Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 11:55 AM

294 posts, read 778,875 times

Advertisements

As best I can tell while Dallas looks more cosmopolitan, Atlanta actually is. People in Dallas dress more fashionable. But Dallas does not have the diversity of Decatur, West End, or Chamblee. Compared with Atlanta there are virtually no black people in Dallas.

^^^

Do you mean the "city" of Dallas or the Metro? Dallas city seems to have plenty of black people (I think it's 25%, 300,000). Compared to Atlanta though it is a big difference but seems to be be more evenly spread out accross the Metroplex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 12:05 PM

625 posts, read 1,143,093 times
I'm looking to escape Atlanta and have a question: Are the roads in Dallas as crappy as they are in Atlanta in-town?

Old 12-30-2008, 12:12 PM

10 posts, read 16,993 times
Metro. The city of Dallas has more for sure. I've been told Houston is the more diverse Texas city, not just for black folks but for all.

Blond- you're going to pay to drive Dallas roads. Either in .40c tolls every three miles, or in sheer uglyness of the area. To each his/her own, but out of many places I've lived Dallas is bar none the most unattractive city.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:52 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,893,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamM View Post
Wow, really? I'm a little surprised to hear that.
dua william every body knowns dallas is way larger!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-23-2011, 10:25 AM

957 posts, read 3,342,827 times
Just curious... on average what is the property taxes like in Plano or Flower Mound? Would you say it is 2% of the home value annually.

In Atlanta... you can buy a home in North Fulton and pay 1.5% a year or pay 0.8% a year right across the border into Forsyth County. Both these are located in excellent school districts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustrav View Post
I think the two are similar and then also absolutely nothing alike.

Dallas is in Texas and that alone creates differences. Both Georgia and Texas as states, lack and have fallen behind in many other states in key areas. Texas seems to not wish to do better, where as in Georgia the people tend to understand this situation is nothing to brag about. Quite the opposite in TX.

Texas and Dallas are also more authoritarian and more religious imho than Georgia. Georgia is firmly Christian and Baptist at that, but Dallas is even more so. You simply do little in Dallas unless the church is involved and that includes young people. You will see agressive police forces in Dallas and surrounding cities- and they will enforce to the letter of the law.

As best I can tell while Dallas looks more cosmopolitan, Atlanta actually is. People in Dallas dress more fashionable. But Dallas does not have the diversity of Decatur, West End, or Chamblee. Compared with Atlanta there are virtually no black people in Dallas.

Dallas appears to be much older interms of housing with very little in the way of young professionals taking over urban areas as evidenced by the lack of new, or to the extent of new which exists in Atlanta, development. Compared to Atlanta there is very little new housing. The vast, overwhelmingly vast majority of homes in Dallas seem to date from 1990 to 2000. In Atlanta houses are more secluded due to the woods all around. Dallas has more straight lined in a row housing.

Dallas is also very much more spread out. You can spend all day in the car and not leave the metroplex. Even general construction is more spread out. Highrises appear in the middle of pastures, speghetti junction style interchanges pop up in non uprban areas. For instance we found a mellow mushroom pizza in Ft Worth and spent an hour to get there from Dallas. The cost of living in Dallas is better, but there's also that old saying about money.

And on money TX has no income tax but the highest property tax. Expect a bill of $600- $1000 per month on an average home. This is partly why housing prices are so cheap in TX. Still, that can beat local GA income taxes if you buy wisely. The downside though, is nothing in Texas 'common' is nice- the roads are often unmarked, cracked and in some cases ripped open. And that includes interstates. Public stuff in Texas seems cheap.

Lastly, Dallas is also where W. Bush chose to live, though in fairness Atlanta has it's own dingbat residents.

Last edited by mrpanda; 04-23-2011 at 10:34 AM..

Old 04-23-2011, 10:39 AM

Interesting to say. Both Dallas and Atlanta have two cities ranked in the top 50 wealthiest cities (per capital) in the nation with a population of over 70,000.

Rank #9 Sandy Springs, GA per capital income $55,752
Rank #27 Frisco, TX per capital income $41,786
Rank #42 Plano, TX per capital income $40,920
Rank #49 Roswell, GA per capital income $36,001

Altanta may have an edge as the new City of Johns Creek has a population right around 70,000 and will now rank with the top 15 on this list with per capital income of $42,055. If Alpharetta had a population of over 70,000, we would have four on the list.

One area that Dallas has an advantage over Atlanta is having two airports (one international and one domestic.) the location of Hartfield International Airport makes it very inconvenient for people living in the North Fulton and Forsyth County (where all the growth is happening) to travel frequently for work or pleasure. If the Gwinnett County Airport opens up as our domestic airport... Atlanta would be the most idealistic place to live for me.

Last edited by mrpanda; 04-23-2011 at 11:13 AM..

Old 04-23-2011, 10:42 AM

Just out of curiousity, how is the Korea Town in Dallas compare to the Korea Town in Atlanta. I have to admit that one of the factors considered when moving to Atlanta was now nice and vibrant the K-town is Gwinnett County. Just curious to see how it compares to Dallas. I would say that Altanta has the nicest Korea Town I've ever seen next to Los Angeles.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:03 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,724,673 times
Would an airport in Gwinnett County really be more convenient than Hartsfield? It seems like it's fairly simple to catch MARTA from the North Springs station and glide on down to the airport, but anyway...

"All the growth" is not happening in North Fulton and Forsyth...it's actually happening all over Metro Atlanta - south, east, and west sides included - but it's definitely not confined to those two counties in any way.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:11 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,289,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Would an airport in Gwinnett County really be more convenient than Hartsfield? It seems like it's fairly simple to catch MARTA from the North Springs station and glide on down to the airport, but anyway...

"All the growth" is not happening in North Fulton and Forsyth...it's actually happening all over Metro Atlanta - south, east, and west sides included - but it's definitely not confined to those two counties in any way.
Exactly.

As far as Dallas having two airports "one domestic and one international" that is simply not true. Love Field is extrememly dominated by one carrier - Southwest. Until the Wright Amendment expires in 2014, the flights to/from Love Field are limited to States bordering/adjacent to Texas. There are no nonstops flights from Love to NY, Chicago, L.A., Atlanta, etc. For those you HAVE to go to DFW.

As far as Gwinnett allowing commercial flights from Briscoe Field, I'm betting it will never, ever happen.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:23 PM

I think that Forsyth (170k population) and Paulding County (140k population) has experienced a 70-80% population growth in the last ten years. I don't think any other county in Atlanta can claim that kind of growth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta