Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 01:45 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,641,799 times

Advertisements

Hindsight2020, no nerves hit. Your post was good...I was just curious of what you meant, thanks (I wasn't sure if you were a biondo e divertimento type of poster).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2008, 05:32 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,093,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
My point is that the last million people who moved to ATL did so with the idea of 1998 Atlanta, where you could go up and down 400 in half the time it now takes, where housing wasn't inflated due to the equity refugee exodus....good bad or indifferent that was the fundamental differences in the city in a mere 10 years. Back then it used to be a reasonable point to argue the affordability and traffic density of Atlanta versus Houston or DFW. Today that difference is non-existent yet people continue to tout ATL as if it still retained the qualities that made it more affordable than Houston/DFW and attracted said million plus people. ironically such population growth removed the aforementioned qualities as the basic economic principle of diminishing marginal returns would obviously point to. Feel free to disagree I was just stating an opinion, and for frame of reference I resided in Atlanta from 1998 to 2001 and saw it swell up and become undesirable in a mere decade, which is rather fast for a metro area....... didn't mean to hit a nerve if one or many of the posters are equity refugees or New England/California transplants.....
Atlanta is still desirable thats why people are still constantly moving here

Old 12-25-2008, 08:40 PM

23 posts, read 74,291 times
Atlanta is great if your black AND gay(and im gay so no im NOT being offensive, just truthful).There does seem to be a large amount of illegal immigrants there too. It would be nice to find an "Atlanta" of sorts in NYC...is there one?

Last edited by tlhead; 12-25-2008 at 08:43 PM.. Reason: forgot

Old 12-25-2008, 09:01 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,199,793 times
I think it's funny how so many Black people think that Atlanta is the Land of Milk and Honey. Fact of the matter is that what you have in Atlanta is a relatively small segment of the population who are very well off, and a very large segment of the population who are pretty much hopeless. Add typically bad public school system and what you have is pretty much the situation for Black Americans in a lot of other cities, only less depressing and with more opportunity.

If you're looking for cities in which there is actually a relatively large Black middle class, they exist. They just are rarely ever as hyped. And maybe the people there prefer it that way.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:07 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
First of all Atlanta is no "New York City of the South" because that title goes to Miami!
There is a reason they call us the Sixth Borough.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
I think it's funny how so many Black people think that Atlanta is the Land of Milk and Honey. Fact of the matter is that what you have in Atlanta is a relatively small segment of the population who are very well off, and a very large segment of the population who are pretty much hopeless. Add typically bad public school system and what you have is pretty much the situation for Black Americans in a lot of other cities, only less depressing and with more opportunity.

If you're looking for cities in which there is actually a relatively large Black middle class, they exist. They just are rarely ever as hyped. And maybe the people there prefer it that way.

This is so untrue man And know one said it was Land of milk and Honey but there are alot of wealthy blacks here man Please dont make untrue comments like that. You dont see what i see man while i have been living in ATL for 5 years but hey its your opinion dude so live on with that one

Old 12-25-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
First of all Atlanta is no "New York City of the South" because that title goes to Miami!

I am from miami and i have never heard this. And it seems like this thread is about to become a bashing thread Just let Atlanta be atlanta. we will know the success of this city in the upoming years strangely though it has surpassed miami in numbers

Old 12-25-2008, 09:19 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Miami and 'The South' are mutually exclusive terms.
The sixth borough of where? Caracas?

Old 12-25-2008, 09:35 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,199,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
This is so untrue man And know one said it was Land of milk and Honey but there are alot of wealthy blacks here man Please dont make untrue comments like that. You dont see what i see man while i have been living in ATL for 5 years but hey its your opinion dude so live on with that one
There are a lot of wealthy Black people there.

Does seeing a few rich Black folks assuage your concern about the unprecedented income inequality that continues to show no sign of closing? I'm beginning to think that is the draw of so many to Atlanta based on this. Seeing rich Black people makes America feel good and allows America to forget that it is merely a drop in the bucket.

I'm not bashing. I'm just trying to get you to look at this with a little perspective.

And by the way, Atlanta is not the NYC of the south. NYC is a world class city. Atlanta is a regional city. There's nothing wrong with that, but the two don't compare. New York is Rome in a way that no other city in America has both the history and dominance to be.

Old 12-25-2008, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
There are a lot of wealthy Black people there.

Does seeing a few rich Black folks assuage your concern about the unprecedented income inequality that continues to show no sign of closing? I'm beginning to think that is the draw of so many to Atlanta based on this. Seeing rich Black people makes America feel good and allows America to forget that it is merely a drop in the bucket.

I'm not bashing. I'm just trying to get you to look at this with a little perspective.

And by the way, Atlanta is not the NYC of the south. NYC is a world class city. Atlanta is a regional city. There's nothing wrong with that, but the two don't compare. New York is Rome in a way that no other city in America has both the history and dominance to be.

I guess growing up in Miami you dont see so many afrian amerians owning there own buisnesses are running just about the whole entire city and i guess i being black am glad to see that blacks are doing very well when you think of our history and where we came from and overcame its a good feeling and i am proud to be part of what is going on in atlanta. Its good to see lots of young people between the ages of 23 and 29 buying houses and making good money and there educated. Thats all no one never likes to talk about the good things atlanta has to offer everyone on these forums only dwell on negative
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta