U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 01:27 PM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,076,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post

3. A large cross or christ monument on the water works hill. We're in the bible belt.
You have some good ideas, but I would definitely be opposed to tax money being spent on religious imagery, especially a symbol that is associated with one religion. Let the churches and religious congregations pay for something like that.

I don't know how it would make sense to have a monument espousing religious harmony on one side of town (your example #2) and then a huge cross a couple miles down the street, but no icons for other religions anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 01:39 PM

341 posts, read 1,220,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Here are large grand monuments Atlanta that should build (and we should do all of them...located in strategic points in the center city)

1. A large Phoenix on a very tall tower pyre with a nightly blaze...located near Sweet Auburn (just to the east of downtown...away enough to be distinct but also overlooking it)

2. Large Hands reaching towards the sky (representing religious harmony and human rights). Located near where 41 and 78 cross. Illuminated

3. A large cross or christ monument on the water works hill. We're in the bible belt.

4. Three Maidens of the American South. Talk statues. Site to be determined.

5. A large tower clock. The U.S. doesn't have one.

6. A very large/tall symbolic fountain.

7. A Southern Wheel.

8. Southern heroes/historical figures along Freedom Parkway in Freedom Park.

9. The Tower of the American South...built just southwest of downtown...symbolic, a monument of Southern success/unity

10. A much bigger Buck Head in the heart of Buckhead.

There a more ideas, but have to go now...and I'm tired...

Dude, Iím not blowing smoke up your arse, but those are some really, really good ideas. When I saw the one about the Phoenix statue in the sweet Auburn area, I just got a really descriptive picture in my head of what that would look like. IMO that would be an amazing site especially sitting on the downtown connector at dusk and for people new to the city that image would be an enduring image in their heads as well.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:57 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 2,990,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
i was just offering examples because you (or someone, maybe it wasn't you) asked. There are plenty of important and renowned landmarks on a smaller scale than the examples i offered.

No one expects atlanta to build another great wall of china, but since all ideas are ridiculed, and most are pathetic copy-catting, i propose our new landmark be a giant jackass.
lmao

Old 12-11-2008, 05:52 PM

13,600 posts, read 22,053,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
You have some good ideas, but I would definitely be opposed to tax money being spent on religious imagery, especially a symbol that is associated with one religion. Let the churches and religious congregations pay for something like that.

I don't know how it would make sense to have a monument espousing religious harmony on one side of town (your example #2) and then a huge cross a couple miles down the street, but no icons for other religions anywhere.
Thanks, man (or girl).

Yes, I never mention how everything would be funded. The cross/christ would have to be private initiative or gift...it could happen though.

Second thing...Atlanta could definitely have monuments having vastly different purposes--that's what a true city is...a meeting of different lifestyles, cultures, religions, etc....just mixin' it up. Think about it...Las Vegas...city of sin with a very large Mormon population. Rio de Janeiro...the Christ statue overlooking a South America's sin city. Atlanta is all about dichotomy...the birthplace of the modern Klan and the birthplace of MLK. A prosperous black middle-class, but overall very segregated metro area.

The Christ statue would symbolize Atlanta's/the South's past and present chrisitian/bible belt roots (you don't want to alienate this critical element of Southern culture...and Atl is the capital of their south too)...while the hands is the bridge to Atl's human/civil rights legacy. Another religion with a major monument wouldn't make sense since there is no major legacy here (even though I think a Museum of the Southern Jew would be great in Atlanta...but there's already one in Mississippi...in Oxford I believe).

Old 12-11-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Virgo Child View Post
Dude, Iím not blowing smoke up your arse, but those are some really, really good ideas. When I saw the one about the Phoenix statue in the sweet Auburn area, I just got a really descriptive picture in my head of what that would look like. IMO that would be an amazing site especially sitting on the downtown connector at dusk and for people new to the city that image would be an enduring image in their heads as well.
Thank you as well.

The Giant Phoenix is my favorite...

And for the record, in my idea list in the previous post about the three maidens, it should say Tall Statues, not "Talk!"

Last edited by aries4118; 12-11-2008 at 06:30 PM..

Old 12-11-2008, 08:13 PM

16 posts, read 52,014 times
-Less car
+People walking in the streets after 8pm

Old 12-12-2008, 01:12 PM

35 posts, read 117,516 times
How about a 2nd airport? Like Dallas has Love Field in addition to D/FW Intl. Maybe Southwest and jetBlue could fly there. I'm not sure where around the metro area to put it, though.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:26 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,159,739 times
The NIMBY's would have an absolute meltdown if there was ever a half-way serious proposal for a second airport. Trust me.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:26 PM

8,862 posts, read 14,847,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubvjt View Post
How about a 2nd airport? Like Dallas has Love Field in addition to D/FW Intl. Maybe Southwest and jetBlue could fly there. I'm not sure where around the metro area to put it, though.
I've forgotten but this has been discussed. IIRC, some theorize that the north metro area will continue to grow and another airport should be placed there. Otherwise, I think there would be land available to the west.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubvjt View Post

I think a 2nd airport would be better east in the I-20 corridor (there's land). It would benefit Atlanta and the rest of GA more (Athens, Augusta, Macon).

An airport to the west would benefit Alabama too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or