in 4th grade. My daughter started in band but post-orthodontia switched to chorus in middle school. Even at the non-magnet high schools the music programs provide plenty of opportunity for the children. This is a good question for a realtor when you start looking at specific locations. It will vary between counties, but it may also vary somewhat between individual schools within a county.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:23 AM

167 posts, read 762,840 times
I was a music teacher in Forsyth County. There is chorus in elementary school and then band, sometimes orchestra (just depending on the school) later in middle school. Sadly, schools across Georgia are choosing to cut music and art programs due to limited funding. Since it sounds like your kids are a little more advance than the average, you should check into some of the auditioned groups across the metro. There is The Atlanta Symphony Youth Orchestra, The Gwinnett Young Singers, The Spivey Hall Young Singers, etc. I'm sure there are alot more that I don't know of off hand. There are also lots of summer arts programs offered by some the area colleges. As far as musical theater goes, there are playhouses and children's theater groups all across the metro. There are tons of ways for your kids to continues to develop their skills, it just might not happen in public schools if GA keeps cutting funds.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:26 PM

6 posts, read 19,238 times
Thank you all for your great responses! I know all too well about budget cuts in education...coming from Florida. We were and continue to be hit very hard. Luckily, the push to keep music in the schools here has won so far. I hope it stays, as I feel the program is excellent.
I am going to look into all of the links posted, you are a great bunch here! I leave tomorrow morning to visit Atlanta for a week, am attending the teacher job fair on Thursday, and I am excited! I just know that my girls do not want to leave here because they do not want to lose their music education, and I assured them they will be able to continue there, so we will see!
I am off to find a nice winter jacket, as it seems to be VERY cold there from what I am hearing! hehe.
Thanks again everyone!
~Patti

Old 11-19-2008, 09:42 AM

697 posts, read 2,643,659 times
We're in North Fulton, in the Centennial cluster, and have been very pleased with the quality of the teachers in the orchestra programs at both River Eves Elem and Holcomb Bridge Middle. My son started violin 2 years ago in 4th grade, and is now in 6th; my daughter started cello this year when she got to 4th. There are generally summer camps at various locations around North Fulton and the metro area in general where the music educators from the area provide extra instruction, and there seems to be a solid base of private instructors in the area. There's also a fair amount of community support -- John's Creek has its own symphony orchestra, and there's a solid chamber group, the Riverside Chamber Players whose founder and artistic director, Atlanta Symphony cellist Joel Dallow, is a neighbor of ours and who has kids in the North Fulton public school music program himself.

Old 11-29-2009, 01:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,707 times
Hi..Respect Sir or Madam,I am looking for special training of guiter Bass,Drum,Key Board and Available studio rooms.May you please inform me through my mail.Please.thanksHere is my mail.;michaelkimlian@yahoo.co.uk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or