U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 06:32 AM

1,510 posts, read 3,243,655 times
I would not call Atlanta the NY of the South for some reasons. It has its own unique characteristics like any city (I've lived in many). But that being said I feel like Atlanta is the land of opportunity like Northern cities in past history. Atlanta is attracting many businesses (as well as other southern cities) because it is so much less expensive to have a business here as opposed to the NE and other well developed older areas. There is a well educated workforce available. Housing for transplants is generally less expensive than places like Philly, Boston, NYC etc. So Atlanta will continue to grow and attract top industries and people. In that respect it is like old NYC.
So perhaps the marketing take should be "Atlanta, the new land of Opportunity" or "Atlanta, Opportunity Knocks"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 09:18 AM

7,852 posts, read 12,010,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaday View Post
I would not call Atlanta the NY of the South for some reasons. It has its own unique characteristics like any city (I've lived in many). But that being said I feel like Atlanta is the land of opportunity like Northern cities in past history. Atlanta is attracting many businesses (as well as other southern cities) because it is so much less expensive to have a business here as opposed to the NE and other well developed older areas. There is a well educated workforce available. Housing for transplants is generally less expensive than places like Philly, Boston, NYC etc. So Atlanta will continue to grow and attract top industries and people. In that respect it is like old NYC.
So perhaps the marketing take should be "Atlanta, the new land of Opportunity" or "Atlanta, Opportunity Knocks"
I haven't actually heard anyone call Atlanta "The New York of the South" in many years...and even then it was an old nickname.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:37 AM

1,510 posts, read 3,243,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I haven't actually heard anyone call Atlanta "The New York of the South" in many years...and even then it was an old nickname.
I have actually never heard it called that but apparently the OP has. I was just giving my keen marketing insight .

Old 12-19-2008, 12:03 PM

625 posts, read 510,566 times
This thread made my weekend.

BUMP!

Old 12-19-2008, 12:10 PM

15,832 posts, read 18,502,857 times
I though Galveston was considered "The New York of the South".

Old 12-21-2008, 08:58 AM

16,249 posts, read 10,563,697 times
Atlanta has a fairly mild climate year around. Winters are not brutally cold here nor are summers that miserable like they are in Florida. Atlanta has very beautiful geography from mountains to the north to the plains on the south. Atlanta has reasonably priced housing unlike Florida. But, yes, we do have probably the worst traffic in the USA if not all of North America (maybe Mexico City is worse). But that is because of all the people that keep moving here- about 1000 everyday- because of all the good things we have. The only other thing is that taxes are fairly high here- about 6% on income and 9% sales. I would not mind it so much if we actually got the services for the taxes we pay.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:15 PM

2,776 posts, read 6,597,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Georgia's other state moniker is "The Empire State of the South" in addition to "The Peach State"

Old 12-21-2008, 06:35 PM

1,991 posts, read 2,158,758 times
Atlanta has most everything that any other city its size has. It has plenty of activities, a bustling downtown, an international feel (authentic cuisine and culture from around the globe), jobs, shopping- both inside and outside, and something a lot of cities its size don't have- affordability (comparative). I don't think it's overrated at all.

To me it's only drawbacks in comparison to various cities its size is that its growth was not planned, so there is a lot of sprawl and very little grid street layout except in the core- it's not a place, once you get outside of downtown, that you can easily use multiple street routes to get to a destination. That makes traffic problems even worse- everybody going the same way. Another big drawback compared to other cities its size are its lack of pedestrian/biking paths. These days as progressive cities are growing, pedestrian paths are becoming a HUGE focus because of the quality of life they bring. Example Dallas. Example Denver. And not just ones within a park, but ones connecting one part of the city to another. But you can get around that if you count Peachtree City, which some do commute from. Another drawback is the lack of a central water feature to capitalize on, like a river to build a riverwalk or a bay to build a baywalk or a lake to build a lakewalk (think Navy Pier Chicago on Lake Michigan). The Chattahoochee hasn't been used in that way and doesn't run through the center of town.

So as far as lifestyle, Atlanta has everything any major city has except a pedestrian focus, ample trails, a public waterwalk feature and the higher housing prices. It has great food, nightlife, parks, arts, festivals, jobs, and a bustling downtown. Now exactly how is all that overrated?

Old 12-23-2008, 03:49 AM

1,645 posts, read 1,481,398 times
Being from VA Beach you should love Atlanta. I was stationed at Langley in Hampton and it was absolutely boring up there. Clubs closes at 2am, the streets are clear at 230am. Only one good mall out of like five. Other states in the south such as VA, hates that Atlanta is doing so well. Atlanta is no NYC by any means and NYC is no Atlanta. But where in Virginia could you find a city that even had half of the things that Atlanta or NYC has to offer?

Old 12-23-2008, 04:44 AM

325 posts, read 623,134 times
Atlanta is just what has been called "the black mecca"...I don't think Atlanta is overrated, I just think people have certain expectations based on what they have heard. It's a relative, honestly. I LOVE Atlanta because I have yet to live in another city where you see sooo many successful blacks and affluent black neighborhoods. It's rare you find that at all, but that is what I appreciate about Atlanta. On a sour note, Atlanta also seems to attract and breed "wannabe" ballers. Those who might have a nice car, but drive home to their apt. or momma's house. Who make it rain in the club, but eventually have a mediocre retail job somewhere downtown. I think people worry to much in Atlanta about "keeping up with the Jone's" when it should simply be about doing better for yourself and your family. Who gives a F#%& what you drive, how much money you have, or what others think! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta