U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-13-2008, 04:03 PM
 
Location: NE Georgia
2,788 posts, read 6,958,882 times
Reputation: 1400

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
As usual, on this board, I see that you are trying to take this issue down the path of liberal/conservative... but it looks like you're making up a poster to argue with.

He was sentenced to life without parole so he won't be up for parole... ever. And, as odd as it may seem, it's actually cheaper to house someone for life than to go through the legal system for a person sentenced to die. It's already cost us $3M for this bastard... how much more do you think it would cost once he went through all the mandatory appeals? The studies show that it would cost more... and you make prison sound so swell... you dudes are funny.
Sorry, but nothing of the sort. Frankly opinon, the ruling was absurd.
Now if you notice two words I used, TORT REFORM.
Until TORT REFORM happens it will always cost a mountain of dollars in appeals, but when the ABA controls most of the political capital, on both yes both, sides of the isle crime will continue to be the winner and the innocents the losers.

Now, stop trying to make this a conservative / liberal thing. They are both guilty on this deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-13-2008, 04:08 PM
 
Location: NE Georgia
2,788 posts, read 6,958,882 times
Reputation: 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
and you make prison sound so swell... you dudes are funny.
Again, did not say prison was "swell", but my first paragraph is law and mandatory. Do you have free medical care, education, clothing, TV, gym membership, etc.,
Heck a buddy of mine is a guard at a maximum security prision in Maryland, was called in on overtime during Thanksgiving because a lifer murderer did not want to watch a movie in the auditorium, yes they even have their own theater, and with the cell doors on automatic rolls, he had to go in and sit by the cell so Lifer could pout' on his cot.
Is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2008, 04:36 PM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,752 posts, read 10,043,027 times
Reputation: 3283
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
He was sentenced to life without parole so he won't be up for parole... ever. And, as odd as it may seem, it's actually cheaper to house someone for life than to go through the legal system for a person sentenced to die. It's already cost us $3M for this bastard... how much more do you think it would cost once he went through all the mandatory appeals?
Well, I agree with you as far as the fiscal argument goes. It's another discussion and argument about why we waste so much time and money going through 10, 15, even 20 years of appeals and motions. I'm not advocating stringing him up at the nearest tree, but this is an open and shut case. Is there anyone who doesn't believe he's guilty...that he was framed or that we have the wrong guy?

So why should it take 10, 15, or 20 years to carry out a death sentence? Why isn't it possible to go through the appeals process in 2 - 5 years and carry out the sentence? What legal issues in this case or in many cases justify the incredible waste of time and taxpayer money? Much of the process now has become appeals for appeals sake, due to folks like the ACLU just wanting to drag the process out as long as possible, in order for folks like you to make the argument you're making.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2008, 06:07 PM
 
2,683 posts, read 5,757,438 times
Reputation: 1419
I was really disappointed with the sentence. I think he should have been put to death, because for one thing he deserved it. The other reason I think he should have been taken out of existance is to get rid of this person who caused pain in the near past and helped criple the city's image, and has been very haunting and will continue to haunt the city now that he's kept alive, even though he's in prison. Every news article involving him was disturbing in one way or another. We will continue to hear about him, and he may make an escape attempt or somehow get an early parole. Also, even though putting him to death wouldn't have brought back the victims, I'm sure most of the victims family and loved ones would have wanted that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2008, 09:55 PM
 
Location: Mableton, GA USA (NW Atlanta suburb, 4 miles OTP)
9,913 posts, read 14,668,395 times
Reputation: 2748
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
Some people, including myself, do not believe in capital punishment but instead for life in prison without parole as THE worst sentence that can be given to someone.
A single bullet or injection is a lot less expensive (and thus a much smaller drain on society) than providing free room and board for the criminal for the next several decades, potentially.

Then again, our legal system seems to be more designed to provide income for lawyers than actually provide justice, so nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to the costs and convoluted processes involved in performing what should be a fairly simple task.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2008, 01:40 AM
 
2,758 posts, read 3,440,803 times
Reputation: 1073
Didn't Neal Boortz say something about Nichols having some Freemason ties? I don't really believe it but my uncle is convinced that's what prevented the death penalty (he's into conspiracy theories). My uncle's talking all this stuff about the Nichols' parents using their connects to spare their son, crazy right? I'm actually suprised that he's not deceased by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2008, 01:51 AM
 
Location: southern california
50,332 posts, read 47,711,417 times
Reputation: 41713
we waste enormous amounts of money on judicial system a fair trial and incarceration has come to be a penalty to the taxpayers of draconian proportion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2008, 04:50 AM
 
1,120 posts, read 1,559,197 times
Reputation: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
Some people, including myself, do not believe in capital punishment but instead for life in prison without parole as THE worst sentence that can be given to someone.


I don't think that's necessarily true. Have you looked at the prisoner/inmate personals? I couldn't hazard a guess as to the number of prisoner/inmate Web sites but there's quite a few. Pershaps 50 or so? I really don't know?

One inmate Web site focuses on the "hottest" inmates. Another Web site, no longer around, was quite sexual and graphic in nature.

I find it appalling that prisoners, apparently in most states, can post personal ads on the Internet. Why should death row prisoners, or any prisoner for that matter, have a correspondence love life? Sure, the prisoners all say they're lonely. As far as I know, loneliness and a jail cell are a packaged deal. Isn't that the way it's supposed to be? I guess our legal system has a different view and philosophy.

Taxpayers supply prisoners with great bodybuilding machines and weights, food, books, and even a pathway to a college education.

A lot of prisoners pump iron all day. They eat, sleep and pump iron. And then they exercise another body part.

It's my understanding that many conjugal visits have/had allowed sexual intercourse. A lot of prisoners are no doubt getting more "action" than law-abiding citizens.

One of the Melendez brothers, sentenced to life in prison, married a woman. He and his brother killed their wealthy parents in their Beverly Hills mansion quite a few years ago.

Our entire country is falling apart--including our legal system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2008, 08:19 AM
 
Location: Woodstock, GA
1,280 posts, read 1,842,425 times
Reputation: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Come on people:

Now with life in prison Lil Brian can go to school, get a college education,
Got news for ya': Brian already has a college education.

So we think that this $3M trial was a waste of money because it didn't turn out the way we wanted it to? We think that he "deserves" death? What benefit does it have to us if he is put to death? And before you say "saves taxpayers money" there are those that argue the legal costs of the appeals for a death sentence would be more than the cost of 40+ years of him rotting in prison. So in what other way does it benefit the rest of us if he is put to death? Revenge is not a sufficient reason to kill someone, even if he is a cold blooded murderer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2008, 08:27 AM
 
7,852 posts, read 12,764,550 times
Reputation: 2611
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
Got news for ya': Brian already has a college education.

So we think that this $3M trial was a waste of money because it didn't turn out the way we wanted it to? We think that he "deserves" death? What benefit does it have to us if he is put to death? And before you say "saves taxpayers money" there are those that argue the legal costs of the appeals for a death sentence would be more than the cost of 40+ years of him rotting in prison. So in what other way does it benefit the rest of us if he is put to death? Revenge is not a sufficient reason to kill someone, even if he is a cold blooded murderer.
Thank you...I'm sure many of the experts commenting in this thread have assumed he was an uneducated ghetto rat. Those are the same folks that support the death penalty...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top