U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-11-2008, 12:26 PM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
23,127 posts, read 35,085,706 times
Reputation: 15343

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Apparently millions of people disagreed with you about that song...

Do you really expect Atlanta to build an Eifel Tower or a Gateway Arch? Something of that magnitude in Atlanta would simply draw ridicule from residents...and from other cities. Look at the criticism aimed at the Millennium Gate...Atlantans could have embraced it and really made a big deal about it, but most of the comments I've heard have been negative.

I didn't recognize the Bunker Hill Monument - that certainly isn't on the same scale as the others.
Not necessarily...did the Gateway Arch or the Space Needle generate ridicule among the citizens of their respective cities?
I would propose a competition among design students in metro schools to come with something, much the same as was done for the Vietnam Memorial. If it were done right, it could be amazing...and I'd love to get a jump on Houston and Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-11-2008, 12:29 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA (Dunwoody)
2,047 posts, read 3,967,698 times
Reputation: 959
Quote:
I hope we can resolve the water crisis and then build something spectacular.

Growth, research--moving forward. That's a good identity.
It wouldn't necessarily be particularly complicated. Probably just crazy expensive. Hire some Nobel genius who's been studying water for 50 years, give him a google of money and let him have at it. Giving the fact that many of our major cities have similar water problems it should pay for itself in no time. It just requires a government that actually has good sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2008, 12:35 PM
 
8,862 posts, read 14,849,216 times
Reputation: 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Not necessarily...did the Gateway Arch or the Space Needle generate ridicule among the citizens of their respective cities?
I would propose a competition among design students in metro schools to come with something, much the same as was done for the Vietnam Memorial. If it were done right, it could be amazing...and I'd love to get a jump on Houston and Dallas.
The Memorial to Flight 93 is one of the best--from what I've read/seen online.
Flight 93 National Memorial (U.S. National Park Service)

Something incorporating music/sound and water would be interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2008, 12:38 PM
 
2,758 posts, read 4,925,646 times
Reputation: 1114
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
It wouldn't necessarily be particularly complicated. Probably just crazy expensive. Hire some Nobel genius who's been studying water for 50 years, give him a google of money and let him have at it. Giving the fact that many of our major cities have similar water problems it should pay for itself in no time. It just requires a government that actually has good sense.
I'm pretty ignorant on this point but shouldn't Atlanta take advantage of the schools in the metro area (GTech, some HBCUs, Emory, GSU, etc) to help with our water problems? I don't know, they probably already work with them to better the area from the science, environment, etc standpoint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2008, 12:41 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA (Dunwoody)
2,047 posts, read 3,967,698 times
Reputation: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
I'm pretty ignorant on this point but shouldn't Atlanta take advantage of the schools in the metro area (GTech, some HBCUs, Emory, GSU, etc) to help with our water problems? I don't know, they probably already work with them to better the area from the science, environment, etc standpoint.
Makes perfectly good sense. I'm sure someone has some ideas, if they don't maybe the city (or some corporate entity) could start a foundation or finance a "water chair" to give them money to study the problem. Then implement the best ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2008, 12:49 PM
 
13,602 posts, read 22,056,348 times
Reputation: 4618
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
As I recall, and I was only tangentially associated with the Games on the Birmingham end, it was thought that peaches and peanuts were too agricultural. Agriculture=Slavery/Jim Crow. Apparently people still saw Atlanta from a Jim Crow perspective and they didn't want to do anything associated with that. They wanted something more focused on the future. Unfortunately, since the city is not associated with one industry, or even one historical moment not involved with slavery/Civil Rights they were pretty much stuck.

I always thought of Atlanta as 'The City That Wouldn't Die,' but of course, that's a Civil War reference as well. I think it's foolish to try to disassociate themselves from such a pivotal moment in American history, but then that's probably why I suck at P.R.
For the Olympics, I thought Atlanta should have had the Paralympics mascot (the phoenix "Blaze") or a tree.

They could have done so much with a tree mascot theme (environmental, a cast of supporting tree characters-for cartooning/children, etc.). And the tree totally represents Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2008, 12:57 PM
 
13,602 posts, read 22,056,348 times
Reputation: 4618
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Respectfully, I take exception to that type of generalization--'Atlanta seems to have a habit of trying to mimic others, rather than carving out its own identity.'

It has been called 'The Gateway to the South'--and if we built an arch --I suppose we'd hear from St. Louis and San Francisco. Other's call Atlanta 'The Athens of the South'--and even more disgruntled opinions if we ever attempted to build a faux Acropolis.

'The Emerald City'-- maybe we should just go with that and let the trees speak for themselves. Simple and basic.

A while back someone suggested replacing the glass tiles in the building that was damaged by a tornado last year with a pine tree design in glass. That might be the best idea yet?
Good points.
Atlanta has an identity...it's just afraid or doesn't know how to embrace it.

Atlanta's identity...

-Trees/urban forest
-capital of the south
-gateway to the south
-civil rights
-civil war
-center of southern culture/history (needs to claim/become this...totally has potential)
-the urban manifestation of "southerness/southern culture"
-Center for R+B/Hip Hop
-Center for African-American Culture
-Transportation

Atlanta also already has some nicknames, slogans that it needs to promote...

-City of Trees
-City in a Forest
-Gate City
-Dogwood City


I think a slogan that Atlanta needs to use in advertising is...

"Urban Brilliance, Southern Style."

"Urban Brilliance--Southern Style!"

"Urban Brilliance...Southern Style!"


There is already one out there that I think is pretty good...I saw it on Delta...I think it was implemented after the every day/opening day mess.

"City Lights, Southern Nights." Not bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2008, 12:59 PM
 
13,602 posts, read 22,056,348 times
Reputation: 4618
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
How many people recognize Vulcan as symbol of Birmingham outside of Alabama??? Very few.

Atlanta's identity is the Civil Rights Movement, the Olympics, the Civil War/Battle of Atlanta/burning of Atlanta, its international corporate headquarters, etc., etc., etc...there are lots of strong identities with this city.

All of those monuments I posted photos of earlier...there were tons of tourist photos among the ones I looked through - so I think maybe visitors are more familiar with icons and landmarks in Atlanta than the residents.
Considering B-ham's small size...a lot of people recognize the Vulcan as the symbol of B-ham!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2008, 01:09 PM
 
13,602 posts, read 22,056,348 times
Reputation: 4618
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Not necessarily...did the Gateway Arch or the Space Needle generate ridicule among the citizens of their respective cities?
I would propose a competition among design students in metro schools to come with something, much the same as was done for the Vietnam Memorial. If it were done right, it could be amazing...and I'd love to get a jump on Houston and Dallas.
Here are large grand monuments Atlanta that should build (and we should do all of them...located in strategic points in the center city)

1. A large Phoenix on a very tall tower pyre with a nightly blaze...located near Sweet Auburn (just to the east of downtown...away enough to be distinct but also overlooking it)

2. Large Hands reaching towards the sky (representing religious harmony and human rights). Located near where 41 and 78 cross. Illuminated

3. A large cross or christ monument on the water works hill. We're in the bible belt.

4. Three Maidens of the American South. Talk statues. Site to be determined.

5. A large tower clock. The U.S. doesn't have one.

6. A very large/tall symbolic fountain.

7. A Southern Wheel.

8. Southern heroes/historical figures along Freedom Parkway in Freedom Park.

9. The Tower of the American South...built just southwest of downtown...symbolic, a monument of Southern success/unity

10. A much bigger Buck Head in the heart of Buckhead.

There a more ideas, but have to go now...and I'm tired...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2008, 01:16 PM
 
8,862 posts, read 14,849,216 times
Reputation: 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Good points.
Atlanta has an identity...it's just afraid or doesn't know how to embrace it.

Atlanta's identity...

-Trees/urban forest
-capital of the south
-gateway to the south
-civil rights
-civil war
-center of southern culture/history (needs to claim/become this...totally has potential)
-the urban manifestation of "southerness/southern culture"
-Center for R+B/Hip Hop
-Center for African-American Culture
-Transportation

Atlanta also already has some nicknames, slogans that it needs to promote...

-City of Trees
-City in a Forest
-Gate City
-Dogwood City


I think a slogan that Atlanta needs to use in advertising is...

"Urban Brilliance, Southern Style."

"Urban Brilliance--Southern Style!"

"Urban Brilliance...Southern Style!"


There is already one out there that I think is pretty good...I saw it on Delta...I think it was implemented after the every day/opening day mess.

"City Lights, Southern Nights." Not bad.
I like that.

You have some good ideas--I know we've got quite a few people capable of designing and implementing these ideas.

Transportation, moving--that should be included,too. Which makes me wish something could be done to make Underground part of this iconic structure. 'The Past'/Underground and The Future on top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:25 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top