Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2008, 01:25 AM

7 posts, read 24,109 times

Advertisements

This may seem like a silly question, but I heard that because of the "red" soil, it was hard to grow anything. Therefore it sounds like one must depend on bought soil completely for a garden. (I'm new to gardening) Is this true? Is it difficult to grow a sizable garden (not potted) in ones yard? Or plant fruit trees/vines or various plants like flowers, veggies like collards, tomatoes, aloe, or herbs? Just curious. Also, does it depend on area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 06:42 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTia View Post
This may seem like a silly question, but I heard that because of the "red" soil, it was hard to grow anything. Therefore it sounds like one must depend on bought soil completely for a garden. (I'm new to gardening) Is this true? Is it difficult to grow a sizable garden (not potted) in ones yard? Or plant fruit trees/vines or various plants like flowers, veggies like collards, tomatoes, aloe, or herbs? Just curious. Also, does it depend on area?
Walter Reeves is a local expert on gardening and he can be heard on 750 AM/WSB radio on Saturday AM--IIRC around 8AM, The GA Gardener>>>>
Walter Reeves - Home of Atlanta Georgia's Southern Gardener - Glossary of Terms

One Saturday I heard him say that the potting soil available at most stores was worthless, devoid of nutrients as it is taken from swampland.

There is plenty of gardening in the red clay of GA. I believe this is Zone 6A or 6 B and many things grow well here. Water has become a scarce commodity so you may want to take that into consideration.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:59 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
A decent garden practically anywhere is going to require amending the soil- there's very few places in the country where you'd want to just dig a hole and plant your plants, unless you happen to have a very thick later of topsoil. That said, yes, you're probably going to need to do some work to the soil, especially if you're in a newer subdivision- the builders tend to just grade off the existing soil and throw down sod and pine straw, with no topsoil at all. Luckily, the bermuda sod that most use can grow in the clayey soil.

If you want to grow a thriving garden in a minimal amount of space, check out "Square Foot Gardening". The concept was originated around 20 years ago, and my father used it. The author used to have a PBS show on the subject, and recently updated his book. My daughter and I are going to do a SF garden this spring, and the amount of stuff you can grow in a 4'x8' space is truly amazing.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:08 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,618,588 times
Red clay can be amended and you don't have to buy potting soil, just do your own compost. Composting is not nearly as complicated as most people make it out to be. It's literally black gold and can transform any red clay into nutrient-rich soil in no time. We did this at our previous house, and we'll do it at this one as well.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:11 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Red clay can be amended and you don't have to buy potting soil, just do your own compost. Composting is not nearly as complicated as most people make it out to be. It's literally black gold and can transform any red clay into nutrient-rich soil in no time. We did this at our previous house, and we'll do it at this one as well.
Roslyn is right - soil amendment is easily accomplished with compost. If compost is not an option, go for something simple and organic like manure. Not only are you trying to improve the nutritional value of the soil, but you also need to improve the physical properties of the soil. Clay is clunky and manure or compost helps to loosen it for root growth.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 3,247 times
Georgia has one of the best climates for producing veggies year round. Check out www.seednharvest.com

Old 03-13-2009, 12:50 PM

167 posts, read 864,301 times
We are Zone 7 not 6. We make compost in the backyard and grow all sorts of vegetables, flowers, and have planted several fruit trees and shrubs. Georgia has a fantastic growing season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: