Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2008, 11:26 PM

5 posts, read 10,630 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, it seems like a great community here and I wanted to see if I get get some helpful feedback from you all.

I am about to graduate from Auburn Universtiy and have accepted a job in Atlanta. I'm an outside field sales representative and my general area is East Atlanta (Decatur, Stone Mountain, Lilburn). I am engaged to be married in June. I start my job in January and have no clue as for what to expect in Atlanta in terms of money. I've always heard to dedicate about 1/3 of monthly net income toward rent and utilities. This figures to be right around $800 or so a month. Is 1/3 roughly the standard for Atlanta? I'm also given a company car which pays for gas, insurance, and maintenance so will have a good bit of flexibility. However we are trying to save, while living comfortably in order to by an investment property in the near future. I'm willing to negotiate on the percentage to rent if I find that the norm is higher. As long as it does not risk my financial security of course.

I have searched a good amount of the databases and used an apartment rating website (not sure if I'm allowed to post links) to try an find a suitable apartment. But it is pretty tough going in the $700 range. It looks like there are some pretty nice options in the Stone Mountain area, but I have no idea on the specifics of the area. Is it safe? Is it easily accessible to the highway? Is it boring? Lithonia is another area I was looking at. Any information at all is appreciated.

So my first broad question is, what are some affordable, SAFE, apartment complexes East of Atlanta. Living in the center of the city is not a priority. Easy access to I285 would be a benefit and also semi-close to GSU where my fiance will be attending graduate school next fall. While not being too picky, we would rather drive an extra 10 minutes a day if it meant we could be in a nicer apartment. 1 bedroom or 2 in case of family or friends spending the weekend.

Some other various questions if anyone felt so inclined to answer. I would appreciate it greatly.

1. What can I expect to pay in terms of utilities?
2. What are the highest traffic times from say 7am to 7pm in the areas from Forest Park to Norcross to Snellville (imagine a triangle)?
3. Has the economic recession affected the prices of rent and homes, or is Atlanta "recession-proof?"
4. What other important costs should I keep in mind when creating a budget?
5. Any other advice, I would gladly accept!
6. Can anyone recommend a good Catholic church in the East Atlanta area, that has a good social network?

Thank you so much in advance to all the posters on this site. I am sure I have much to learn from all of you. If you need any further information, please don't hesitate to ask!

Duffy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 06:29 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,476,619 times
[quote=duffyrn;6512606] [b]I'm an outside field sales representative and my general area is East Atlanta (Decatur, Stone Mountain, Lilburn). $800 or so a month. But it is pretty tough going in the $700 range. It looks like there are some pretty nice options in the Stone Mountain area, but I have no idea on the specifics of the area. Is it safe? Is it easily accessible to the highway? Is it boring? Lithonia is another area I was looking at. Any information at all is appreciated.
So my first broad question is, what are some affordable, SAFE, apartment complexes East of Atlanta. Living in the center of the city is not a priority. Easy access to I285 would be a benefit and also semi-close to GSU where my fiance will be attending graduate school next fall. While not being too picky, we would rather drive an extra 10 minutes a day if it meant we could be in a nicer apartment. 1 bedroom or 2 in case of family or friends spending the weekend.

Duffy--

I don't know much about 'East Atlanta'--but NE Atlanta could be an option to consider--the area known as the Emory Corridor, from around N. Druid Hills Rd/easy access to I85 and other alternative routes/central location in other words.
N. Druid Hills runs E-W and it is generally about 30 minutes to the Stone Mountain/I285 area--several posters will have more specific FYI on that. This area is a good place to live to commute to GA State--MARTA accessible. It is one of the safer areas and a good number of young professionals are living here.
Arbor Hills Apartments on N. Druid Hills Rd has a 2 Bdr floor plan in your price range. IIRC, this complex was built in the 90's--the location would work for both of you.

Tucker/Northlake is another area to consider.

You might contact ProMove apartment locator service.

~~~~
Some other various questions if anyone felt so inclined to answer. I would appreciate it greatly.
2. What are the highest traffic times from say 7am to 7pm in the areas from Forest Park to Norcross to Snellville (imagine a triangle)?
-You would be going across the city and traffic patterns vary--there is a lull from about 10 AM-3PM in some areas. Others can provide specifics.
3. Has the economic recession affected the prices of rent and homes, or is Atlanta "recession-proof?"
-Others will clarify--the housing market has been deeply affected.
6. Can anyone recommend a good Catholic church in the East Atlanta area, that has a good social network?
-If you move to the North Druid Hills area there is a Catholic church, Immaculate Heart of Mary on Briarcliff Rd.
http://atlanta.citysearch.com/yellow...386/page1.html

hth

Last edited by TakeAhike; 12-11-2008 at 06:54 AM..

Old 12-11-2008, 08:54 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,286,784 times
I would look in the Avondale area. Avondale has a Marta station (and it's only one stop from Decatur), so it'd be easy for your spouse to get to GSU. It's very close to I-285 and is not far from Stone Mountain or Lilburn, so it'd be pretty ideal for you, as well.

I can't vouch for the prices or security, but the location is about as good as you'll find considering where you and your spouse will be spending your time.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:01 AM

Thank you so much for your quick response and all of your helpful information. I greatly appreciate it. I'll be in Atlanta a little of this week and next searching, so I'll keep North East Atlanta in mind. Thank you again for the info!

Old 12-11-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffyrn View Post
Thank you so much for your quick response and all of your helpful information. I greatly appreciate it. I'll be in Atlanta a little of this week and next searching, so I'll keep North East Atlanta in mind. Thank you again for the info!
You would probably really enjoy being close to Decatur--many 20-30 somethings, diverse and lots to see and do--a walkable community.

You might actually find a 'deal' of some kind--condo to rent or townhouse in Decatur.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:17 AM

Thanks, I just send my info to Promove. It looks like they offer a great service. I would love to try and find a condo or apartment that is rented out by a private owner who bought at the wrong time and is just sitting on it. I'm sure there are plenty of them available, it just takes a watchful eye. Craigslist is a pretty good resource, but its jumbled with so many realtors now it makes it difficult to sift through. Thanks again.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffyrn View Post
Thanks, I just send my info to Promove. It looks like they offer a great service. I would love to try and find a condo or apartment that is rented out by a private owner who bought at the wrong time and is just sitting on it. I'm sure there are plenty of them available, it just takes a watchful eye. Craigslist is a pretty good resource, but its jumbled with so many realtors now it makes it difficult to sift through. Thanks again.
I know nothing of this group personally but have seen recs for it in other posts>>>
Braden Fellman

I see a lot of signs 'For Rent' just driving by--so this makes me think you are correct.

I don't know about prices and what's available in Avondale--but there are some beautiful old homes and it might be somewhat less expensive than Decatur proper. A nice part of town. Come and see.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:38 PM

Well, I have a meeting with Promove on Saturday, so hopefully it goes well. They seem awfully motivated, almost like a high pressure sales situation. I've been trying to come up with a pro con list of renting from a private owner compared with a management company. Let me know what you all think or needs to be added/subtracted.

Private Owner Pros
- Negotiable rent and lease
- Better quality apartment/condo/townhome for similar price or less

Private Owner Cons
- More time consuming
- Possible risky/immoral landlord

Management Pros- Easy to find and sign
- More amenitities
- reliable maintenance (dependent)

Management Cons
- Lower quality for price
- Bad management (dependent)

That's all I can think of right now. Please add to the list because I am sure there are plenty of pros and cons missing for each. Also if you have any positive/negative experiences with renting from private owners, or using Promove, I would love to hear them.

Last edited by duffyrn; 12-11-2008 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: Format messed up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta