U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 02:35 PM

45 posts, read 150,241 times

Advertisements

I hate traffic but, I really like Cobb county. I'm trying to decide, if I don't get a job transfer to Kennesaw, is it still worth purchasing a home in the Kennesaw, Marietta or Powder Springs area and commuting to Atl? I currently work close to Camp Creek.
I heard just getting down Barrett Pkwy to 75 is pretty BAD! Does anyone know how long it takes in the morning on 75 heading south from exit 269 to get to 285 south? Help!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2007, 08:25 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,024,551 times
Depends on how far west of 75 you're looking? That's the biggest problem, Stilesboro is a traffic jam, 41 the same, Barrett itself isn't all that bad compared to the other two. E/W connector towards Smyrna is bad.

Powder Springs is 278/78 log jam.

What's your relationship, kids situation?

Where on Camp creek?

Smyrna and Mableton are on the up and up and I use to live in Mableton right off of BankHead and work at Delta's IT shop at the airport, 285 west/south in the morning is a breeze to langford parkway(easy) to 85 south and camp creek. I-20 West in the morning isn't bad either.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:42 AM

7 posts, read 38,788 times
sleep in your car !
im for real , the atlanta traffic is God awful!!

Old 03-02-2007, 06:59 AM

304 posts, read 1,303,796 times
If you are talking about living in the west cobb area and commuting down to Camp Creek, it is not worth the stress. I used to commute from the Dallas Hwy/Mars Hill Rd. area to the Perimeter, and it would take me about 1 hr 20 minutes in rush hour. I tried all sorts of ways to get to work, too. I never took the freeways either because I would waste time sitting on them....all side roads for me. On side roads in the mornings I could get to the 75/285 area in about 50 minutes. Fortunately I can work from home now so traffic isn't an issue unless I have to meet with a client.

I think that even if you found a place in Kennesaw or Marietta that was close to the freeway, you would spend a lot of frustrating time in traffic.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 03-02-2007, 09:14 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,256,020 times
You can get a mini RV with a kitchenette and bathroom. They come in handy here. During the 3 hour commutes you can at least make coffee and pee while stuck in traffic.

Old 03-03-2007, 05:35 AM

2,819 posts, read 9,382,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
You can get a mini RV with a kitchenette and bathroom. They come in handy here. During the 3 hour commutes you can at least make coffee and pee while stuck in traffic.
Dont say that!
Remember, there are easements of grass on the sides of the highway. I'm sure this will give another developer an Idea to build RV developments along 85 / 75/ 20.

Did you hear the latest?
The Gwinnett County commission rejected the builder who wanted to build the high rise and "re-new" the decaying Gwinnett Center Mall. Nooo, can't renew anything, but they approved another development off Rt324 by the Mall of Georgia bringing the total of 500 new home droppings. Of course this was "after" the money was pulled to widen all of 324 and build a new new highway exit.
Result, more blight in one location and an additional 1,000 cars on a 2 lane road and one highway exit.

Maybe the RV idea isn't so bad

Old 03-03-2007, 06:59 AM

985 posts, read 5,298,938 times
Georgia, don't worry about Gwinnett place Mall area. It will be revitialize soon enough. I read an article somewhere that all commerical property value within Gwinnett place increased substantially since CID formed two years ago. It is true that Gwinnett board reject this high rise projects in the mall park lot, according to commissioner Green, there are six other proposals coming. Already, the previous approved high rise La Vella Bella is already 40% presold.

For better or worse, Gwinnett place mall area got a lot of car traffic.

Gwinnett Village cid, on the other hand, will have difficult to improve IMO since it is so huge area and compared to Gwinnett place mall area, it is in so much worse shape.

Old 03-05-2007, 03:37 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,505,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
Depends on how far west of 75 you're looking? That's the biggest problem, Stilesboro is a traffic jam, 41 the same, Barrett itself isn't all that bad compared to the other two. E/W connector towards Smyrna is bad.
The traffic levels on the E/W Connector vary tremendously depending on when you work. My wife leaves around 7:00am ni the morning, and it's really busy at that point in time. I leave for the office around 9:40am and get there around 10:00, and I drive through the heart of southern Smyrna (I start at Cooper Lake Road and follow the Connector until it turns into Cumberland Parkway and all the way to the Cumberland Mall), and there isn't that much traffic at all during that time or on my way back home around 6:45pm or so.

Old 03-06-2007, 04:30 PM

45 posts, read 150,241 times
Thanks to everyone who replied but, if the traffic is that bad would you consider buying a home in Henry county or is the value of property in Cobb county worth the traffic?

Old 03-07-2007, 09:15 AM

9,188 posts, read 30,256,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niko View Post
Thanks to everyone who replied but, if the traffic is that bad would you consider buying a home in Henry county or is the value of property in Cobb county worth the traffic?

There is no one answer you're going to get, niko. Everyone is different.

I live in Powder Springs. When I first moved out here I still worked in Chamblee (across the top-end on the other side of town). It took me on a good day, 1 hour and 15 minutes to get to work and 1 hour 35 minutes to get home. Again, on a GOOD day. I was only able to handle that for a few months and quit that job, taking one very close to my house for literally 35% less pay. I do save gas, have more time in my day, and most of all, less stress from dealing with traffic.

For ME, there is no way I'd live in Henry County and commute to Atlanta each day. But there are plenty of folks who do. Some people are just bothered by traffic much more than others. Only you know how much you can handle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or