U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 12-10-2008, 10:51 PM
 
Location: ATL suburb
1,366 posts, read 3,687,557 times
Reputation: 1548

Advertisements

Quote:
Just in case people don't know...look at what has happened to the little exurb of Suwanee in recent years.
Great pics! One thing those pictures don't show is the neighborhood with (I think) single family houses behind all of those shops. There is similar new higher density housing going up around downtown (LOL!) Duluth too.

Last edited by anadyr21; 12-10-2008 at 10:54 PM.. Reason: had an oops
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-11-2008, 12:23 AM
 
2,758 posts, read 4,914,453 times
Reputation: 1114
I would like to see Fulton just become nothing but super-built up city. Please no man made lakes because that would make ATL seem like it wants to become Baltimore, Philly, or Boston city wise. Atlanta should just focus on itself and continue the natural transition from small town to big city (ATL city limits are small). I don't want to see Atlanta have ethnic hoods because that's not real diversty, instead I want to different cultures all-around being themself and not thinking about that stuff. Off course I hope our many transit companies put their heads together and do us Atlanta residents a favor and give us a safe alternate for getting around. I've also been thinking about our interstate system, we should tunnel it and use the space for making our town look better (the area around Turner Field would look better too). Well, time to stop dreaming while awake and get some sleep.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2008, 01:57 AM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,235,914 times
Reputation: 2780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
I would like to see Fulton just become nothing but super-built up city. Please no man made lakes because that would make ATL seem like it wants to become Baltimore, Philly, or Boston city wise. Atlanta should just focus on itself and continue the natural transition from small town to big city (ATL city limits are small). I don't want to see Atlanta have ethnic hoods because that's not real diversty, instead I want to different cultures all-around being themself and not thinking about that stuff. Off course I hope our many transit companies put their heads together and do us Atlanta residents a favor and give us a safe alternate for getting around. I've also been thinking about our interstate system, we should tunnel it and use the space for making our town look better (the area around Turner Field would look better too). Well, time to stop dreaming while awake and get some sleep.
Agreed...ethnic neighborhoods are really a thing of the past...people don't actually need to live among their own in 2008 as much as they once did, so we really aren't going to see much of that kind of ethnic area like they have in the segregated cities of the northeast.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2008, 05:12 AM
 
13,466 posts, read 21,945,529 times
Reputation: 4513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
I would like to see Fulton just become nothing but super-built up city. Please no man made lakes because that would make ATL seem like it wants to become Baltimore, Philly, or Boston city wise. Atlanta should just focus on itself and continue the natural transition from small town to big city (ATL city limits are small). I don't want to see Atlanta have ethnic hoods because that's not real diversty, instead I want to different cultures all-around being themself and not thinking about that stuff. Off course I hope our many transit companies put their heads together and do us Atlanta residents a favor and give us a safe alternate for getting around. I've also been thinking about our interstate system, we should tunnel it and use the space for making our town look better (the area around Turner Field would look better too). Well, time to stop dreaming while awake and get some sleep.
Exactly! We're trying to make a better Atlanta...not just a carbon copy of other American cities. It's amazing when some people suggest things for our city...as if they want Atlanta to not be Atlanta.

Later, I will list Atlanta ideas, Part III...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2008, 07:51 AM
 
8,862 posts, read 14,805,673 times
Reputation: 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Yeah, but can you imagine what a charley foxtrot that will be? After all, this is a city that wound up with one of the worst Olympic mascots of modern times. Even the Aquarium had to rip off Disney with 'Deepo' as a mascot. BTW, anyone know how they got away with that? Usually Disney is very protective of their copyright.
I was confused--what could Izzie have to do with this thread? I thought it was cute--the reasoning behind Izzie was sound considering the enormous amount of criticism the Atlanta Games generated. FWIW, I loved the banners.

IIRC, the Games that followed Atlanta--2000, 2004--Australia and Japan did have better mascots. FWIW.

So I went back and read the posts--you are responding to Aries' comment that Atlanta needs a distinctive landmark.

I haven't thought of anything myself--but wish we had something. knowing that even if we managed to construct something really interesting people would still say, 'Atlanta thinks too well of itself--trying to imitate NYC, Boston, LA or insert world class city of your choice.'


Those pics are great and I had honestly forgotten we had such a good collection of landmarks. Fingers crossed that something can be done to publicize what Atlanta does have.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2008, 07:55 AM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
22,811 posts, read 34,861,948 times
Reputation: 14949
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Atlanta needs something bigger, much grander.
Exactly...my point was that we need a monument on a really grand scale, something you would see as you approach the city.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2008, 08:14 AM
JPD
 
12,159 posts, read 15,032,011 times
Reputation: 7906
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
I was confused--what could Izzie have to do with this thread? I thought it was cute--the reasoning behind Izzie was sound considering the enormous amount of criticism the Atlanta Games generated. FWIW, I loved the banners.

I think Izzie is relevant to this thread. What I'd like to see in Atlanta is enough creativity to come up with mascots, songs and promotional imagery for high profile events (or for the city in general) that aren't embarassing. Let's not forget, before it was "Izzie", it was "WhatIsIt?". Even the people that made it up didn't know what it was, or what image they were trying to present on behalf of Atlanta to the rest of the world.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2008, 08:18 AM
 
13,466 posts, read 21,945,529 times
Reputation: 4513
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Exactly...my point was that we need a monument on a really grand scale, something you would see as you approach the city.
Yep...you're so on point, sistah.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2008, 08:22 AM
 
8,862 posts, read 14,805,673 times
Reputation: 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I think Izzie is relevant to this thread. What I'd like to see in Atlanta is enough creativity to come up with mascots, songs and promotional imagery for high profile events (or for the city in general) that aren't embarassing. Let's not forget, before it was "Izzie", it was "WhatIsIt?". Even the people that made it up didn't know what it was, or what image they were trying to present on behalf of Atlanta to the rest of the world.

LOL--the Atlanta Games will always be a controversial topic, I suppose.
Izzy (mascot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

A question mark seemed appropriate.

Now that you mention it--Atlanta has never had a good PR campaign. We should get one.
Not likely that another 'New York, New York' will be written/performed with such gusto but there is always hope. Glad to have 'Moon River' and 'Georgia on My Mind'.

I know I would like to see a 'monument' to possibilities and progress. And I guess we have that in Hartsfield-Jackson airport?

Last edited by TakeAhike; 12-11-2008 at 08:37 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2008, 08:34 AM
JPD
 
12,159 posts, read 15,032,011 times
Reputation: 7906
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
LOL--the Atlanta Games will always be a controversial topic, I suppose.
Izzy (mascot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

A question mark seemed appropriate.

Compared to what New Yorkers and others think about the 911 memorials I suppose that will never change.

That link doesn't work. What controversy existed at the time the mascot was unvelied which would make a question mark appropriate?

I was able to find the backstory on Izzy on another website. Apparently, he was a shape-shifting being that lived in a universe inside the olympic torch. Any kid in kindergarten could come up with a better idea than that.

So, let's keep track:

Izzy
"Every day is an opening day"
"The city too busy to hate"
"The ATL, Yo" (or whatever the name of that terrible Atlanta theme song was a few years ago)

Not a good track record. I propose Atlanta stop trying to promote itself until it can figure out exactly what it's trying to promote.

As evidenced by all the nice monuments and things that people have posted photos of on this thread, there ARE things worth promoting in Atlanta. Unfortunately, we tend to play up the lamest aspects of the city.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top