U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 06:37 PM

2,664 posts, read 2,974,258 times
Default That was a waste of $3 million!

Brian Nichols avoids death sentence | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2008/12/12/brian_nichols_tape.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newst ab - broken link)

Hell, he could have pleaded guilty last year and saved the state $3 million for this result and destroying the indignant defendant funds.

I really wanna know wth the prosecution was thinking to allow 3 people who don't agree with the death penalty to even get a seat on the juror...

Pure waste of time and money....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 07:00 PM

691 posts, read 813,501 times
I agree it was a total waste of money. He would have plead guilty if the prosecution wasn't hell bent on sentencing him to death. From my understanding they didnt offer him a plea, he was the DA trophy case, and he failed. The guy was guilty, but they wanted to kill him so, he plead insanity and ran up the bills. He, or his attorney knew that they could drag everything out, because it was a high profile case. He would be afforded the best public representation since Nancy was watching. Most death penalty cases are poor low profile cases, which is rather sad. If you follow death penalty cases the defendant are usually poor and underepresented, frankly thats the only way you can convince jurors to sentence a person to death.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:28 PM

3,516 posts, read 7,317,824 times
Actually, it was my understanding that Paul Howard would have offered a plea, perhaps, but that at least one of the family members was adamant that a plea not be given.

I am so sorry for that family member and the others-- it has been a long time coming to trial, excruciating difficult to live through and now this. What a shame.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:13 PM

7,681 posts, read 9,713,116 times
Default Jury lets Brian Nichols live

Nichols Avoids Death Penalty; Judge Sentences Killer Saturday - News Story - WSB Atlanta

If there was ever a poster child for the death penalty, it's Brian Nichols. He admitted the crime (which included killing a Sheriff's deputy, a Judge, and a Federal agent), was caught on video, and is a menace to society. There was no doubt, reasonable or otherwise, as to guilt or the malice involved.

The jury should be ashamed for not doing its duty. I plan to write my state reps and the Gov to ask that they amend the law to allow the judge to impose the penalty in future cases such as this and not rely on people like this jury, who from all appearances, had neither the law nor justice in mind. It's not about your personal feelings....it's about following the law. In most states, being a cop killer is an automatic trip to death row if convicted. It should be in GA as well, and how anyone could allow otherwise is disgusting to me.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:44 PM

9,125 posts, read 21,183,519 times
The only reason I could think of them doing this (if they have brains) is that in Georgia, if you get a death penalty sentence by a jury, it automatically goes into an appeal. Maybe they were thinking the judge will definitely give him a no parole life sentence, which has fewer appeal opportunities, therefore costing tax payers less than appeals would do.

Either way, I would prefer that they have a public burning at the stake for the S.O.B., but then that's me.

** NOTE ** There is another thread on this same topic, so I'm combining the two.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:36 AM

9,125 posts, read 23,194,989 times
This whole situation could have been avoided with a 50-cent bullet. When they originally found him after the killing spree, one of the officers should have "seen him pull a gun", and put a bullet in his head before bringing him out of the house. The bastard killed four people, and now we get to pay for him to sit in a carpeted cell for the next 50 years while he watches cable TV, and probably makes a few million for having a book and/or TV movie made about the whole case. Our legal system is truly a joke sometimes.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:57 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,317,824 times
Actually, he can't profit, but given his violent tendencies and inability to control himself, if placed in the general population, I expect he won't be with us long.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:26 AM

1,652 posts, read 1,929,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Nichols Avoids Death Penalty; Judge Sentences Killer Saturday - News Story - WSB Atlanta

If there was ever a poster child for the death penalty, it's Brian Nichols. He admitted the crime (which included killing a Sheriff's deputy, a Judge, and a Federal agent), was caught on video, and is a menace to society. There was no doubt, reasonable or otherwise, as to guilt or the malice involved.

The jury should be ashamed for not doing its duty. I plan to write my state reps and the Gov to ask that they amend the law to allow the judge to impose the penalty in future cases such as this and not rely on people like this jury, who from all appearances, had neither the law nor justice in mind. It's not about your personal feelings....it's about following the law. In most states, being a cop killer is an automatic trip to death row if convicted. It should be in GA as well, and how anyone could allow otherwise is disgusting to me.
It's called living in a society with folks with differing opinions... i.e. democracy. The cop killer automatic death penalty idea is interesting but I don't blame some jurors for not sentencing him to death; I would have but then again I did not sit on the jury and I was not being asked to put a person's life in my hands. Life in a box with no hope is probably a worse punishment in any event. But yeah, what a waste of time and cash.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:27 AM

1,652 posts, read 1,929,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
This whole situation could have been avoided with a 50-cent bullet. When they originally found him after the killing spree, one of the officers should have "seen him pull a gun", and put a bullet in his head before bringing him out of the house. The bastard killed four people, and now we get to pay for him to sit in a carpeted cell for the next 50 years while he watches cable TV, and probably makes a few million for having a book and/or TV movie made about the whole case. Our legal system is truly a joke sometimes.
You obviously have as much respect for the law as Brian Nichols... and have no idea what maximum prison life is like. But I agree that he's a bastard.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:07 AM

7,681 posts, read 9,713,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
It's called living in a society with folks with differing opinions... i.e. democracy. The cop killer automatic death penalty idea is interesting but I don't blame some jurors for not sentencing him to death; I would have but then again I did not sit on the jury and I was not being asked to put a person's life in my hands. Life in a box with no hope is probably a worse punishment in any event. But yeah, what a waste of time and cash.
I disagree completely. If this case isn't one where the death penalty is called for, then what case is? What else does someone need to do, or what else does that state have to prove? The only consideration here should be the law...not your personal opinion. Do we want more "OJ trials" where jurors ignore evidence and law and simply vote what they want? I don't want to live in that country.

We have someone here that committed 4 cold blooded murders, including of a Judge and 2 police officers. He admitted the crime, was caught on camera escaping and was witnessed by trained law enforcement personnel committing the crime. What more do you or anyone else need?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta