Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 10:57 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,082,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Atlanta is very very very overrated! People think that Atlanta is the new ish, but it's not. There are cities in the US that are a whole lot better than Atlanta, and people miss out on these cities because they are so drawn to Atlanta. Personally, I've lived in Atlanta 3 years, and I liked it, but is was so overrated and BORING. There's nothing to do but shop. It's real nice! It's like a mega small town with big buildings and many internationals. I don't know why Atlanta is so overrated. Now, it makes me sick to even hear the word, ATLANTA. You can conclude that Atlanta is overrated because it's growing too much with people who just want to move there just to be there. I know alot of people who moved to Atlanta have moved back to there homestate because Atlanta just didn't fit them. They moved there because it stayed in the news. People need to see Atlanta for what it really is: a sprawling area that is very overrated for nothing! Atlanta's time for a big bust will come, and I want to see how overrated it will be then. Atlanta seems arrogant and seems like a bully to other cities who want to grow, such as Birmingham, Nashville, and others. It makes me sick to my stomach. Atlanta is taking all of other states and cities' people. States and cities are losing population to Atlanta. Sates and cities are losing jobs to Atlanta. Atlanta needs to stop picking on these states and ctites. Atlanta needs to grow up, stop being overrated, and pick on somebody it's own size!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I must admit that Atlanta is a nice place for black professionals and others. Is it a nice place for a good lifestyle or for a temporary stay? Is it a nice place where you want to raise a family? It is a nice place to live a nice sized home and a nice place for good paying jobs. Due to the traffic, crime, sprawl, and overration, is this a place where you want to live your whole life? Atlanta is nothing but a huge town with a big and busy airport and 14 lane interstates that still are filled up with traffic. WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY IS ATLANTA SO OVERRATED?
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 09:06 PM

23,318 posts, read 43,776,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!
No kidding...I'm so embarrassed for some people on this forum.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:51 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,399,771 times
Quote:
Atlanta is very very very overrated! People think that Atlanta is the new ish, but it's not. There are cities in the US that are a whole lot better than Atlanta, and people miss out on these cities because they are so drawn to Atlanta. Personally, I've lived in Atlanta 3 years, and I liked it, but is was so overrated and BORING. There's nothing to do but shop. It's real nice! It's like a mega small town with big buildings and many internationals. I don't know why Atlanta is so overrated. Now, it makes me sick to even hear the word, ATLANTA. You can conclude that Atlanta is overrated because it's growing too much with people who just want to move there just to be there. I know alot of people who moved to Atlanta have moved back to there homestate because Atlanta just didn't fit them. They moved there because it stayed in the news. People need to see Atlanta for what it really is: a sprawling area that is very overrated for nothing! Atlanta's time for a big bust will come, and I want to see how overrated it will be then. Atlanta seems arrogant and seems like a bully to other cities who want to grow, such as Birmingham, Nashville, and others. It makes me sick to my stomach. Atlanta is taking all of other states and cities' people. States and cities are losing population to Atlanta. Sates and cities are losing jobs to Atlanta. Atlanta needs to stop picking on these states and ctites. Atlanta needs to grow up, stop being overrated, and pick on somebody it's own size!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I must admit that Atlanta is a nice place for black professionals and others. Is it a nice place for a good lifestyle or for a temporary stay? Is it a nice place where you want to raise a family? It is a nice place to live a nice sized home and a nice place for good paying jobs. Due to the traffic, crime, sprawl, and overration, is this a place where you want to live your whole life? Atlanta is nothing but a huge town with a big and busy airport and 14 lane interstates that still are filled up with traffic. WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY IS ATLANTA SO OVERRATED?

Are you serious? Since when did Atlanta make decisions (as if it were a person)? You had me laughing with Atlanta picking on other cities, as if it were a bully .

You're complaining about it sprawling, then you say it needs to grow up..

Let me guess...too many beers? This is a sad, yet funny rant. That's why I want a Drug-Free America..

Old 07-26-2009, 02:54 PM

9 posts, read 27,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Virgo Child View Post
First off most people on this board don’t understand/ and or don’t like Atlanta's current seat on the Urban America throne. For some it’s hard to fathom how Atlanta went from what it was 35 years ago, to what it is now as far as urban culture. Others just don’t like to hear that Atlanta has become synonymous with Hip Hop, or just urban culture period. But anyway…..

You used Krunk, LOL!!! I have not heard that one in a while, actually the Krunk movement was here in the late 90’s; it just didn’t catch on nationally until a few years later; but as with all fads it’s dead and gone now. So you think Atlanta is overrated?? For us blacks this is a hustler’s city, there is no where else in the country a black man or woman can live and make the amount of money that you can here, as we say here on the streets- you get it how you live!!! You can be in a corporate job, music industry job, public service job, entrepreneur, or if you choose to do so you can get it in the streets ten toes down grinding, whatever or however you make your money there is an opportunity here for you!!!! I had a cousin who moved here from Detroit and she was saying the same thing, that Atlanta is overrated; I just thought she was lazy and waiting for a handout. IMO I feel the people who say that are the ones who came here thinking they would have a job or business venture fall out of the sky into their lap. When they find out they have to grind it out here they get mad and go home, point blank they are not hustlers and never will be; if you can’t make money here in Atlanta you’re just a lost cause. I have also heard that Atlanta blacks are arrogant, but we don’t care! Most of us in the black community here in the “A” are too ambitious to care about that stuff, bottom line here with us is money. Worrying about what someone else thinks is just feeding into the crab in the barrel mentality that affects so many of our people elsewhere all over this country. As far as the music scene here, it’s not that serious to us, I guess we have just gotten used to it. And as far as the homosexuals, we don’t really care about them either, most of them come here to go to Morehouse and they just end up staying (yeah Maroon Tigers I said it, that’s why I went to school out of state) plus they have their part of town, and I actually think they bring culture to Atlanta that we wouldn’t otherwise have. If anything thats good for a dude like me, it just means more of the ladies for me. Not to mention but I never got why people who say they are straight are always so worried about gay people!! IMO people who go around worried about that particular segment of America have some deep rooted Sub-conscious issues they need to look inward to solve. I live close to Midtown and a number of my neighbors are gay, but I dont care becaue Im not gay and gay people dont threaten me. Only people who arent secure in their own sexual orientation worry about stuff like that

You hit it right on the head! This is a hustler's state, that's what makes it challenging for most out of towners and an ego shock to those that comes ffrom other states and think they are hustlers to find out that they're skills need a lot of tunning! LOL Get it how you live and as for the Krunk "people don't dance no moe, all they do is " we leave all that head bangin to the ones that still live with their mothers and feel they have something to prove or are too young to be in the scene anyway. LOL

Old 07-26-2009, 03:06 PM

9 posts, read 27,472 times
Quote:

YOu are contridicting yourself. You say all of these great things about Atllanta, and even say that this si a place that you would want to settle down and spend the rest of your life. You say more positive things than bad, so if you feel this way think of all of the other people that think the same thing about being here. Atlanta is not for everybody. It will either make you or break you, but if you have a plan and a goal and arent living off of wishes alone then maybee you can survive and get you piece of the pie. NO, it is not overrated, it is what it is!

Old 07-26-2009, 10:08 PM

32 posts, read 80,481 times
This is just my opinion, but I personally think Atlanta is kinda overrated. I've been there 3 times and every time, I was bored within a day and a half. I just think the city is pretty bland, at least the parts I was in were. The traffic is HORRIBLE, and this was surprising to me since the city does have a decent network of roads around it. Why is the traffic so horrible on I-285 and I-20?

With it being a southern city, I was expecting the people to be friendly, as most southerners are. But I don't know if I was unlucky or what; most of the people I met in the Atlanta area and Georgia in general were rather rude, especially after they found out I was from the northeast. GET OVER THE FRIGGIN' CIVIL WAR ALREADY! Can you believe some of them actually wouldn't converse with me or my friend because we were from the northeast? How sad is that? I know not all of you are like that, but the few white trash rednecks who are give your city and state a bad name. Maybe these pieces of trash who think like this are the reason GA has one of the highest high school drop out rates from what I've heard.

Once outside the city, although it is growing, everything kinda looks the same........rather bland and boring in my opinion.

The city has just as much opportunity as any other major city, and its definitely growing, but I would pick many other cities over Atlanta, and almost any other state over Georgia any day. Its just my opinion, based on some very bad experiences in the city and state.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:34 PM

12,733 posts, read 21,640,273 times
I said I wouldn't want to spend the rest of my life in Atlanta. It's nice but boring! I'm contradicting myself. If I am, that's not what I meant!

Old 07-27-2009, 01:45 AM

24 posts, read 83,684 times
When people express disappointment it is because their expectations are not met..

The expectations of a new city are usually found in its

1. Financial opportunity
2. Relationship opportunity
3. Cultural and other diverse quality of life pleasures

1. Financially: We're in a recession.. Atlanta, like most cities, will disappoint in this area right now.. financial opportunity simply is not plentiful as it once was.. so the hustle mentality may have to be adopted.. but I've personally not known this to be the character of the city in more prosperous times.. no city hands out jobs.. but if any city were to be characterized by "hustling" then that essentially means it does not produce enough opportunity for its citzenry... But there are many companies (esp. manufacturing- which is economically corrective) bidding to come here.. so the financial landscape may change.. but from service to production...

2. Atlanta has an active gay community whose culture seems to dominate the image of black men in this town... this is somewhat true.. which means for many black women.. Atlanta WOULD be over rated as a place for a potential love connection... however, Morehouse and Midtown are not the bulk of Atlanta.. Prosperous black men are drawn to opportunity... see #1... and those that are already here are usually in relationships.. but this is indicative of the black community in most places.. except maybe Texas and Alaska... :-/ I can not speak for other cultures here..

3.Culture:

A. Atlanta's southern charm evaporated with Southern expats to other southern towns and the immigration of many northerner's tired of living expenses that were 80% of their income... they did not continue the tradition of southern charm already present here.. In addition, southern charm was usually cultivated among a smaller populous... which Atlanta no longer has... But Atlanta is still far less rude than other northern states.. with similar attraction... also "attitude" is highly subjective.. :-)

B. Atlanta has not developed accessible free/inexpensive activities for children/families..... but this will take a while and the environmental movement is trying to get a foothold here.. which will hopefully petition for the preservation of green space and hopefully the establishment of more nature centers... I would love more museums though.. :-)

Old 07-27-2009, 02:35 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,699,740 times
I spent a week out in Atlanta a couple of years ago and really loved it out there. Mind you I spent a bulk of my time play tourist, lol! But I was visiting a friend that move back to Atlanta after college. So I never felt a urge to go to Atlanta for any other reasons. I am not really into the Hip Hop culture that I hear so much about in Atlanta. But I enjoyed it there and felt very comfortable and at home there. As for being boring, I am not so sure. I don't live there so I can't really judge that. In Portland, OR there are lots to do with out spending money (like movies in the park, etc..). I have thought about moving to Atlanta but I am still stuck on if it was "wanderlust" when I was there or not. I love it out there but the big draw backs for me are Public Transportation and out the Economy right now.
I don't feel that Atlanta is overrated, but maybe if I was younger and into the hip-hop culture that I hear draws people to Atlanta, I would think differently. Maybe I am all wrong since I have spent only a week in Atlanta.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:40 PM

6 posts, read 27,587 times
Atlanta is a great city. I am originally fom the Caribbean islands, and I have resided in Philly befroe moving to Atlanta. This place IS the city of brotherly love. Great food, great weather, lots of entertainment. It is also a great place to raise children !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta