Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 10:16 AM

56 posts, read 163,761 times

Advertisements

thanks! me too! i am so ready for more decent weather so i can go exploring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 10:36 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
It's coming......starting in about 5 weeks this place looks like heaven on earth.

When it gets a little warmer, remind to suggest some cool hiking spots.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:27 PM

925 posts, read 2,606,218 times
Best Suburb: Woodstock, Roswell, or Peachtree City

Worst Suburb: College Park, East Point, or Riverdale

The Good:

Canton, Holly Springs, Woodstock, Roswell, Alpharetta, John's Creek, Milton, Duluth, Suwanee, Buford, Sugar Hill, Dacula, "East Cobb", West Cobb/Dallas Highway, Peachtree City, Fayetteville, Starrs Mill, Sharpsburg, Newnan, Vinings, Tyrone, Dunwoody

The Fair:

Grayson, Snellville, Loganville, Acworth, Marietta, Smyrna, Powder Springs, Lawrenceville, Kennesaw, Buford, Sugar Hill, Douglasville, Austell (northern side), Mableton (northern side), McDonough, Stockbridge, Locust Grove, Decatur (northern side), Hiram, Dallas, New Georgia, Sandy Springs

The Bad:

Austell (southern side), Mableton (southern side), Morrow, Jonesboro, Conyers, Covington, Fairburn, Union City, Lithonia, Lithia Springs, Lake City, Chamblee, Doraville, Norcross, Lilburn

The Ugly:

Riverdale, College Park, East Point, Forest Park, Clarkston, Stone Mountain, Decatur (southern side)

Old 04-06-2009, 02:02 PM

23,440 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
Best Suburb: Woodstock, Roswell, or Peachtree City

Worst Suburb: College Park, East Point, or Riverdale

The Good:

Canton, Holly Springs, Woodstock, Roswell, Alpharetta, John's Creek, Milton, Duluth, Suwanee, Buford, Sugar Hill, Dacula, "East Cobb", West Cobb/Dallas Highway, Peachtree City, Fayetteville, Starrs Mill, Sharpsburg, Newnan, Vinings, Tyrone, Dunwoody

The Fair:

Grayson, Snellville, Loganville, Acworth, Marietta, Smyrna, Powder Springs, Lawrenceville, Kennesaw, Buford, Sugar Hill, Douglasville, Austell (northern side), Mableton (northern side), McDonough, Stockbridge, Locust Grove, Decatur (northern side), Hiram, Dallas, New Georgia, Sandy Springs

The Bad:

Austell (southern side), Mableton (southern side), Morrow, Jonesboro, Conyers, Covington, Fairburn, Union City, Lithonia, Lithia Springs, Lake City, Chamblee, Doraville, Norcross, Lilburn

The Ugly:

Riverdale, College Park, East Point, Forest Park, Clarkston, Stone Mountain, Decatur (southern side)
Speaking as a resident of the "fair" suburb of northern Decatur, I would rate it ahead of most of your "good" and "best" suburbs.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:51 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Speaking as a resident of the "fair" suburb of northern Decatur, I would rate it ahead of most of your "good" and "best" suburbs.
And I take it he's never actually been to East Point...it's not even close to being the worst suburb of Atlanta. I'm not even sure how one would go about deciding which suburbs are best/worst? I haven't visited even 1/4 of them so wouldn't really know...

Old 04-06-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
And I take it he's never actually been to East Point...it's not even close to being the worst suburb of Atlanta. I'm not even sure how one would go about deciding which suburbs are best/worst? I haven't visited even 1/4 of them so wouldn't really know...
I've been to East Point, and I can easily say that it fits in the "ugly" category. Sure, they've fixed it up a little around its downtown, but it is still one of the worst suburbs to live in within Metro Atlanta, in my opinion.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
I've been to East Point, and I can easily say that it fits in the "ugly" category. Sure, they've fixed it up a little around its downtown, but it is still one of the worst suburbs to live in within Metro Atlanta, in my opinion.
Wouldn't it have saved you time to say OTP good, ITP bad and be done with it? Your list is certainly heavily skewed in that direction. I suppose a suburb with any sense of urbanity to it is undesirable.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Wouldn't it have saved you time to say OTP good, ITP bad and be done with it? Your list is certainly heavily skewed in that direction. I suppose a suburb with any sense of urbanity to it is undesirable.
Not at all.

Riverdale is outside the Perimeter, as is Forest Park, parts of College Park and East Point.

Furthermore, many within the "bad" category are actually outside the perimeter.

Northern Decatur could be classified in the "good" category, but I disagree with the politics of the area, so it knocked it down a knotch, in my opinion.

Much of the rest of the area inside the perimeter either belongs to the City of Atlanta, or it is unincorporated Atlanta, so it's kind of hard to place it, unless you want to speak of every little community, such as Toco Hills, Lavista, Oak Grove, Rehoboth, Emory Village, etc. While they're suburban in nature, they're not actual suburbs defined according to a nationally designated area, such as a zip code with its own name. If such were the case, I'd place many of them in the "good" to "fair" areas.

Those that are not either actually incorporated or unincorporated areas of Atlanta, outside of a few places like Decatur, Avondale Estates, etc. are rather grim, such as College Park and East Point. Hapeville isn't as bad, but it's not "good". I'd place it in the "bad" column. Beyond that, there's not much else besides Sandy Springs (inside I-285 section), and I've listed that as "fair", considering the apartments around Roswell Road.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Not at all.

Riverdale is outside the Perimeter, as is Forest Park, parts of College Park and East Point.

Furthermore, many within the "bad" category are actually outside the perimeter.

Northern Decatur could be classified in the "good" category, but I disagree with the politics of the area, so it knocked it down a knotch, in my opinion.

Much of the rest of the area inside the perimeter either belongs to the City of Atlanta, or it is unincorporated Atlanta, so it's kind of hard to place it, unless you want to speak of every little community, such as Toco Hills, Lavista, Oak Grove, Rehoboth, Emory Village, etc. While they're suburban in nature, they're not actual suburbs defined according to a nationally designated area, such as a zip code with its own name. If such were the case, I'd place many of them in the "good" to "fair" areas.

Those that are not either actually incorporated or unincorporated areas of Atlanta, outside of a few places like Decatur, Avondale Estates, etc. are rather grim, such as College Park and East Point. Hapeville isn't as bad, but it's not "good". I'd place it in the "bad" column. Beyond that, there's not much else besides Sandy Springs (inside I-285 section), and I've listed that as "fair", considering the apartments around Roswell Road.
So it's the politics we're basing this on? Silly me, I thought we were basing this criteria on factors such as aesthetics, safety and overall quality of life.
And you should let Decaon take you on a tour of College Park and East Point sometime. I agree with him that the historic neighborhoods in those cities have made a remarkable comeback.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
So it's the politics we're basing this on? Silly me, I thought we were basing this criteria on factors such as aesthetics, safety and overall quality of life.
And you should let Decaon take you on a tour of College Park and East Point sometime. I agree with him that the historic neighborhoods in those cities have made a remarkable comeback.
It is based on aesthetics and overall quality of life for most areas. Decatur was the one of the few in which political issues were thrown in as a measure of determining whether it was good.

Listen, I'm not going to argue with you about the aesthetics of the northern half of Decatur. The lush foliage of the area, surrounded by beautiful homes is top notch, particularly in and around US 78 (Scott Blvd?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta