Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 10:55 AM

2 posts, read 5,847 times

Advertisements

thanks it really is a great point .
it would be so good to know about how is the economy being affected by the current situation i mean business are getting closed ? or there are too many foreclosures ?
i wonder if it is as bad as florida?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 02:58 PM

293 posts, read 1,106,703 times
The best:

Sharpsburg (near Cannongate and Hwy 154, as well as East Coweta)
Chapel Hill (Douglasville, Chapel Hill Road towards the Hwy 166 end)
Fairburn (Fayette County Fairburn)

Would mention northern suburbs, but, the traffic up there is WAY too much for me. All these are south with cool schools.

The worse:
Forest Park (like, what is appealing there?)
Morrow (same)
Lake City

Old 12-24-2008, 08:35 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Dekalb County has become too black for most people in this forum...that's they problem.
Stone Mountain has alot of blacks from the Carribean. Many of them are hard working people who, when they save enough money, move to the other side of the mountain to Gwinnett County Snailville and Lawrenceville). The ones that stay on the DeKalb side tend to be criminals and misfits. Hell, three of them even killed the Sheriff there before he could take office!

Old 12-31-2008, 05:26 PM

256 posts, read 750,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvisteam View Post
Ok, So Hoschton, might not be the "BEST" Suburb, but it sure is a nice place to raise a family. It's far enough out there that you don't have to deal with those ITP-ers and it's close enough as I want to get to the largest mall in Georgia. Award winning schools and parks, and most people don't even know it's out here!

It's gets my vote.

Other good ones in Gwinnett

Dacula (west of 316)
Suwanee
Duluth
"Parts" of Lawrenceville

mod edit.
lol what are those "ITP-ers" supposed to be? (I know what ITP stands for, Inside The Perimeter, I'm asking what you don't like about them)

Old 12-31-2008, 05:52 PM

279 posts, read 1,014,111 times
I will be visiting the Atlanta area in June for a week long vacation. And yall are giving me great info. Keep it up please. haha.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,882 times
I currently moved to Stone Mountain about 6 months ago not knowing where or what kind of neighborhood i was moving into like one said before stone mountain sounded good well till i got here im a white girl from Mississippi never lived in a major city like Atlanta well its very big and alot of people but for stone mountain yea its the ghetto and if i would have known what kind of neighborhood i was moving into i wouldnt have chose this one but we found an appartment online and had no idea about the area til after we got here and had signed a lease on a place for a year here ugh will never find aplace to live on the internet. i dont mind black ppl imnot racist i get along wit whoever but white people r a minority here so if ur looking for a good neighborhood dont move to stone mountain espeically places of off E Ponce De Leion road lol

Old 02-01-2009, 08:36 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,402,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
The big question if you're considering Flowery Branch would be employment- there's not a whole heck of a lot out there, and it's far enough from Atlanta that your commute would be painful if you had to get into town for work- 85 is a pretty congested road. If you were able to find work in/around Gwinnett County it might not be too bad, but I wouldn't want to go much further than that.
You have a point Bob on the commute. Flowery Branch though does offer the benefit of having 85 and 985 along with 23.
Growth has also came to FB.
My suggestion has always been, if you live and work in this area, try to live within the area you work. If you want to live in FB, then it would be best if you worked in Gwinnett or Hall county. If you live in FB and work anywhere south of Jimmy Carter Blvd, then bring war and peace with you so you have a short story to read while idle

Old 02-01-2009, 10:08 AM

56 posts, read 163,791 times
i moved to georgia in december and was overwhelmed at the prospect of finding an area that seemed right for me.

the nature of my job is such that i can live anywhere in the metro area without commuting consequences. if commuting were something i had do to everyday, that would determine where i lived. (i spend each week opening a new location and it could be anywhere from macon to nc state line.)

i also do not have kids or the ability to stay awake after 9pm, so schools and night life did not come into play in my decision.

i wanted to have access to the city, but not be in it. i decided that if i have to live here for now (got relocated here from the beach), i need a small, historic town with character and atmosphere.

so, i chose the historic district of newnan. i love it. there are decent restaurants, a great bar (the alamo) and various other stores on the historic square. it's a dog-friendly area. people are exceptionally nice. running errands, whether by car or by foot, takes minutes not hours. most major retail boxes are here when i need them and i've found some great woods very nearby to tromp around in.

this area would never work if i had to work way north, but for my needs, it is was a great choice.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:10 AM

56 posts, read 163,791 times
(newnan is in coweta county)

Old 02-01-2009, 10:13 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
travelingtrainer - I am so glad you are still happy in Newnan. Sounds like you found the right place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta