U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 07:19 AM

8,862 posts, read 14,775,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTia View Post
From what I gather from brief visits:
Some Palm trees or a little more tropical landscape among all the trees or more a variety of them.
More Parks
Man made beach like the have in Phoenix.
I heard that one can visit the Sea Islands? for beaches?
oh yeah more sidewalks. Many elderly people complain about this
Better transportation.
There was a recent discussion on palm trees and I believe someone mentioned there are palm trees near Piedmont Rd, possibly Miami Circle.

There are varieties of palm trees that will grow here but the climate may not be conducive to tropical landscaping.

There are a number of lakes in GA and some very nice recreation areas, FWIW.

Yes--you can visit Sea Island--and the Golden Isles--the Atlantic coast with barrier islands including Tybee Island, Savannah, GA; Jekyll Island, St. Simon's Island, St. Mary's, Cumberland Island and Sea Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 07:25 AM

625 posts, read 936,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingtrainer View Post
Uh. No. The problem is Atlanta's failure to match population growth with infrastructure growth.
I would reword that to say the problem is Atlanta's failure to provide infrastructure for the CURRENT populations 30 YEARS AGO.

Jesus Christ people, you need to stop letting people move here, you're digging your own grave.

This ain't LA, BS, doesn't even come close, LA has a much better highway/streets system.

Atlanta will always be second rate LA, now that's pretty sad.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:46 AM

4,688 posts, read 6,589,117 times
- more rail options
- 4am last call
- more museums

Old 12-19-2008, 10:00 AM

52 posts, read 183,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolyfett View Post
Water.
I was thinking the same thing when I moved here. A few man-made lakes with some local attractions surrounding it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
One more...

-A media corridor stretching from Five Points up along Marietta Street to the vicinity of CNN Center. The Weather Channel, the various Turner Channels, and other cable channels would relocate there. They would have visible studios and big screens displaying the channels...24-hours a day. CNN would embrace its "Atlanta-ness" more.
Yep. Create neon and flashy billboards and have areas where tourists can congregate and shop. Or build a Rockerfeller Plaza-type of structure, but centered more around the news channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
What I'd like to see in Atlanta...

1) I'd like to see strict enforcement of the anti-panhandling laws downtown.

2) I'd like to see a man-made "river", similar to Riverwalk in San Antonio, lined with restaurants and attractions.

3) Commuter rail to the suburbs with AM, mid-day, and PM service.

4) A ban of anyone from the Bravo network ever being allowed to film another season of "The Real Housewives of Atlanta" here ever again.

5) A "fresh seafood" restaurant next to the Georgia Aquarium, just to freak out the tourists.
I agree with everything you posted, expect about the Real Housewives. If anything, we should have MORE shows centered around Atlanta. Maybe not so much around the bafoonery-type shows.... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
Atlanta needs well-defined, close-knit neighborhoods of different cultures. Chinatown, Little Italy, a German area, etc. Right now, these areas are WAY TOO FAR out. They need to be concentrated in the downtown/Midtown/Buckhead area and serviced by MARTA.
Maybe not around Buckhead, but a few of these would be fun. Maybe not an entire community but instead build tourist attractions that have restaurants and other type of ethic tourist things to do.

Old 12-20-2008, 03:02 AM

11,319 posts, read 22,401,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondandfun View Post
Jesus Christ people, you need to stop letting people move here, you're digging your own grave.
How would you propose that should be done? At gunpoint?

Old 12-20-2008, 09:01 AM

7,848 posts, read 18,204,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
How would you propose that should be done? At gunpoint?
There isn't a city anywhere that limits people from moving in...there are many cities where people don't want to move, but no city stops new residents from relocating.

Old 12-21-2008, 01:06 AM

1,975 posts, read 3,128,877 times
I'm okay with the idea of the interstates going underground or a double decker. Folks with cars that live in the burbs and work in the city will drive no matter what..unless in 2039 all the freeways are gridlocked lol!

Plant more trees like yesterday.
Clean up downtown.
Drink alcohol on Sundays
24hr downtown/midtown/buckhead? like a (world class city)
Synchronize Red Lights (all metro atlanta)
Repave-Redo all metro streets, streetmarkings
Street Lamps (all metro)

Can't think of anything else right now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or