U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 02:48 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,279,720 times

Advertisements

The bad news just keeps coming.

The November Georgia unemployment rate was 7.5 percent. Just a year ago it was 4.5 percent. Do not move to Georgia, or Atlanta, without a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 04:43 PM

3,116 posts, read 6,832,404 times
Totally agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-18-2008, 08:43 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,692,757 times
The evening news just said there are several places looking for employees, including Lockheed Martin and a hotel in Buckhead (I forgot which). They interviewed a woman from GSU's department for employment (whatever you call the dept that handles job fairs for students), and said the job fair in late January is looking for entry level employees starting around $45,000. Of course, this isn't open to the public. I'll tell ya, they made it sound like jobs should be a'plenty. Hmmm....

Old 12-19-2008, 12:31 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,019,441 times
Recruiters have been contacting me about Lockheed jobs.

We just hired a new guy two weeks ago. There are jobs, just not as many.

Old 12-19-2008, 04:59 AM

1,120 posts, read 2,279,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
The evening news just said there are several places looking for employees, including Lockheed Martin and a hotel in Buckhead (I forgot which). They interviewed a woman from GSU's department for employment (whatever you call the dept that handles job fairs for students), and said the job fair in late January is looking for entry level employees starting around $45,000. Of course, this isn't open to the public. I'll tell ya, they made it sound like jobs should be a'plenty. Hmmm....

These days, I think many people would be quite pleased with a $45,000 job.

I did see the segment last night on WXIA-TV about the Lockhead jobs. Apparently Lockhead continues to get quite a few contracts, and that's good news.

I guess the health care sector and teaching sector are two "relatively" (?) bright spots in the employment equation.

Some fields in teaching must be brighter than others??? I do recall reading a few posts on this Web site about teachers lamenting about problems finding work. With rising unemployment, no doubt some families with children will be relocating out-of-state. And that in itself, I would think, would make some teaching jobs less plentiful due to reduced school enrollments.

The health care sector may still be creating a few jobs. May????? Predictions are a little difficult. With advancing age, baby boomers will have more health problems. On the other hand many unemployed folks, now lacking health care insurance, are less inclined to seek health care--only in emergency situations. Then too more folks are hurting financially, so they will cut back on health care expenditures. Short-term there may be a few problems, but the health care sector will be creating millions of jobs down the road.

Regardless, the competition for most jobs must be keen. There's a reduced number of jobs with lots of applicants.

I've read where Obama may be spending 700 billion to create new jobs. Eventually that's going to stimulate the economy, but that may take a few years.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:01 AM

4,688 posts, read 6,616,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
Recruiters have been contacting me about Lockheed jobs.

We just hired a new guy two weeks ago. There are jobs, just not as many.

I agree. My friend is moving in Jan from Va. He interviewed for two jobs last week.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:54 AM

16,248 posts, read 21,310,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zel Ya View Post
The bad news just keeps coming.

The November Georgia unemployment rate was 7.5 percent. Just a year ago it was 4.5 percent. Do not move to Georgia, or Atlanta, without a job.
When you vote Republican, bad things tend to follow.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:08 AM

7,846 posts, read 14,877,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
When you vote Republican, bad things tend to follow.
Hmm...let's see...prior to 2006, Congress in Republican hands....after 2006, Congress in Democrat hands. Economy begins to tank in 2007.

My point here is that your comment is ridiculous, not that I tie anything to the change of power, although it does show your silly comment is just that. We could go to the politics forum and I'd be glad to explain how both parties share enough guilt to fill a warehouse.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:58 PM

321 posts, read 998,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Hmm...let's see...prior to 2006, Congress in Republican hands....after 2006, Congress in Democrat hands. Economy begins to tank in 2007.

My point here is that your comment is ridiculous, not that I tie anything to the change of power, although it does show your silly comment is just that. We could go to the politics forum and I'd be glad to explain how both parties share enough guilt to fill a warehouse.
Oh dont' forget ... 8 years of GOP White House. BTW your comment is completely asinine as well.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:47 PM

360 posts, read 871,228 times
2009 is going to be a rough year. I'm hoping 2010 will see some improvement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or